Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Much Does Aero Truly Affect Track Times??

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2023, 04:46 PM
ParadiseGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 824 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by mlct
P.S. now you might ask why modify an already great car. A silly thing to do I agree and would not work for racing as the car is on the heavy side. I blame iRacing and rFactor2 as driving the 911 RSR (the "old" GTE car) "felt" awesome so I decided I wanted some aero but didn't want to go the Cup Car or non-Porsche route. Also tried the old Williams or the new Mercedes F1 cars in iRacing. You hardly brake or lift at Lime Rock. I could develop some bad habits driving those F1 cars too much.
Think this is actually a great way to perceive aero and approximately how it contributes to lap times.

Befriend a nerd with sim, practice in a GT3 spec (or RSR) until you're about race pace at a high downforce track. Then switch to iRacing lower downforce presets in that same car.

Simulation can also teach you the give and take of aero, e.g., running a high or max downforce setting when not suited to the track. You'll be hopelessly off pace.

And agreed, stay away from the F1 cars, those help about as much as a F-22 flight simulation or something.
The following 2 users liked this post by ParadiseGT3:
mlct (07-01-2023), porshyche (07-01-2023)
Old 07-01-2023, 08:17 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,378 Likes on 1,620 Posts

Originally Posted by mlct
All the reviews of the new GT3 RS and GT4 RS suggests that factory aero makes a difference. I agree with those above that say the more advanced suspension, horsepower for some, and lighter weight for some (911 Cups in particular there) street 911's may be what you are looking over.a modified Cayman. My experience below is with a track only modified 981 Cayman Clubsport for HPDE sessions so if you are going that route it might be relevant. For me aero works.

Procoach is doubt correct about the effects of added aero. While I have not attacked any brake zones yet to feel that difference mentioned I definitely have more grip overall with the various Verus Engineering products now on my 981 Clubsport. Note: the car was already modified by its previous owners (thanks!) with vented front venders, dive planes, JRZ 4 ways, a 997 RSR style rear wing, a 4.25l Deman engine (500+ HP), and various other items so not a stock Clubsport at all.

Briefly:

Last year I added the Verus Front Splitter and Rear diffusor, lowered the ride height and put on stiffer springs needed to stop the car from bouncing off the track. I felt more grip but didn't set any dramatically faster lap times at Lime Rock (down .2) and nothing really at Watkins Glen (still roughly a second slower than I had down in my old GTB1ish car before I wrecked it at WGI back in 2000).

This year the Verus dual dive plans and swan neck rear wing went on and wow.

- I set a new personal best at Lime Rock in my first few laps out and was not driving particularly well (IMHO) or very aggressively. The shocks were rebuilt over the winter but I think that is due to the new rear wing as I don't think my..uh..private parts got any bigger over the winter! That new best is a 56.1 down from a 57.08. A pro did a 54.8 that day so more to go... .

- a personal best in my first visit to Watkins Glen this year and, once again I don't think I was on the apexes as I should be. That was a 2.00.62 down from 2.03.17 (2.02.4 in my old car back in 2019). This was with the same high downforce setting (9 degrees angle of attack which is on the high side for the Verus wing) I used at Lime Rock. I will try less rear wing at the Glen soon to see if I pickup more speed on the straights. There is a video on YouTube of pro Jan Heylen doing a 1.51 in a Clubsport from a few years ago so lots more time to go. Other non-pros in the 1.50's too so under 2 min is a reasonable goal for me.

So far the Verus products are well designed and built. Very happy with them.

