Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Brad Pitt F1 movie is already filming

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2023, 08:20 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,691 Likes on 937 Posts

LOLOL. Hey i'm just happy he didn't mention justin bieber. He's so, uh, not stereotypically Canadian, you guys keep forgetting he's not your own.

BTW, no trade backs.
Old 07-16-2023, 10:16 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,457 Likes on 1,010 Posts

Originally Posted by Zhao
LOLOL. Hey i'm just happy he didn't mention justin bieber. He's so, uh, not stereotypically Canadian, you guys keep forgetting he's not your own.

BTW, no trade backs.
And don't even get me started on Celine Dion....
Old 07-16-2023, 10:24 PM
Locker537
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Zhao
Days of thunder is awesome. To this day I don't know wtf he was talking about when he said he came from open wheel, mostly sprints.

open wheel?

Sprints?

or home built open wheel amatuer club 20 minute sprint races?

Also, Cal Naughton jr. started pit crewing in days of thunder and finally got to race in talladega nights.
I always interpreted that an open wheel cars and the races were sprint format?
Old 07-17-2023, 08:12 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,437 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by dgrobs
And don't even get me started on Celine Dion....
Denny Crane
Old 07-17-2023, 11:18 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,383 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
Who gives a f**k? Excuse me if I don't care about the well being of industry that thinks half of the people in this country should not be allowed to have opinions and positions different that their's. Who think they can tell others how to live their lives when their lives are the ones that are all screwed up.
Do you really want to live in a world where Hot Tub Time Machine was never made?
The following 2 users liked this post by LuigiVampa:
dgrobs (07-17-2023), Veloce Raptor (07-17-2023)
Old 07-17-2023, 01:52 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Funny how this thread was started by and commented on by so many who seem to hate films and the people who make them. Weird. When it's completed, I expect none of you will watch it. LOL
Old 07-17-2023, 02:15 PM
BFT3.2
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by John H
Funny how this thread was started by and commented on by so many who seem to hate films and the people who make them. Weird. When it's completed, I expect none of you will watch it. LOL
There's always the "Sound of Freedom" for the more discerning audiences.
https://www.rollingstone.com/tv-movi...ie-1234783837/
Old 07-17-2023, 02:35 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

RL thread takes a detour? That's never happened before!

I understand, and agree, with much of the anti-Hollywood feelings in this thread. That being said, I love a good story and have always loved the act of going to the theater.

I could spend the rest of today listing great movies that are worth watching, but agree that for every one worth watching there are 100 that are just bad or overly preachy. Take the old "Point Break" movie. Just a solid summer popcorn type movie that still gets quoted today (Get me two, Utah!) They remade the movie a few years ago and spun it into an message about global warming. It wasn't Citizen Kane, but it was some good entertainment much like the John Wick run of movies. They ruined it.

Speaking of Citizen Kane, it is hard for us to imagine how ground breaking the lighting and cinematography was when this film was released. People often asked Orson Welles how he came up with the uniqueness of the film and he just said it was because he was new and didn't know any better.

You can go into the history of art and film and learn how Edward Hopper, whose most famous painting Nighthawks, is part of the inspiration of the whole film noire genre. I love the Maltese Falcon!

Do you not have a better understanding of WW2 because of films like the Big Red 1, Patton, Das Boot, and Saving Private Ryan? What about the Band of Brothers series? They are all just excellent.

I have a hard time watching any thing Robert De Niro is in, or anyone else who has become overly preachy (and that is most of them), but to $hit on all movies as worthless is just a completely overbroad overreaction. I didn't know RL was packed with so many philistines.

Last edited by LuigiVampa; 07-17-2023 at 02:36 PM.
Old 07-17-2023, 02:49 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,437 Likes on 769 Posts

Funny how your broad brush included me, who started this thread. At no time and in no place have I ever stated or hinted at "hate for films and be people who make them". What I actually said was that a strike by Hollywood is irrelevant to pretty much everyone else, whereas a strike by (for example) UPS would quickly become relevant to nearly everyone.
Old 07-17-2023, 03:32 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Weird logic. Perhaps we just dont like movies with agendas trying to make people think a certain way and **** all over people who don't think that way, and perhaps we just dislike the people who want to make such movies.

