Sponsored by:

TA2 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2023, 10:06 PM
claykos
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
I've watched these cars race at Lime Rock several times and they all seem to "slide" around the track. I was watching them come out of West Bend and they seemed to have a lot of sideways movement. Almost like an old 911.

What can you say about their handling characteristics?

I love watching the TA races - they look like a blast to drive.
The handling is very neutral. I have not messed around with setup yet because I just want a solid baseline in the car. In general in my car the turn in is extremely sharp. Grip on exit is good but you have to roll into the throttle. There is definitely more on exit than I am using. The car has less variation in balance when on or off throttle than the various 911s I've driven (most modern being my 996 gt3r). The rear wants to come around very progressively if you add too much throttle. The front end feels much more positive than my 996. It does not handle curbs as well as the 996. The one adjustment I have made is softening up the bump all around a couple clicks and that helped calm it down. Brakes are frankly phenomenal but somehow don't "feel" as phenomenal as my 996....however deceleration levels are way better than my 996. I am seeing spikes of 1.8 G on deceleration with sustained at 1.6-1.7 when braking from high speeds in a straight line. I get lockup around 1.2 or 1.3 in my 996.

You can definitely slide them around a lot but it kills the tires. Best to keep it at modest slip angle. You may have been watching cars running the Hoosier bias plys rather than the pirelli radials. The bias plies like a lot of slip angle.

Last edited by claykos; 02-27-2023 at 10:07 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by claykos:
LuigiVampa (07-14-2023), ProCoach (02-28-2023), Veloce Raptor (02-28-2023)
Old 07-14-2023, 01:38 PM
claykos
Burning Brakes

Ran my first TA event at Laguna Seca a couple of months ago. It was a lot of fun! 100 miles (about 70 minutes) in these cars is no joke! Very tiring weekend as it ended up being only my dad (who is in his 70's) and myself as crew and the car needed a lot of attention as I broke the shifter (luckily a paddock neighbor had a spare!), had problems with the starter (turned out to be a failing electrical connector) and made several setup changes between the practice sessions. We worked through everything but spending hours underneath the car is not the best way to be "fresh" for a long race! At least in typical Monterey fashion the weather was amazing!

Finally edited some video from qualifying. The field was over 20 cars in class with a few XGT and SGT cars as well. The car was handling very poorly in the practice sessions but I made a lot of setup changes before quali and was able to drop nearly 2 seconds to qual at 1:31.4 which was good enough for 12th which I was reasonably happy with. Another couple tenths and I think I would've been 8th - so the mid field was very tight. I was having a very fun race and moved up a few spots but about midway through I made a bonehead mistake and with target fixation on the car in front followed him off on the exit of 6 - managed to keep it off the wall but race was over after that as I watched the whole field go by before pulling back on track. Hard to stay mentally focused for the rest of the race after that one. Overall a really cool experience. I plan to do the combined National/West Coast race at COTA in November. That will be another adventure. Definitely need to line up a bit more crew help for that one!

The following 6 users liked this post by claykos:
LuigiVampa (07-14-2023), M13S (07-14-2023), Matt Romanowski (07-14-2023), stownsen914 (07-14-2023), Veloce Raptor (07-14-2023), zbomb (07-17-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-14-2023, 07:27 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,435 Likes on 768 Posts

Cool! Let me know when you're at COTA
Old 07-14-2023, 10:45 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,378 Likes on 1,620 Posts

It looks like a visceral car to drive, and by that, I mean it looks like lots of fun. I don't know Laguna Seca but it appears you are driving the car well.
Old 07-14-2023, 11:08 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 887 Likes on 537 Posts

Sounds great! What type of tranny does it have?

I got a Mach 1 with all the track options and a 6 speed Tremec just to play with at a track "club" south of PHX. First real American car I've ever bought, other than pickups. Actually a blast and like nothing I've ever had. Big V8 sounds pretty good! And it is faster than I thought it'd be. Only issue is the weight...

This looks like fun as well!

/

/
Old 07-15-2023, 08:48 AM
Jas0nn
Pro

Received 315 Likes on 154 Posts

Looks like a blast, enjoy it! I love TA2; hopefully there's one on my future ...
Old 07-15-2023, 10:24 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,378 Likes on 1,620 Posts

Originally Posted by Jas0nn
Looks like a blast, enjoy it! I love TA2; hopefully there's one on my future ...
A TA2 car looks like it drives as if an old 911 had horsepower.
Old 07-15-2023, 11:02 PM
Jas0nn
Pro

Received 315 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
A TA2 car looks like it drives as if an old 911 had horsepower.
Exactly!
Old 07-16-2023, 05:47 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,691 Likes on 937 Posts

Your videos make that thing look like a blast.
Old 07-17-2023, 12:27 AM
claykos
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Cool! Let me know when you're at COTA
Will do! November 2-5....if you know anyone local who wants to lend a hand I will provide the beer!

Originally Posted by skl
Sounds great! What type of tranny does it have?

I got a Mach 1 with all the track options and a 6 speed Tremec just to play with at a track "club" south of PHX. First real American car I've ever bought, other than pickups. Actually a blast and like nothing I've ever had. Big V8 sounds pretty good! And it is faster than I thought it'd be. Only issue is the weight...

This looks like fun as well!
/
These cars have a NASCAR style 4 speed dog box (well formerly NASCAR until they switched to sequential boxes in the new cars this year or last). Mine is a Gforce GSR. Assume you mean Attesa? I am down in Tucson - almost joined but decided I didn't have the time to make it worth it.

I managed to stitch together a couple laps from one of the practice sessions where I had stuck a gopro in the footbox. Came out pretty decent! The LFB is fun and definitely takes some getting used to....I'm getting the hang of it but I have to use too much brain power and find myself not checking mirrors/etc as often as I should! Not automatic like RFB and heal/toe where I can think about racecraft and drive the car on autopilot at 95%. Need some more seat time.

The following 2 users liked this post by claykos:
Abelton (07-20-2023), zbomb (07-17-2023)

Quick Reply: TA2 Camaro