Will I need Giro Discs

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2023, 11:15 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Will I need Giro Discs

Just getting started with my 981 CS and wondering if I will need to upsize to the Giro Disc rotors or are the slotted sebros good enough for periodic track duty.

New to me 20-6 CS w/ PDK. Most of my track time is at Sebring in the instructor/advanced group. I run SRF, Ferodo 3.12 pads, and MPSC2 or the like R compound tires that I drive to and from the track.

so should I plan on moving to the Giro Disc rotors or will the sebro slotted replacements be enough?

thanks,
skip
Old 08-22-2023, 09:32 AM
lgusto
Instructor

Received 112 Likes on 68 Posts

I've run Ferodo DS3.12 and Pagid RSL29 on Sebro slotted at Sebring without any issues.
The following users liked this post:
85Gold (08-23-2023)
Old 08-22-2023, 09:35 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,457 Likes on 1,010 Posts

As long as you’re not using the OEM cross drilled, you should be fine with either.

I have always used Gyrodiscs with the Ferodo pads and they work just fine.

Another advantage of the GyroDiscs is the 2 piece feature where you only have to replace the rings and not the hats. Sebro’s are the same I would assume, so I think it’s a matter of personal preference. If you’re happy with Sebro, stay with that. You can always try a set of Gyrodiscs and see if you feel a difference.

Clarke and Linda at Apex Performance will set you up. Give ‘em a call. They actually pick up the phone.

Good luck with whatever you decide, and report back and let us know if you’ve moved to the Gyrodiscs and how you like them.
Old 08-22-2023, 09:59 AM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,283 Likes on 1,715 Posts

The sebros r a standars aftermarket rotor.

The short answer is no. The girosic will cool and wear better but at a cost. I run standard zimmermans in front a girodisc rears on my 6-gt3ish. I get about 50 de days out of the zims and the giros r about half done. Not sure how this translates to your car.

One other point is u get my zimms from fcpeuro so i just trade them in for the cost if shipping.
Old 08-22-2023, 10:57 AM
jfpell
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 42 Posts

Will you NEED GiroDiscs? Absolutely not. They are indeed a very nice, very high quality product and have the benefit of being able to replace only the rotor rings when they wear versus the entire rotor. You can also upsize the rotor size when going to a GiroDisc with the caliper spacers that are provided.

Sebro single piece slotted rotors in the factory diameter are a great economical choice. PCA Club Racing Spec Cayman class rules indicate: "One-piece or two-piece steel rotors may be used if dimensionally the same as stock. Drilled and slotted rotors are allowed." So, if these are good enough for a PCA club racing class, they are more than adequate for DEs. The choice for GiroDiscs is a want more than a need for the reasons stated above. I had them on a previous car and thought they were great and then sold them on to a friend who is still running them. However, for my current 2014 Cayman S, I run the same combo that you are running: SRF, Ferodo 3.12 and Sebro slotted.
The following 2 users liked this post by jfpell:
AngeloGTS (08-23-2023), ANGST (08-22-2023)
Old 08-22-2023, 04:23 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks everyone, appreciate the input. This is where I stand and would prefer to stick to stock sizes, so sounds like I'm good.

Appreciate it,
-Skip
Old 08-22-2023, 06:09 PM
jsabatini
Drifting

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

That's what I though as well, I would be OK with slotted rotors. Longtime PCA instructor at Sebring, was very happy with my slotted rotors until one time going through Bishops and had a slightly soft pedal. Had Autoquest check everything out and all was good but said this can happen with the regular slotted rotors, go to Giro Discs, so that's what I did.
Old 08-22-2023, 06:23 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 104 Posts

I'm thrifty, I run Sebro slotted Cayenne rotors on the GT3 (front).

They work, they're dirt cheap and I don't feel bad chucking a marginal set. Also made in Germany, which is good.

M
Old 08-22-2023, 11:28 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 3,487 Likes on 2,011 Posts

There may come a time that you decide you want or need more braking power. The question is how you will get it based on whatever constraints you have. Better pads, better rotors, bigger air ducts, bigger calipers, or same calipers but bigger rotors with aluminum hats? No right or wrong answer just alot of viable choices.

Life is short, why not get a set of Giro Disc's. If you don't like them, you can always sell them.
The following users liked this post:
TET GT3 (09-17-2023)
Old 08-23-2023, 01:01 AM
lgusto
Instructor

Received 112 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by jsabatini
That's what I though as well, I would be OK with slotted rotors. Longtime PCA instructor at Sebring, was very happy with my slotted rotors until one time going through Bishops and had a slightly soft pedal. Had Autoquest check everything out and all was good but said this can happen with the regular slotted rotors, go to Giro Discs, so that's what I did.
Just curious...where do you brake in Bishops?
Old 08-23-2023, 06:31 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,457 Likes on 1,010 Posts

Originally Posted by lgusto
Has to be the brake zone after Bishops. He wouldn’t be near the brake pedal in the corner itself.
Old 08-23-2023, 08:41 AM
Mike Roblin
Rennlist Member

Received 480 Likes on 300 Posts

Originally Posted by lgusto
I was thinking the same thing?

Originally Posted by dgrobs
Has to be the brake zone after Bishops. He wouldn’t be near the brake pedal in the corner itself.
Gotta be, or at least I hope so!

FWIW, I’ve run the 350mm sebro slotted on heavy cars (996TT) and light cars (996 GT3 Cup) and never had any issues with braking performance at Sebring (or any other track for that matter). I’ve used SRF and Pagid brake fluid along with Pagid RS29 pads for years.

To echo what some others have said, the sebro’s are more cost efficient than the Gyros even if you can replace only the outer ring. Last time I looked a pair of 350mm outer rings was $850 and a the pair of fronts from sebro was just under $350. YMMV but for me the difference is not worth it.
Old 08-23-2023, 09:15 AM
AngeloGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I use Giros but if I had to do it again would probably just go with Sebro slotted, since FCP euro sells with the unlimited lifetime replacements... more money for pads!
Old 08-23-2023, 09:20 AM
amurph182
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 55 Posts

I ran AP Racing J-hook two-piece rotors for a few years, don’t overlook the fact that you actually have to spend the time to swap the rings. Is it hard? No. Does it take a long time? Not in the grand scheme of things. But it’s just one more thing to do and takes considerably more time than just throwing on a new set of one-piece discs straight out of the box. Especially if you need to do it at the track for some reason.

I loved my AP Racing set up, but it was a full brake upgrade front and rear. Just going with upgraded rotors will save you some weight and provide better heat management, but if you’re not having fade problems then all you’re really doing is adding complexity and effort so that you can spend more money a little less often. My current car is stock calipers and Sebro slotted rotors. I probably got 50% more life out of the j-hooks, but the rings cost twice as much and take considerably more time to replace for not a ton of benefit (on their own). Just my opinion, YMMV

Last edited by amurph182; 08-23-2023 at 09:21 AM.
Old 08-23-2023, 09:27 AM
ParadiseGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 828 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by jsabatini
Not a disc issue. Car is fighting yaw on the back side of Bishop's, into T15 brake zone, low key TC intervention can create long pedal and/or trigger almost immediate ABS. Have experienced same in that specific spot many times. (For this reason find it faster to moderate pace back side of Bishop's, full control in brake zone, then maximize "winding" pace T15 to T16 apex.)

Run Giros and they're great for the reasons already shared. But nothing wrong with Ferodo race pads, SRF, Sebro slotted setup.

Quick Reply: Will I need Giro Discs