Sponsored by:

Narrow 4 Post Lift

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2023, 10:54 PM
Arminho
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Narrow 4 Post Lift

I was told to post in here because you guys apparently are the most knowledgeable of the bunch.
My 992 Turbo S should be arriving in April (fingers crossed), and I need a 4 post lift for the garage to also store my 74 911 vertically.
We have a large garage but it's still a 2 car wide garage door.

Garage dimensions:
233 in or 19.5 ft wide
126 in or 10.5 ft tall
260in or 21.75 ft deep

Can anyone recommend a narrow 4 post lift, somewhere between 100" to 105" max width?
So far, the only one I have found is a Bendpak HD7 (100" wide), it's hydraulic but requires a compressor due to pneumatic locking. Not really jazzed about having a pancake compressor in the garage as well. Link to lift
Any thoughts, ideas, or recommendations?

Thanks,
Armin

Last edited by Arminho; 02-02-2023 at 11:52 PM.
Old 02-03-2023, 10:30 AM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 190 Likes on 163 Posts

Armin,

Not sure if you'd be able to install a lift without sacrificing a parking spot in your garage ... you have to give room to be able to drive the car in and then onto the lift.
Unless your plan is to install it in the middle and keep the second car parked on top ?
My garage is 24 x 32 and i have a two post lift in the middle and i find that tight ...

I would take careful measurements to make sure your plan is feasable !

Cheers
Phil
Old 02-03-2023, 10:37 AM
Arminho
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wildcat077
Armin,

Not sure if you'd be able to install a lift without sacrificing a parking spot in your garage ... you have to give room to be able to drive the car in and then onto the lift.
Unless your plan is to install it in the middle and keep the second car parked on top ?
My garage is 24 x 32 and i have a two post lift in the middle and i find that tight ...

I would take careful measurements to make sure your plan is feasable !

Cheers
Phil
Hi Phil,

I'm fairly certain I have enough room to have a lift on the left side and my wife's car on the right side. Just trying to find the most narrow lift option. I have found some lifts that are 104.5" and some that are 115".
Some of them have a mounting bracket that allows the motor to be mounted towards the front or back of one of the posts, and not on the outside (lateral) part of the post, this would save me some width.

Armin
Old 02-03-2023, 10:50 AM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 190 Likes on 163 Posts

I have to say i don't use my garage for parking , we have three daily driver vehicles and they all sleep outside ...
My SP2 car is permanently in the air on my lift during the Winter and my 89 911 sleeps in the race trailer on the side of the house.
You'll definitely have to do some careful planning/ shopping to find the correct one to fit your needs.Keep us posted !

Cheers
Phil
Old 02-03-2023, 10:52 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 490 Likes on 327 Posts

I've got a Bendpak HD7w and I love it. Yes, you need an air compressor to run the locks, but that's really not a big deal. Well, for me at least as I already had an air compressor to run other tools in my garage, plus the bridge jacks for the Bendpak also need air to run....
Old 02-03-2023, 04:03 PM
PeteAZ
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 19 Posts

Be cautious going too narrow. I was originally going to get the HD-9ST (narrow width), but the drive-thru/outside edge of runways clearance will not accommodate parking much modern stuff underneath or on top. The standard HD-9 allows drive thru & storage clearance for Z06/R8/RS6 with 1 door click on driver's side for me for entry/egress. It is an extremely tight fit, but does only fill one traditional garage spot. The narrow width would have been unusable in my situation.

Air locks are no big deal. I just run a tiny little Ryobi One+ compressor.

EDIT: Your depth could also be an issue depending on your garage door setup. It only worked in my garage because they were able to install the lift all the way back against the wall where it is taller. You can see in the image that any less depth and even the R8 wouldn't get cleared by the door when it is open.

Last edited by PeteAZ; 02-03-2023 at 04:06 PM.
Old 02-03-2023, 04:24 PM
Arminho
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PeteAZ
Be cautious going too narrow. I was originally going to get the HD-9ST (narrow width), but the drive-thru/outside edge of runways clearance will not accommodate parking much modern stuff underneath or on top. The standard HD-9 allows drive thru & storage clearance for Z06/R8/RS6 with 1 door click on driver's side for me for entry/egress. It is an extremely tight fit, but does only fill one traditional garage spot. The narrow width would have been unusable in my situation.

Air locks are no big deal. I just run a tiny little Ryobi One+ compressor.

EDIT: Your depth could also be an issue depending on your garage door setup. It only worked in my garage because they were able to install the lift all the way back against the wall where it is taller. You can see in the image that any less depth and even the R8 wouldn't get cleared by the door when it is open.