Good luck,

Mark
P.S. now you might ask why modify an already great car. A silly thing to do I agree and would not work for racing as the car is on the heavy side. I blame iRacing and rFactor2 as driving the 911 RSR (the "old" GTE car) "felt" awesome so I decided I wanted some aero but didn't want to go the Cup Car or non-Porsche route. Also tried the old Williams or the new Mercedes F1 cars in iRacing. You hardly brake or lift at Lime Rock. I could develop some bad habits driving those F1 cars too much.
You forgot to mention the "cool factor" of adding all the aero! Your car looks like a beast.
The following users liked this post:
mlct (07-02-2023)
Old 07-11-2023, 04:43 PM
b16gsr
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by mjdcolo
It does when I ask myself, "Am I going to want to put aftermarket aero on a non-gt car because I'm not finding the grip and stability I want, or better yet what I'm used to?" Tracking that GT3 around Mid-Ohio, PItt, and Road America has now spoiled me. So much so that I think the only way to go is to dive into a dedicated track machine (Cup Car, or mod the hell out of a 911 or Cayman S). That way I can also get a simple Porsche for the road (maybe even an old G-series), and it doesn't have to be some extreme model.
If you want comparison, we were just at Road America my best friend Andy had is manual 991.2 GT3 lightly modified with Pirelli DH and I have a pretty heavily modified with Pirelli DH, stock tune 991.2 911 S X51. We ran almost the exact same lap times, his 2:20.75 to my 2:20.73 and looking at the video and data the aero, plus the top end horsepower of the GT3 surpasses my car. He passes me like I am standing still coming up the hill into 1. I brake later than he does so I catch him, but in the corners the aero helps him stick and get away faster.
mlct (07-12-2023)
Old 07-11-2023, 07:30 PM
mjdcolo
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by b16gsr
If you want comparison, we were just at Road America my best friend Andy had is manual 991.2 GT3 lightly modified with Pirelli DH and I have a pretty heavily modified with Pirelli DH, stock tune 991.2 911 S X51. We ran almost the exact same lap times, his 2:20.75 to my 2:20.73 and looking at the video and data the aero, plus the top end horsepower of the GT3 surpasses my car. He passes me like I am standing still coming up the hill into 1. I brake later than he does so I catch him, but in the corners the aero helps him stick and get away faster.
Thanks for sharing. That's a good comparison, and those are pretty damn good times. How modified is your 911S?

I was only able to get to 2:32:15 stock with Hoosers and -3.0 all around - granted that was my first time to RA, so I'll take it. Nothing improves times better than experience and great coaching.
Old 07-13-2023, 09:03 AM
b16gsr
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks for sharing. That's a good comparison, and those are pretty damn good times. How modified is your 911S?

I was only able to get to 2:32:15 stock with Hoosers and -3.0 all around - granted that was my first time to RA, so I'll take it. Nothing improves times better than experience and great coaching.
Suspension - custom coilovers on stock dampers with custom DSC tunes, sway bars, monoballs, tie rods, toe links; pretty much everything you can do, AP Racing brakes, half cage and seats, full interior and 19's with Pirelli DH.

The following 2 users liked this post by b16gsr:
Dre01SS (07-26-2023), mjdcolo (07-16-2023)
Old 07-13-2023, 11:08 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,076 Likes on 1,185 Posts

Ask these guys:
https://www.autoxandtrack.com/a-mod-...autocross-car/

Years ago when I was crewing for a 3-car Vette team in Nasa, and doing pretty good (couple championships), a "new" Vette pulled in we didn't recognize. It looked like the Batmobile with a Vette badge up front. He proceeded to walk past my two drivers in that run group, who were always at the front of ST2 back then. This was at Gingerman Raceway, not exactly a high speed track.
Turns out, the driver / builder of the car was non other than Jim McKamey, a legend in the autocross world and one of the first to bring big aero to autocrossing.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...uipped-c5.html
Old 07-20-2023, 01:29 PM
Orca911
Rennlist Member

Received 376 Likes on 202 Posts

I just logged a bunch of comparison laps with factory aero setting in GT3 vs full max. Not scientific - just me playing.
Effects of Adding downforce
mjdcolo (07-20-2023)
Old 07-20-2023, 02:00 PM
mjdcolo
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 31 Posts

I think this answers a lot of my question, too:

https://www.pca.org/news/manthey-rac...rburgring-time
Old 07-22-2023, 01:05 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,888 Likes on 1,695 Posts

I think this answers a lot of my question, too:

https://www.pca.org/news/manthey-rac...rburgring-time
I don't. D/F at 200 km/h (124 mph) only increases from around 200 lbs (been measured to be closer to 220 lbs on the stock car) to 372 lbs. That's good, but a lot more super slow stuff you have to get through than SERIOUS 200 km/h corners, so I would guess a third of the time benefit may be due to aero alone.

