Grass / Porsche fire at NJMP Lightning?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2023, 03:30 PM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by De Jeeper
I was at the event and actually i was 1 flag stand away under a red flag while it burned.

Driver pulled over between 1 and 2 on the left side due to a damage front bumper caused by the apron in 1. While in the grass the car filled with smoke so he restarted and moved foward but the fire melted return the fuel line and it look like the delorean in back to the future just hit 86mph. Driver shut it back down and got out if the car.

Car was a newer cameo with long tube headers. Fire was contained and car was functional and repairable. A lot of grass was burnt. I probably have some video but not sure ill post without drivers permision
Glad to hear it wasn't a P-car, I guess. I'm at that track a lot and I guess we'll be instructed to stay on-track but off-line in the event of mechanicals until the grass greens up.

I just never heard this sort of instruction before, including 10 years of SCCA racing. But I can understand the rationale.
Old 07-10-2023, 03:36 PM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Received 269 Likes on 173 Posts

I was always taught that pulling a car into the grass alongside the track is a risking proposition. Even if there are no leaks and no fire as part of whatever disabled the car, a low hanging hot exhaust can light grass on fire. Of course you as driver need to balance this risk, with stopping out of harm's way if time allows - ideally not on line, etc. - so we don't cause a new safety issue while trying to solve another one.
Old 07-10-2023, 03:51 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,287 Likes on 1,719 Posts

Originally Posted by tgibrit
out of curiosity, who put the fire out? driver/marshalls/other?

it was the track fire crew and flager station workers with extigishers. There was no way a small in car extigisher would have made a dent on the fire once it was noticed. The group all stopped as instructed on the red flag and the brush truck got out quick, then they followed with a water tote truck. Was told it was over $2500 for the bill.

To be honest it was pretty scary, i did see the driver out of the car so that wasnt a worry but the fire was growing. But the systems, crews, employees and track participants did everthhing correctly and the system worked. In the end we were safe, property damage was minimal and we continued on our track day. Btw, this was the advanced run group of Motorsport Enthusiest.
Old 07-10-2023, 05:30 PM
tgibrit
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by De Jeeper
it was the track fire crew and flager station workers with extigishers. There was no way a small in car extigisher would have made a dent on the fire once it was noticed. The group all stopped as instructed on the red flag and the brush truck got out quick, then they followed with a water tote truck. Was told it was over $2500 for the bill.

To be honest it was pretty scary, i did see the driver out of the car so that wasnt a worry but the fire was growing. But the systems, crews, employees and track participants did everthhing correctly and the system worked. In the end we were safe, property damage was minimal and we continued on our track day. Btw, this was the advanced run group of Motorsport Enthusiest.
thanks for the reply. as i attend events at NJMP frequently its good to hear they were on top of this scary situation - I am sure it will now be part of Moe's rhetoric at the drivers meetings!
Old 07-10-2023, 08:12 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 112 Likes on 80 Posts

These things happen... sounds like it was dealt with quite well.

Makes me recall an epic fire at Thunderhill back in the day. GGR PCA TT and we were going clockwise. Very, very windy day. I was out instructing when another car became disabled in scrub grass near bottom of 5. The grass went up fast-- not under the car but up the hill toward the worker box. many of us pulled over and some fire bottles were used on the grass... no impact.

Turn 5 worker bailed out of the box , the tires around the box caught fire, and the grass fire headed East fast. Really fast. Really far.

Helicopter was brought in.

I heard that we got a big bill!

No one was hurt and no cars were damaged.

Unforgettable.
Old 07-10-2023, 09:45 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,815 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Yeah we either have dirt or sand off track at our SoCal tracks, nothing to burn under the car except maybe some fire ants.
Old 07-11-2023, 03:02 PM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in Chi
Same thing happened at Blackhawk Farms years ago. 928 was a total loss.
I was just at Blackhawk Farms 4th of July weekend. we were told to stay on the pavement if there was a red flag.
It rained briefly Saturday evening - night, but not enough to make a difference.
Old 07-11-2023, 11:06 PM
Geneman
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 99 Posts

Thank you for this. Just scary as hell, and something that did not really occur to me could happen. I have spun a reasonable amt of times pushing it at Tbolt over the years . It's very very dry here. SVRA NJMSP coming up and will be mindful. Thanks. Frank
Old 07-12-2023, 09:22 AM
Difool
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 76 Posts

I collected a ton of grass just from going 4 off on the outside of Madness at Mid-Ohio after their spring mowing. When I pulled into the pits it caught fire in three of the wheel wells. A couple feet of flames licking over the front fenders. The track workers were on it with water based extinguishers and because grass doesn’t burn that hot there was no ganache to the car or wrap, other than melted insulation on one ABS sensor. If I was out on the track pulled over it could have been much worse.
Old 07-12-2023, 09:40 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,460 Likes on 1,013 Posts

Originally Posted by Difool
I collected a ton of grass just from going 4 off on the outside of Madness at Mid-Ohio after their spring mowing. When I pulled into the pits it caught fire in three of the wheel wells. A couple feet of flames licking over the front fenders. The track workers were on it with water based extinguishers and because grass doesn’t burn that hot there was no ganache to the car or wrap, other than melted insulation on one ABS sensor. If I was out on the track pulled over it could have been much worse.
Geesh.
Glad you were ok.
100% agree on how fast things can catch and burn. You got lucky, and indeed, if you had to stop somewhere on the track, or worse, stayed on the grass after the off, uggh, don’t even wanna think about that.
Glad you were ok. Scary stuff. Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-12-2023, 09:49 AM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 137 Posts

Really good (and scary) stories/feedback here. I guess I have been lucky to not see any grass fires out east here. I originally thought the concept of stopping on-track (albeit off-line) with a mechanical was a bad idea but I guess it's better than causing a fire. I'd certainly be watching my rear view mirror with some trepidation until the track is clear.
Old 07-13-2023, 05:49 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 552 Likes on 290 Posts

So this is why we sell a lot of the Element fire extinguishers, and why I keep one in our race car that has a full fire suppression system in it. The fire suppression will do nothing for a grass fire.
They are small, light weight, easy to mount somewhere or just stick in your glove box or door pocket. They don't "expire" and actually do a very good job putting out fires. I've had customers buy a case so they have them at home (kitchen, garage), trailer, all their cars, etc.
Inexpensive insurance for this thread exact scenario.

https://naroescapemotorsports.com/pr...-extinguisher/

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 07-13-2023, 05:55 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,460 Likes on 1,013 Posts

Originally Posted by NaroEscape
So this is why we sell a lot of the Element fire extinguishers, and why I keep one in our race car that has a full fire suppression system in it. The fire suppression will do nothing for a grass fire.
They are small, light weight, easy to mount somewhere or just stick in your glove box or door pocket. They don't "expire" and actually do a very good job putting out fires. I've had customers buy a case so they have them at home (kitchen, garage), trailer, all their cars, etc.

I’ll take 2….
Whats the coupon code ?

Last edited by dgrobs; 07-13-2023 at 05:56 PM.
Old 07-13-2023, 07:37 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 785 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by NaroEscape

I like them (never had to use it!) But I don't like the form factor. I can't tell you how many people who see it on my left ask about my new flashlight. My worry is that if someone else had to grab it, they won't know what it is.

But I still have some around for me!
Old 07-13-2023, 08:17 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 405 Likes on 210 Posts

I lit the grass on fire twice at VIR with my low hanging formula car exhaust. I don't recommend standing in the fire and trying to push your car away when it's stuck in gear. I was dangerously exhausted afterward.

Quick Reply: Grass / Porsche fire at NJMP Lightning?