Sponsored by:

Left foot braking

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2023, 11:29 AM
pjazz
Rennlist Member

Received 248 Likes on 133 Posts
Default Left foot braking

I know a lot of racers use this technique. I never got into it and feel uncomfortable trying it since I’ve always used my right foot.

I'm curious of the percentage of drivers that do and is there a big advantage to do it.
Old 09-14-2023, 11:36 AM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 937 Likes on 626 Posts

I taught myself to do it on the sim and street driving first, then applied it at trackdays/practice, then racing once comfortable.
I find it helpful to balance the car by "pedaling" the gas and brake in some corners. Drivers behind probably think I am over braking but usually I am light on the brake to trail more than normal depending on the line I am on. Full disclosure I am probably screwing up when this is needed LOL, but it helps stay out of trouble.
I have heard in endurance racing that left foot brakers use more fuel and pit stop sooner/more often. So in some types of racing that could be a downside.
Old 09-14-2023, 12:03 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,435 Likes on 768 Posts

I left foot brake in most 2 pedal cars and some 3 pedal cars when appropriate
Old 09-14-2023, 12:07 PM
PGas32
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 104 Posts

I left-foot brake on the street (in kid haulers and pickup trucks) and have for years, so it feels very natural at this point. But on track with a manual tranny, I stick to traditional right-foot braking. There’s very few corners where you’re not downshifting as well as braking, so I find that sticking with one foot reduces the amount of thinking I have to do. If I drove a PDK, it’d be left foot no question
Old 09-14-2023, 12:28 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 887 Likes on 537 Posts

Interesting question- I always right foot brake when driving a car whether it's a manual or automatic. Been right foot braking since the mid-60's so hard to change that habit. Obviously had to left foot brake when racing shifter karts, etc but it didn't translate to driving a car.
When racing a SRF or spec Miata also did right foot braking- force of habit.
Old 09-14-2023, 01:03 PM
lcrain
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 39 Posts

Once I started left foot braking, it felt like a cheat code. I immediately found time. I mostly drive manual cars, so I am not able to do it in every corner. I do feel it allows for more smooth transition between braking and throttle application for me since I can blend in throttle more progressively. I can also carry the brakes further into a corner when using my left foot which allows for more rotation under braking. When I have driven automatic cars on track, I do it everywhere.
Old 09-14-2023, 01:34 PM
spyderbret
Rennlist Member

Received 630 Likes on 276 Posts

I forced myself to learn it in the sim then applied it on the track. I much prefer it now that I'm used to it. I believe I found some time as well.....
Old 09-14-2023, 01:36 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 465 Likes on 210 Posts

I was exclusively a right footer until an injury caused a change. I had a 981 GT4 Clubsport with the dual master, no brake booster set-up. So it took a massive amount of pedal pressure to effectively drive the car. I was battling a plantar fasciitis issue that eventually won. I went out in the morning on Day 2 of some testing and I had not recovered from the day before. Pain was so bad I could barely operate the throttle, much less achieve the pressure on the brake. After 3 laps or so I got on the radio and said I was coming in. While idling in pit lane explaining the problem the response over the radio was something to the effect of "You have two choices. You can retire from the sport or you can learn to left foot brake." So I pulled out of pit lane and began left foot braking for the first time. Some personal observations:

* I found it MUCH easier to modulate the pedal with the non-boosted set-up vs. boosted. This helped me a lot.
* By the end of my first session I was already smooth on the pedal and had good brake release, but was down on power (brake psi). My coaches actually said my brake release and data traces were better with my left foot than my right.
* Within a few session I got my pedal pressure up to decent levels, but never achieved the same power as with my right foot. About 150 psi lower if I remember right. My theory is the brake pedal is roughly in line with my right leg but I have to cross over with my left leg to hit the pedal. So right leg is all thigh/calf while the hip abductor comes into play with the left leg. The geometry was different enough that I couldn't replicate the same power.

I've played with left foot braking in boosted cars and don't like it. I was never able to get the feel. So now that I am back in manual row, boosted cars I am back to right foot braking. (Foot is now well enough to handle a boosted car)

The following users liked this post:
pjazz (09-14-2023)
Old 09-14-2023, 02:23 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,273 Likes on 1,458 Posts

I do both ways depending on the car and situation. I grew karting which is all left foot braking.
Old 09-14-2023, 09:25 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,888 Likes on 1,695 Posts

Many folks who don’t have a karting background RFB. Some RFB drivers LFB for high speed corners and sensitive, high speed transitions.

Most of the data I have does not show a clear advantage in braking technique between LFB and RFB.

Mostly because braking IS the most variable and most inconsistent skill execution nearly all drivers execute.

I RFB and cover 19 feet in the transition between WOT and the beginning of brake pressure application at 135 mph. Not much longer to get to max pressure.

The best execution of RFB will beat a less than optimal LFB every day of the week. As well as vice versa…
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

The following 7 users liked this post by ProCoach:
George P. (09-14-2023), Mahler9th (09-15-2023), Mike Roblin (09-14-2023), mlct (09-15-2023), Nickshu (09-14-2023), skl (09-15-2023), will968 (09-14-2023) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-14-2023, 11:40 PM
will968
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 44 Posts

Here's how Shane Van Gisbergen set the NASCAR world on fire with his "unorthodox" wining foot work. NASCAR drivers - who are very good - all brake left foot. People wondered if right foot was the winning ticket on road courses after this. Fastest way round the track is what you're good at.
I use left foot on the out lap of race to build heat. It takes a lot of work to use it to good effect without having to think about it - like Walter Rorhl.

Last edited by will968; 09-14-2023 at 11:54 PM.
Old 09-15-2023, 12:29 AM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 161 Posts

It's impossible to LFB an older formula racecar with clutch on the left, the steering column running between your legs, and brake and gas pedals on the right.
Old 09-15-2023, 01:01 AM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 235 Posts

In my opinion, the main benefit to LFB is a smooth transition from brake release to throttle application, with some overlap.

As a learning tool and confidence reinforcer, start by using both feet on the brake pedal at the same time. You will find that your left foot naturally continues the trail brake release when you transition your right foot to squeeze on the throttle. And, just like that, you are left foot braking.

Last edited by matttheboatman; 09-15-2023 at 01:02 AM.
The following users liked this post:
pjazz (09-15-2023)
Old 09-15-2023, 07:58 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,435 Likes on 768 Posts

Originally Posted by will968
Here's how Shane Van Gisbergen set the NASCAR world on fire with his "unorthodox" wining foot work. NASCAR drivers - who are very good - all brake left foot. People wondered if right foot was the winning ticket on road courses after this. Fastest way round the track is what you're good at.
I use left foot on the out lap of race to build heat. It takes a lot of work to use it to good effect without having to think about it - like Walter Rorhl.

These are fantastic videos! But to be fair, Shane is driving a Holden Commodore Aussie V8 super car, which is set up much more like a true sports GT car than a NASCAR vehicle
Old 09-15-2023, 08:15 AM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 937 Likes on 626 Posts

Originally Posted by will968
Fastest way round the track is what you're good at.
This quote wins the thread.
The following 3 users liked this post by Nickshu:
Mahler9th (09-15-2023), ProCoach (09-15-2023), skl (09-15-2023)

Quick Reply: Left foot braking