Yes I think I will have enough room to move the lift all the way towards the back of the garage like you. I need to put the 992 Turbo S below. Not so worried about the narrow body 74 going up on top.
I guess I need to figure out how wide the Turbo S is from exterior of wheel to exterior of wheel. Where could I find this? I just have dimensions for the width of the actual car with mirrors which is 79 inches and about 75 with mirrors folded in. These don't tell me much.

Armin
Old 02-03-2023, 04:28 PM
Arminho
Rennlist Member

Upon a quick google search, I see that it's called track width and the measurements are Track width front (inches/mm) 62.4 in. / 1583 mm Track width rear (inches/mm) 63.0 in. / 1600 mm

The narrow Bendpak model has 75.5" track width of ramps, so I think I should be good with 6 inches on each side or so for the Turbo S
Old 02-03-2023, 08:01 PM
CAinCA
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 45 Posts

If your hang up on the pancake compressor is noise I'd recommend California Air Tools compressors. I have their 2hp, 10 gallon model and it's pretty quiet. I used mine to provide air for a small CNC mill. I used it ~15 hours a week for a few years.

https://www.californiaairtools.com/
Old 02-03-2023, 11:17 PM
PeteAZ
Advanced

Originally Posted by Arminho
Upon a quick google search, I see that it's called track width and the measurements are Track width front (inches/mm) 62.4 in. / 1583 mm Track width rear (inches/mm) 63.0 in. / 1600 mm

The narrow Bendpak model has 75.5" track width of ramps, so I think I should be good with 6 inches on each side or so for the Turbo S
The track dimensions that you are quoting are incorrect I'm afraid. Not the numbers themselves, but your interpretation of them. Track is hub-to-hub. The width of a TS is about 75" so the narrow Bendpak seems like it would fit, but it is going to be TIGHT. Zero margin for error and would be a total PITA. You will not have 6" of clearance on either side with the narrow lift.

For reference, I have the R8 on top of my HD-9 and there is about 2" of 'excess' ramp/runway on either side. I park the Z cocked to the PS and the rear quarters/mirror are about 1-2" from the pillar, which gives me enough room to get one click on the DS door.

My comp car is only slightly wider than the R8 and did not come close to fitting on or under a narrow Bendpak.

In my experience, you will not be able to do narrow with a wide-body 992.

YMMV.

Last edited by PeteAZ; 02-03-2023 at 11:22 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by PeteAZ:
Arminho (02-03-2023), silverscooby27 (02-11-2023)
Old 02-03-2023, 11:38 PM
Arminho
Rennlist Member

THIS is the answer and advice I was hoping to get. Thank you so much @PeteAZ !!! I really appreciate it.
Old 02-04-2023, 12:09 AM
Arminho
Rennlist Member

The track dimensions that you are quoting are incorrect I'm afraid. Not the numbers themselves, but your interpretation of them. Track is hub-to-hub. The width of a TS is about 75" so the narrow Bendpak seems like it would fit, but it is going to be TIGHT. Zero margin for error and would be a total PITA. You will not have 6" of clearance on either side with the narrow lift.

For reference, I have the R8 on top of my HD-9 and there is about 2" of 'excess' ramp/runway on either side. I park the Z cocked to the PS and the rear quarters/mirror are about 1-2" from the pillar, which gives me enough room to get one click on the DS door.

My comp car is only slightly wider than the R8 and did not come close to fitting on or under a narrow Bendpak.

In my experience, you will not be able to do narrow with a wide-body 992.

YMMV.

For what it's worth, I do plan on keeping the Turbo S below, I have a feeling the 74 will stay up on top.
I need to see what type of lifts folks are using for the Turbo S
Old 02-04-2023, 04:20 PM
PeteAZ
Advanced

I would maybe take a look at parking-specific lifts for your application. The Bendpak PL-6000DC might be a perfect option for you, especially if you have the depth to have the top car all the way back against the wall with enough pillar-to-door length to park the 992 under, but still forward enough that you can open the doors easily. Just watch your head - I found that out the hard (and painful) way.

An Autostacker might also work.

Good luck!
Old 02-04-2023, 05:10 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Is look at he double width option

HD-9SWX

it would allow for potentially another car and it gets the posts out of the middle of the door
Old 02-05-2023, 01:44 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,455 Likes on 1,009 Posts

I would maybe take a look at parking-specific lifts for your application. The Bendpak PL-6000DC might be a perfect option for you, especially if you have the depth to have the top car all the way back against the wall with enough pillar-to-door length to park the 992 under, but still forward enough that you can open the doors easily. Just watch your head - I found that out the hard (and painful) way.

An Autostacker might also work.

Good luck!
I have 2 Auto Stackers (Bendpak), and turned a 3 car garage into a 5 car garage.
Can’t work underneath the car, but as far as storage goes, these lifts are awesome.
Working on the wife to get 3rd one, but that’s kind of a slow battle right now.
Highly recommend these lifts.

Quick Reply: Narrow 4 Post Lift