That doesn't mean we hate movies. I liked that maverick movie. I didn't find it preachy. They didn't make the old hero into some angry useless weak mentally damaged guy that is now a rapist or racist or whatever they like to do with every other movie. Didn't try sell me some political agenda. Didn't try to sell me some bs like how a 400lb purple haired whatever can be a fighter pilot with no lessons. They didn't purposely try to **** off fans of the old movie with a smug face saying toxic fans wont like our new modern take!

I think their goal was to make a movie that was entertaining. They should do more of that.
Old 07-17-2023, 03:43 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Funny how your broad brush included me, who started this thread. At no time and in no place have I ever stated or hinted at "hate for films and be people who make them". What I actually said was that a strike by Hollywood is irrelevant to pretty much everyone else, whereas a strike by (for example) UPS would quickly become relevant to nearly everyone.
That statement isn't even controversial.

We just had a port strike in the 4th largest port in North America. I doubt many people are even aware of it, and it was shut down quick because you can't have a port shut down for long, but it'll still cause a backlog of goods getting offloaded.
Old 07-17-2023, 04:12 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

UPS strike is extremely important to the infrastructure of the country. The port strike in Canada is also affecting the US.

That being said, there are carpenters, electricians, bookkeepers, hospitality workers, and all the other "little people" who are out of work if the movie industry shuts down. Its actually important to the economy as well. For every Tom Cruise there is struggling actor trying to get by and a support person trying to pay their mortgage.

At the PCA Sebring race this year Grant Maiman brought his cousin, who is a "struggling actor", to help with the data cards. Awesome guy! I drove back to the Orlando airport with him and he has a small part in the new Barbie movie as a construction worker who says something inappropriate to Barbie. All he wanted to know, back in January, was that his lines made it into the movie because then he would be entitled to a residuary, which would provide him with some measure of financial stability. Its a real insight to how there are all these people on the fringe of the movies who live paycheck to paycheck. I heard from him this week and his line made it into the movie. Totally cool guy in the John Belushi comic mold!

Bottom line, the business of the United States is business, no matter what that business is!
The following users liked this post:
plafondles (07-17-2023)
Old 07-17-2023, 05:01 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,950 Likes on 1,745 Posts

There will be the curiosity factor for some. Then those that saw it will report back on how it was which will lead others to either actively go out and see it, or not, depending on the reviews. In reality, it'll be a 2 hour, catch all, Drive to Survive style bend without the real drivers in the movie but instead trying to convince us that a 60 year old Brad Pitt is believable as one of the top drivers in the world. It will be in theaters for a couple weeks and then fade into Netflix just prior to the next F1 season.

Personally, I don't give 2 $hits about anything from Hollywood, so my time and money will not be influenced by yet more bad writing and storylines. I would be interested to see if AI can come up with anything new under the sun as we don't need another sequel of Mr. and Mrs. Smith from 17 years ago that no one was waiting for.
Old 07-17-2023, 05:18 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 776 Likes on 393 Posts

Who said anyone hated films? Who said anyone hated the people that make them? Not having empathy for a group of people for their union/contract woes is not hate.

What I very much dislike is the preaching in many of the movies and the messages coming from the Hollywood establishment. I very much appreciate entertaining movies like "Top Gun: Maverick" that don't try to preach or have some underlying woke messaging.

Like with most movies, I will suspend belief of what is likely or what is possible and watch Pitt's F1 movie for entertainment value. The hope is that it will deliver on that.
Old 07-17-2023, 05:27 PM
Geneman
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 99 Posts

Hey one of those movies gave us... " Rubbin is racin Harry....." Whats to hate about that !😎.

Quick Reply: The Brad Pitt F1 movie is already filming