Junior Karting Miami/South Florida

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2023, 08:49 AM
jhalliman
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Junior Karting Miami/South Florida

Hey all,

I do some endurance racing myself and naturally my sons have taken an interest in racing. I'm looking for groups who are running kids karts in S FL to get them more involved now or in the future as they meet size/age requirements. My oldest is 4 years old, but a tall 4 (just under 4 feet tall) so he's putting time in on my racing sim regularly already and wants to get some basics started. I see that the electric karts up in Medley have juniors starting at 48" but that's all that I can find. I'm not far from the AMR Homestead kart course but I only see adult karting listed on their site.

We'd be willing to drive a bit, so anything from Stuart-or-so to Naples is probably OK, but if there's anything in Miami-Dade, Broward or Palm Beach county that would be the easiest.

Any advice is appreciated!
Old 03-11-2023, 01:29 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,688 Likes on 935 Posts

I don't know about florida but I read through the regs in my area and age is more of a factor. Competitive where I am starts at you have to be "7" (must turn 8 the year you drive). I think you can start practicing at 6 though where I am. There should be regs by the sanctioning body in your area that outline the age requirements. Find out whoever runs the competitive karting in your area and on their website they should have a link to the regs, or at least the sanctioning body that should have a link to the regs.

My daughter is 4 also and i'd like her to try it out asap, but we still have quite the wait (I put her on iracing when she was 3 but that was too young lol. At <2 I started in our basement on her rideable things chasing her around a course. At 2.5 I started chasing her around in her power wheels, big smile on my face when I saw her rocking it back and forth trying to go faster lolol).

I can speak for my daughter in that at age 4.5 she's still not developed enough to understand the point of running a course though. Winning is very important to her but the concept of driving a course and trying to go faster unless she's trying to get away from me still isn't there yet. Plus I question at 4.5 if she has the understanding of the danger involved with a kart. I remember when I was 6-7 a tire shop put on a little kids kart timed autocross thing to try, and I remember one girl her parents told her to not use the brakes, and she didn't, right into the haybale at the end of the brake box. Also, if my daughter crashed it might turn her off from karting forever. My plan even if we could go karting today is to wait 6ish before I see if she wants to go karting. Needs more mental development and physical development before its a good idea, at least for my daughter.

Last edited by Zhao; 03-11-2023 at 01:30 PM.
Old 03-11-2023, 01:46 PM
jhalliman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Zhao
I don't know about florida but I read through the regs in my area and age is more of a factor. Competitive where I am starts at you have to be "7" (must turn 8 the year you drive). I think you can start practicing at 6 though where I am. There should be regs by the sanctioning body in your area that outline the age requirements. Find out whoever runs the competitive karting in your area and on their website they should have a link to the regs, or at least the sanctioning body that should have a link to the regs.

My daughter is 4 also and i'd like her to try it out asap, but we still have quite the wait (I put her on iracing when she was 3 but that was too young lol. At <2 I started in our basement on her rideable things chasing her around a course. At 2.5 I started chasing her around in her power wheels, big smile on my face when I saw her rocking it back and forth trying to go faster lolol).

I can speak for my daughter in that at age 4.5 she's still not developed enough to understand the point of running a course though. Winning is very important to her but the concept of driving a course and trying to go faster unless she's trying to get away from me still isn't there yet. Plus I question at 4.5 if she has the understanding of the danger involved with a kart. I remember when I was 6-7 a tire shop put on a little kids kart timed autocross thing to try, and I remember one girl her parents told her to not use the brakes, and she didn't, right into the haybale at the end of the brake box. Also, if my daughter crashed it might turn her off from karting forever. My plan even if we could go karting today is to wait 6ish before I see if she wants to go karting. Needs more mental development and physical development before is a good idea, at least for my daughter.
For sure. I think it’s a kid by kid thing. His younger brother spoke much earlier than him but is far less coordinated even at the same age in terms of electric cars etc. I agree on the competitive aspect. I’m just looking to get him seat time to learn to look ahead and take course directions and basic flagging rules.
Old 03-11-2023, 07:59 PM
Zhao
Drifting

The amateur gokart place local to me doesn't have an age requirement, just height (also 48in). I guess it's seat time, but I dont think those are the best places to learn. $$$$ for very little seat time and it'll be throttled down to snails paces so'd likely never need to use the brakes or even slow down for corners regardless of how you took them (which isn't exactly teaching good habits). Better than nothing and ok to start out I guess but I think it'd lose value fast. I think iracing is probably better to teach even though it's not real than those types of places but I am considering using one of those places to gauge if she actually wants to do it prior to investing in a kart.

As far as starting them out before they're allowed for the karting clubs, I'm not sure about tracks in your area but I used to be able to rent a full track for about $100 outside of normal channels if it was just me or a couple guys if it wasn't rented by anyone that day (owner basically figured if he was doing paperwork there anyway might as well take some money in for people he doesn't have to worry about). I guess if you race enough and meet the track owners that may be an option.

