Sponsored by:

Aggression on public roads

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2022, 09:18 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,452 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Originally Posted by bgiere
What type of election would influence driving behaviors ? Where's the correlation ? I'm not claiming to know but I'd wager it has no bearing. I'm just curious is all.
No correlation?
Defund the police.
A direct result of an election.

If people know they can get away with pretty much anything, where’s the deterrent to behave?
I could be alone on this, but to me, the way people are driving on the roads today is a direct result of much less traffic enforcement which is a direct result of defund the police which is a direct result of an election.
Hell, pretty much everything that’s wrong with this country right now is a direct result of an election. There, I said it. Now ban me already!!!
The following 5 users liked this post by dgrobs:
ducsfly (01-02-2023), Just one more (01-04-2023), LuigiVampa (01-01-2023), skl (01-02-2023), Veloce Raptor (01-01-2023)
Old 12-31-2022, 09:34 PM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Received 372 Likes on 175 Posts

An increase in narcissism and entitlement in society. A dramatic decrease in traffic enforcement. (I have never, ever seen someone pulled over for aggressive/dangerous driving. Undercover police in this area could make enormous revenue simply by driving among the daily commute and ticketing people for overly aggressive and dangerous driving.) I think we're on to something here. I think there's also a depersonalization that occurs when we get in our cars, that encourages us to act in ways toward each other that we would never do if we met on foot on the sidewalk, or standing in line at the grocery, for example. You tend to be more civil and forgiving when you have to look someone in the eye. That's why I also think dark window tints further encourage bad behavior among some drivers--anonymity can breed antisocial behavior.
The following 7 users liked this post by paradocs98:
BFT3.2 (01-01-2023), Formulabob (01-02-2023), ldamelio (01-01-2023), LuigiVampa (01-01-2023), Manifold (01-02-2023), ProCoach (12-31-2022), Veloce Raptor (01-01-2023) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-31-2022, 09:48 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by paradocs98
An increase in narcissism and entitlement in society. A dramatic decrease in traffic enforcement. (I have never, ever seen someone pulled over for aggressive/dangerous driving. Undercover police in this area could make enormous revenue simply by driving among the daily commute and ticketing people for overly aggressive and dangerous driving.) I think we're on to something here. I think there's also a depersonalization that occurs when we get in our cars, that encourages us to act in ways toward each other that we would never do if we met on foot on the sidewalk, or standing in line at the grocery, for example. You tend to be more civil and forgiving when you have to look someone in the eye. That's why I also think dark window tints further encourage bad behavior among some drivers--anonymity can breed antisocial behavior.
Well said. 👍
Old 12-31-2022, 09:55 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by bgiere
What type of election would influence driving behaviors ? Where's the correlation ? I'm not claiming to know but I'd wager it has no bearing. I'm just curious is all.
we have a general breakdown in society under current policies and acelerating right onto our streets. What we really should be worried about is this...cop killed in shootout with guy out on bail for felony who should have been in jail.

​​​​​​​
The following users liked this post:
Veloce Raptor (01-01-2023)
Old 12-31-2022, 10:12 PM
CaymanR99
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Narcissism is a large factor in society today, as paradocs98 noted. I think that’s a major contributor to election results and the defund the police movement, among other current societal norms. It is definitely all about me me me me.

This has been building for a few generations. When I was young a cashier would make small talk with you while making change. Now you get a self service checkout at many stores. More depersonalization in the name of efficiency (decreased costs).

And If you think the roads and highways are bad have you tried navigating a large parking lot lately? A lot more dangerous than racing…
The following 2 users liked this post by CaymanR99:
LZRD GRN (01-01-2023), Veloce Raptor (01-01-2023)
Old 12-31-2022, 11:05 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 104 Posts

Been fortunate locally, I guess, for now. Every now and then I see complete ***-hattery, but it's rare enough.

The other day was driving into the city in the passing lane and kinda slowly (70?) passing slower traffic, when a Mercedes came up from behind full Autobahn mode. I saw him coming, signalled to move over, and was about half out of the way when he forced by with a few inches to spare. He made it 20 yards to the next car and rode his ***, eventually using all the lanes to pass on the right and left and basically go nowhere. Chalked it up to youth and stupidity.

But overall, we've been been spared the worst of the decline locally. We moved about 40 minutes out of the city, and can't be happier here. Everyone is super friendly at the local grocery, bank, liquor store, post office etc. It's really very safe and civilized, and I know we're lucky. We spend more and more time travelling, we were in Portugal and had a good conversation with a financial advisor from Philadelphia - his wife is a prosecutor and he was very forthcoming about the changes occurring in his city. It's dramatically less safe, in his opinion. I've had amazing times in his town, Dallas games at old Veterans Stadium - and even then I felt safe. Same with NYC at all hours of the night, SF, Chicago, etc. We've adjusted out plans itineraries and will spend our time and $ in Europe until this gets sorted out. Confident it will, but definitely a trend that needs to be reversed.

