Annoying Miatas ruining track days

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2023, 04:45 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by 85Gold
Slow drivers in fast cars should not be in the advanced group. That's an organizer problem not a driver problem.

Peter
In theory…
Old 06-04-2023, 07:02 PM
Olemiss540
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 184 Posts

I have plenty of experience with slow drivers in fast cars but the bulk majority are courteous and fine to drive alongside even in advanced sessions. Me thinks this issue is more about arrogance than ignorance based on my few interactions with this particular subgroup of slow drivers.

They don't deserve to be reclassed, they deserve to be booted or blacklisted.
Old 06-04-2023, 11:13 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 800 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by Olemiss540
They don't deserve to be reclassed, they deserve to be booted or blacklisted.
Well, if we had more people than spots to fill in groups and race grids, I might agree with you. We don't...so we should be doing a better job of identifying and educating people that are a problem or are becoming a problem.
The following 2 users liked this post by winders:
85Gold (06-05-2023), Gary R. (06-05-2023)
Old 06-04-2023, 11:33 PM
Olemiss540
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by winders
Well, if we had more people than spots to fill in groups and race grids, I might agree with you. We don't...so we should be doing a better job of identifying and educating people that are a problem or are becoming a problem.
I tend to think those handful of egos have a much larger negative impact to attendance than it's worth to placate them.
Old 06-04-2023, 11:41 PM
winders
Race Car

Originally Posted by Olemiss540
I tend to think those handful of egos have a much larger negative impact to attendance than it's worth to placate them.
Who said anything about placating them? Part of the education process is discipline. If you refuse to learn and play by the rules after a problem has been identified, then you get penalized. That could be being banned for a while or permanently. The idea that everyone that is being a dick on track is doing so on purpose is flawed.
The following users liked this post:
85Gold (06-05-2023)
Old 06-04-2023, 11:45 PM
Olemiss540
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by winders
Who said anything about placating them? Part of the education process is discipline. If you refuse to learn and play by the rules after a problem has been identified, then you get penalized. That could be being banned for a while or permanently. The idea that everyone that is being a dick on track is doing so on purpose is flawed.
I agree. Don't boot the people being dicks on accident.
Old 06-05-2023, 02:23 AM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,705 Likes on 944 Posts

Agreed. Don't ban. Instead, punish, humiliate, sanction, whatever, and if that doesn't correct it, up the ante, and if that doesn't do it, then talk about banning. I've seen a guy get a year suspension for causing a bad wreck and came back and played very nice from then on; he then almost single handedly organized spec miata and promoted it to the largest class in a couple years. I've seen people driving like dillholes invited to not come back for awhile if they didn't admit their driving was a problem and correct it and that guy had attitude issues so exploded claiming a witch hunt and never came back. There should be punishment to discourage bad behaviour but if there is a chance of improvement it need not be club career ending or follow them like a child molester conviction.

But I'm really not sure what to say about the old boys club though that gets away with whatever they want... because that is a real problem and the organizers don't treat them the same. They get away with way too much and it hurts the new guys interest in sticking around. And honestly it hurts experienced guys from sticking around too. I was literally chatting with a new sprint racer today who started after I stopped, and he was talking about a guy he was having a problem with being a menace on the track, and it was literally a guy I had a problem with myself (rammed me full out on a straightaway after he realized he sucked at driving) and he was pretty discouraged because n oone wanted to do anything about it.

Punishment needs to be done equally to all people regardless if it's the chief organizers kid, or that guy with missing teeth who 'everyone hates' because he came from oval track.
Old 06-05-2023, 08:11 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,484 Likes on 787 Posts

That line in Cool Hand Luke continues to be proven true daily: Some men you just can't reach...
The following 2 users liked this post by Veloce Raptor:
Coochas (06-05-2023), gbuff (06-05-2023)
Old 06-05-2023, 09:29 AM
winders
Race Car

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
That line in Cool Hand Luke continues to be proven true daily: Some men you just can't reach...
Sure...but all men are worthy of a chance.
Zhao (06-05-2023)
Old 06-05-2023, 09:34 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Agreed
Old 06-05-2023, 09:51 AM
MechanicalEng
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drive a bone stock BIG Miata and get similar treatment, see what happens when both Miatas and Big Miatas get stuck behind a Tuned high HP M3 on R7s, this is an advanced group (note headlight flashing)
Starts at minute 12:20
Old 06-05-2023, 09:59 AM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 372 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor

Veloce Raptor (06-05-2023)
Old 06-05-2023, 02:14 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,019 Posts

Originally Posted by MechanicalEng
I drive a bone stock BIG Miata and get similar treatment, see what happens when both Miatas and Big Miatas get stuck behind a Tuned high HP M3 on R7s, this is an advanced group (note headlight flashing)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KaCcVFXFE8
I see multiple problems in this video, yes, the BMW, but there was a train for almost a full lap starting at that 12:20 mark, and it wasn't a 2 or 3 car train.

That bimmer also got really loose braking into the octopus, nice heads up driving on your part to anticipate that he wasn't in full control of the car.
Old 06-05-2023, 02:29 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

What a schitt show
The following 2 users liked this post by Veloce Raptor:
dgrobs (06-05-2023), thebishman (06-05-2023)
Old 06-05-2023, 02:32 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,705 Likes on 944 Posts

I see way more problems than that one car. You have the yellow car at the front holding up traffic, then you have a yahoo right behind him pacing the yellow car content to never pass him ever. That means a double pass for anyone catching up now and proper edicate is the car behind the leader passes first so it just makes a mess. Then you have your white m3 which is it's own problem, and then you have a bunch of other people seemingly also content to just sit in traffic and literally no one is putting any pressure on anyone to get let by so Mr yellow car probably can't even really be blamed as he probably thinks he's not holding anyone up as usually there is a big gap. Your m3 can't really be blamed because he is often in a position where he's being held up as well waiting for his turn to pass. There are many cars that share the blame there.

You need a new run group, that one sucks.

But you could have done far more to initiate a point by. Notice how the black vette has no problem getting a point by? at 14:55 you could have gone right and probably got yourself a point by also, but you chose to stay left and ride the m3's bumper. You also could have been driving showing you wanted to pass. Drop your car to the inside on corner entry to simulate a passing attempt, hug their bumper around the corner, combine the 2, charge up on them hard (not all passive like you were doing where you gradually caught them). Notice how he does let you by with a little bit of pressure?
The following 3 users liked this post by Zhao:
dgrobs (06-06-2023), roadie13 (06-09-2023), Veloce Raptor (06-05-2023)

Quick Reply: Annoying Miatas ruining track days