My ideal scenario for getting into it would be renting the track and doing follow the leader stuff chasing them down myself or having them chase me to motivate them to see how better lines = faster and learn how to pass and all that prior to going competitive. That would potentially bypass the age requirement karting clubs have (maybe you're lucky and there is no age requirement in florida though!). I'm thinking the key to kids enjoying it is being good at it, so if they can win out of the gate competitively there is a higher chance they'll love doing it and stick with it so I totally get you wanting to start them younger than normally allowed. I also think if they think they're good at it, they'll be more motivated to learning faster. I can still remember how I thought at 7 years old and what I was slightly ahead of my peers at I really enjoyed and focused on and got further and further ahead.

Last edited by Zhao; 03-11-2023 at 08:01 PM.
Old 03-11-2023, 09:25 PM
shft22
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

I have been out of the karting scene for some years, but South FL. had a very large Karting community. It all started with a small but very technical track on one of the old Miami Jai Alai parking lots and the it moved to the Homestead race track.

I know the Homestead track is still there and it is very active, check out their web site for schedules and other information. Also Rysa Racing is a local race shop that supports karting, the owner Rudy is a great guy and loves to work and develop drivers of all ages. There used to be a cadet class that started kids as young as 6, but I don't know if that has changed, Rudy be a good guy to talk to about all the details.

http://www.homesteadkarting.net/

http://rysaracing.com/

Old 03-11-2023, 09:36 PM
jhalliman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by shft22
I have been out of the karting scene for some years, but South FL. had a very large Karting community. It all started with a small but very technical track on one of the old Miami Jai Alai parking lots and the it moved to the Homestead race track.

I know the Homestead track is still there and it is very active, check out their web site for schedules and other information. Also Rysa Racing is a local race shop that supports karting, the owner Rudy is a great guy and loves to work and develop drivers of all ages. There used to be a cadet class that started kids as young as 6, but I don't know if that has changed, Rudy be a good guy to talk to about all the details.

http://www.homesteadkarting.net/

http://rysaracing.com/
Great info. I‘ll make a call to Rudy. He’ll be six in a year and a half so even if it’s just knowing what’s available regionally, that’s fine by me. This is very appreciated.
Old 03-11-2023, 10:08 PM
shft22
Instructor

Just checked and that link for Homestead Karting is very old, it looks like the track is now been run by a different group.

http://amrmotorplex.com/
Old 03-13-2023, 10:38 AM
Jeff951NJ
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

There is also very good track in Orlando. This is where a lot of paid pro driver go over the winter to stay sharp.

https://orlandokartcenter.com/
Old 03-20-2023, 05:46 PM
jhalliman
Rennlist Member

Awesome info everyone. I'll dig into it more. It sounds likely under 6-or-so there isn't much, which is fine, but at least I can establish a plan!
Old 03-21-2023, 12:12 AM
Zhao
Drifting

Once you start it would be awesome if you did an update. It would be interesting to read what your first hand experience getting into it with someone very young.
Old 04-03-2023, 05:11 PM
jhalliman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Zhao
Once you start it would be awesome if you did an update. It would be interesting to read what your first hand experience getting into it with someone very young.
Been busy lately w/ some travel and a little endurance racing myself over at Daytona, I'll be reaching out this month and see what pathway I can get the little guy started on now or in the future.
The following users liked this post:
Zhao (04-03-2023)
Old 04-03-2023, 10:35 PM
shft22
Instructor

Check K1 Karting, I believe they run a series for young kids, not sure the age group but it may be a good place to start. Is an arrive and drive deal, so very little investment and lost of fun for the young one. There is a K1 in Medley, FL.

One thing I notice while karting was the many kids that did it for a few years and then flat out quit when they got a bit older, some had good talent, but the parents(father mostly) put so much pressure on them to perform well, that they just got tired of the pressure and just walked away. Keep it fun and if the kids has talent he/she will do well with patients and the correct coaching.
Old 04-03-2023, 10:51 PM
jhalliman
Rennlist Member

Definitely agree on the pushy part. Fortunately I’d rather just steer them and if they want to hang out and have fun instead of competing hard, that’s fine too.

Check K1 Karting, I believe they run a series for young kids, not sure the age group but it may be a good place to start. Is an arrive and drive deal, so very little investment and lost of fun for the young one. There is a K1 in Medley, FL.

One thing I notice while karting was the many kids that did it for a few years and then flat out quit when they got a bit older, some had good talent, but the parents(father mostly) put so much pressure on them to perform well, that they just got tired of the pressure and just walked away. Keep it fun and if the kids has talent he/she will do well with patients and the correct coaching.
Old 04-04-2023, 03:03 AM
Zhao
Drifting

Ya, there was a show on kids karting in California with the parents expecting their kids to go pro. Parents pushed hard in that show and it definitely didn't seem like a lot of kids were having fun nor had much drive to win.

IMO coaching isn't really necessary; if they have some talent and have a need to win, they'll find a way to go faster and insure they keep winning. What I also noticed from that show is a lot of parents were actually giving bad advice and direction that was making their kids slower.

Quick Reply: Junior Karting Miami/South Florida