Best,

Matt

Last edited by Matt Lane; 12-31-2022 at 11:07 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Matt Lane:
911-140.6 (01-02-2023), Veloce Raptor (01-01-2023)
Old 01-01-2023, 12:48 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,340 Likes on 1,608 Posts

There are two sides to the aggressive driver issue. There are the A-hole aggressive drivers and then there are the normal drivers made aggressive by the passive aggressive drivers.

My town's Facebook 411 page is littered with posts where people say they are driving under the speed limit because they know the person in back of them is "in a rush". You should see these narcissistic posts where people talk about how they deliberately make other drivers mad in the name of safety.

Everyone knows the difference between a person who wants to drive at or below the speed limit, and the person who keeps tapping the brakes and looking in the rear view mirror, hoping for a response. Some aggression is manufactured.
The following 3 users liked this post by LuigiVampa:
Gary R. (01-02-2023), NastyHabits (01-01-2023), Veloce Raptor (01-01-2023)
Old 01-01-2023, 08:27 AM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Received 269 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Lane
The other day was driving into the city in the passing lane and kinda slowly (70?) passing slower traffic, when a Mercedes came up from behind full Autobahn mode. I saw him coming, signalled to move over, and was about half out of the way when he forced by with a few inches to spare. He made it 20 yards to the next car and rode his ***, eventually using all the lanes to pass on the right and left and basically go nowhere. Chalked it up to youth and stupidity.
Sounds like this driver was both very important and has bad-azz driving skills! Those are the ones I watch out for.
The following users liked this post:
Veloce Raptor (01-01-2023)
Old 01-01-2023, 11:25 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,372 Likes on 794 Posts

Nothing irks me more than drivers that cutoff a line of traffic by squeezing in right by the exit. Youd never see mr. Badass doing the same in line at dunkin donuts. Then you have like 30% of people driving around with their highbeams on, because its all about them seeing of course. This says nothing of all the idiotic, distracted, and just plain dangerous manuvers you see on a daily basis here in nj.

I would LOVE to play traffic cop for a day.
The following 2 users liked this post by Quadcammer:
stownsen914 (01-01-2023), Veloce Raptor (01-01-2023)
Old 01-01-2023, 11:37 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
This says nothing of all the idiotic, distracted, and just plain dangerous manuvers you see on a daily basis here in nj.

I would LOVE to play traffic cop for a day.
GSP—bumper to bumper traffic moving at 90 mph
Old 01-01-2023, 11:47 AM
cairo94507
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 72 Posts

In my opinion, this is tied to the last election when Sleepy Joe was elected. Ever since there has been less and less accountability for certain groups which have been elevated to untouchable status. Now they want to not enforce traffic infractions because they disproportionately impact the "underserved". Yeah, great. The part of society that creates all of the chaos on the roads is now going to be free to drive even worse than they already do. This is the Broken Windows model on full display.
The following 2 users liked this post by cairo94507:
dgrobs (01-06-2023), LuigiVampa (01-01-2023)
Old 01-01-2023, 12:22 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cairo94507
In my opinion, this is tied to the last election when Sleepy Joe was elected. Ever since there has been less and less accountability for certain groups which have been elevated to untouchable status. Now they want to not enforce traffic infractions because they disproportionately impact the "underserved". Yeah, great. The part of society that creates all of the chaos on the roads is now going to be free to drive even worse than they already do. This is the Broken Windows model on full display.
Yes sir…..+1
Old 01-01-2023, 12:38 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,340 Likes on 1,608 Posts

Bad driving is equal parts narcissism and politics, with a dash of prius/suburu.
Old 01-01-2023, 12:40 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

We are seeing it more and more down here in central Florida since pandemic, which coincidentally (or maybe not?) is being flooded by northern transplants some of which are certainly originally from Long Island. LOL
The following 3 users liked this post by Mark Dreyer:
9914s (01-02-2023), Formulabob (01-02-2023), paradocs98 (01-01-2023)
Old 01-01-2023, 12:41 PM
J. Kid
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

I've noticed a dramatic rise in aggression starting with the pandemic on urban highways. Very little change on low congestion areas.

Pretty sure there are aggressive idiots throughout the political spectrum causing these issues. Now you all got me curious and I'll try to catch their bumper stickers to see if it says "Hands off my Uterus" or " F-Joe"

Quick Reply: Aggression on public roads