Sponsored by:

981 CS or 991.1 base for track fun?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2023, 10:52 AM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default 981 CS or 991.1 base for track fun?

Need a little help from the Rennlist track going group.

The kids are starting to hit college and not need me as much, so I'm looking at getting back into the Porsche family with something for 70/30 track to street use. Watching the budget a bit and wanting a NA engine, I've been leaning toward the 981 Cayman S, but the wife is seeing some 991.1 base cars that are close to the price point, so she has me second guessing my thoughts.

History:
1. Started with a 993 and got into DE and then to some minor club racing. It was a C4S, so the platform just wouldn't work, so after 8 years it was time to move onto Porsche #2.
2. Picked up a 964 C2 which immediately became a track car and club racer. After a few years and growing kids and life complications I de-converted it to a dual purpose car with bolt in cage and such, so could DE and daily the car. After 8 years and moving to FL from VA it was time for it to go as I needed something a little more reliable, so on to Porsche #3.
3. Picked up a 997.2 Carrera S which I kept pretty stock w/ just a bolt in bar and seats, but used it more on the street than on the track. After 4 years it was time to simplify a little, so let that go.

QUESTION: So after 20 years of rear engine 911 variants, am I making a mistake of going to a mid engine? The 911s have gotten big compared to the Cayman (and older air cooled cars), so I lean toward the Cayman here. The track I frequent is Sebring which is completely different from Mid-Atlantic tracks (Summit Point, etc.) and since I can't compete on $$ with all the GT3 RS cars, I'll have to be OK with constantly giving point bys, but that is OK.

So please share your thoughts/experiences on 981 Cayman S vs 991.1 Carrera Base as a mostly track toy...

Thanks Group!!!
Old 01-21-2023, 01:03 PM
ParadiseGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 829 Likes on 460 Posts

My take is at that pace tier you'd want the more playful, active car, so I'd 2nd your instinct and say probably the 981 Cayman S.

Sebring is also my home track. Have run cars of various capabilities & lap times there and elsewhere. The slower the pace the more I want the car to move around a bit, give me something to think about and learn. Where some movement at the back end = faster. You get that more from front & mid-engine platforms.

Even a base 911 is pretty tied down, nature is it wants to squat and go.

Tried to find some reliable weight figures -- Cayman might be ~200 lbs. lighter? A relevant variable if I have that about right. And I'd imagine the track mods might be more abundant and economical for the 981 than base 911?

Can't go wrong with either, of course. See you out there sometime with whatever you decide on!
Old 01-21-2023, 01:38 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 809 Likes on 495 Posts

It depends on your goals and budget. If you want to win your DE and minimize point bys go with the most powerful car you can afford especially with tracks that have long straights like Sebring and go for the 911. If you are there for the learning experience I would go for an older steel chassis car like the 997 or 987 that are lighter and easier on consumables and where the nannies can be turned off as you progress your learning. If you are keeping the car street legal you will find the Cayman more nimble but less powerful and less capable from a braking perspective due to its rear suspension and weight distribution. Both are great cars.
Old 01-21-2023, 05:19 PM
Olemiss540
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 184 Posts

Since you said 70/30 I would go with the lighter mid engined car. If you would have said 30/70 I would have said get the 911.

The 911 has turned into the touring sports car and the Cayman has taken over the sporting sports car side IMO.
Old 01-22-2023, 08:55 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the comments, confirms my thoughts and plans. Stopped by the DE at Sebring a week or two ago and there were definitely more cayman participants than 911.

looking forward to getting back in the family and having track weekends again.

-skip
Old 01-22-2023, 09:55 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

You didn’t state a budget, but a 981 GTS or a 981 GT4 would be great options with a bit more power. Plus all the Clubsport parts are basically bolt on, giving an easy mod path (less true with the GTS than the GT4).
Old 01-22-2023, 11:50 PM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Received 451 Likes on 334 Posts

If I were building a new DE car I'd start with a 09-12 3.4l Cayman. Your call on a manual or PDK. Sport Chrono can be added for a PDK. Adjustable LCAs for more negative camber. A third radiator if a PDK. I'd replace the hydraulic steering with electric for reliability. Upgrade the suspension with X73. Dedicated 18s with track tires. Keeping the car street legal becomes a challenge. LWBS and six way harness. At minimum a Hybrid HANS. IMO the standard brakes with Sebro slotted, race pads and track fluid are more than sufficient.

If you have the budget a similarly equipped 981. Sport Chrono is a must for a PDK. A 15-16 GTS comes with a standard third radiator, a few more HP, SC, PTV and performance items. You can find a similarly equipped S add the third radiator and save $$$. The different HP between the S and GTS is an ECU tune. .
The following users liked this post:
sonorous (01-23-2023)
Old 01-23-2023, 07:41 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 636 Likes on 346 Posts

I recently sold a 981 CS to buy my current 996 Cup car. My CS was dual purpose. Get the Cayman. You say you’d be giving a lot of point byes to GT drivers, and that’s possibly true. However a good driver in a 981 CS will give those drivers everything they can handle in the turns, and you’ll likely keep a lot of the less well driven GT cars in your rear view mirror.
The following 5 users liked this post by Mark Dreyer:
dgrobs (01-23-2023), IPSA (01-23-2023), JRB (01-30-2023), Papamurphdog (01-30-2023), sonorous (01-23-2023)
Old 01-23-2023, 10:13 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,896 Likes on 1,698 Posts

981 CS, hands down.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

The following 2 users liked this post by ProCoach:
IPSA (01-23-2023), sonorous (01-23-2023)
Old 01-23-2023, 11:35 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Wish the GTS or GT4 were within the budget, but for now I can afford and stay married with a 981 Cayman S (with the right options), so going that direction. Awesome and helpful comment validating my direction.

Originally Posted by Kitc2246
If I were building a new DE car I'd start with a 09-12 3.4l Cayman. Your call on a manual or PDK. Sport Chrono can be added for a PDK. Adjustable LCAs for more negative camber. A third radiator if a PDK. I'd replace the hydraulic steering with electric for reliability. Upgrade the suspension with X73. Dedicated 18s with track tires. Keeping the car street legal becomes a challenge. LWBS and six way harness. At minimum a Hybrid HANS. IMO the standard brakes with Sebro slotted, race pads and track fluid are more than sufficient.

If you have the budget a similarly equipped 981. Sport Chrono is a must for a PDK. A 15-16 GTS comes with a standard third radiator, a few more HP, SC, PTV and performance items. You can find a similarly equipped S add the third radiator and save $$$. The different HP between the S and GTS is an ECU tune. .
Kitc…
Everything you mentioned is in alignment with my plan. For me, it won’t be that difficult to keep dual use as I will have a nice DD, so it will only be a fun weekend car. I used my 964 on motion race suspension as a DD in Washington, DC for over a year when I had to.

I’m very excited about trying something new (non 911) and getting back to the track shortly.

thanks Rennlisters!

Last edited by swftiii; 01-24-2023 at 12:52 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ProCoach (01-24-2023)

Quick Reply: 981 CS or 991.1 base for track fun?