The MR kit includes a couple things that make a big difference, especially at a circuit like the 'Ring.

-Manthey also upgraded the coil-over suspension with inverted shocks, with a 20% stiffer spring rate up front. The struts themselves have four positions for different alignment settings.

So, better direction change, less bottoming, more driver confidence, more driver commitment.

-To haul the car down from track speeds, Manthey kit buyers may opt for a more track-oriented brake pad. Fortunately the kit comes with steel brake lines to resist bulging.

So, increased braking stability, better pedal feel add to driver confidence and commitment.

Always fun to talk about this stuff, but I still say it's about adding confidence through better balance at high speed sweepers and that the general level of street GT car aero is more about turning lift into d/f, rather than any particular "stuck to the ground" advantage.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

The following 2 users liked this post by ProCoach:
Mahler9th (07-22-2023), mlct (07-25-2023)
Old 07-24-2023, 01:42 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

I transitioned a spec boxster to an ST3 car. Adding 3.4motor, lsd, aero, and going from toyos to R7. Aero was added last and made a huge difference in the handling of the car. (cup wing and 4” splitter and dam. It made it a much more stable platform, particularly in turn in and confidence in high speed sweepers. Oddly enough the car was faster and more competitive but the spec car was more fun to drive. More tossable and less locked down.

I have a spec e46, recently we did an enduro at willow springs.., granted a fast track. The only change we made was the addition of a bolt on wing and a 4” splitter. The car was instantly pinned down. The biggest surprise was before aerot oh hankooks you can push the car and the tires would talk you all the way around the track. You can push in corners and get all kinds of feedback from the tires and play with the slip angle in any corner. With aero, nothing. The same tires were quiet right up until they were giving up.

So my answer would be if you want to go faster easier and look cool do the wing, if you want to be a better driver, just go drive it and enjoy the feedback….

Old 07-26-2023, 09:10 AM
caymancyr
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Cory M
It sounds like you are doing track days and not competing in a race or time trial series. How important are your laptimes relative to the other cars in the track? Do you care more about how you stack up to others, or how your laptimes compare to your own personal best?
I agree with Cory. Are your track days for ego bolstering times or learning to drive at the limit. A great driving car has F/R balance. The cayman is all about balance right out of the box. Aero will raise your cornering speeds and lower lap times significantly but it won't improve your talent level. That is up to you. However if you just want to beat the other guys around the track, aero will give you an edge.
Old 07-26-2023, 12:13 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,888 Likes on 1,695 Posts

I don’t think and I haven’t seen aero significantly enhance lap times unless the driver is willing to work closer to the limit. THAT is where the edge in confidence allows the driver to SLOW LESS!
mlct (07-26-2023)
Old 07-26-2023, 01:19 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 780 Likes on 507 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
I don’t think and I haven’t seen aero significantly enhance lap times unless the driver is willing to work closer to the limit. THAT is where the edge in confidence allows the driver to SLOW LESS!
Old 07-26-2023, 05:19 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 264 Posts

I was at WGI the past two days with Chin and there was a Holden there from an Australian race series (Supercar?) as well as two Mustangs that may have been as well; they (especially the Holden) were easily the fastest cars on the track and none of them seemed to be overly "aero-ed".

Of course, it didn't hurt that they were being driven by Kyle Busch and Austin Dillon

There's a moral here......

Last edited by gbuff; 07-26-2023 at 05:20 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by gbuff:
mlct (07-27-2023), ProCoach (07-27-2023)
Old 08-01-2023, 10:51 PM
Jeremy Hazeltine
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 58 Posts

Oof….lots of reading confusion here for me
headed to daytona this week and looking for advice on wing setting. I have the verus wing and riseers on my gt3. Should I go for max downforce or less downforce? Not sure the affects at the higher speeds of daytona

Quick Reply: How Much Does Aero Truly Affect Track Times??