Sponsored by:

Being around Cup cars on track…

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2023, 04:47 PM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Received 372 Likes on 175 Posts
Default Being around Cup cars on track…

…is awesome! I had a really nice time at Watkins Glen this week, running with NNJR PCA and then Trackmasters. It was my first time with either group, but won’t be my last—both were very well-run and organized, and had great people attending (special thanks to dgrobs for all the help). The advanced and open track groups had lots of very fast, serious cars being driven by very fast, experienced drivers. I’ve had a modern Cup car in my run groups before, but until this week I’d never been around multiple ones in the same session. Pretty amazing. I was struck by the sound the 991 Cups made when shifting. I don’t know if it’s the brief interruption in power delivery, or the shift itself, but it sounds like the air is being sucked out of the atmosphere, like a giant vacuum is being created. Loved it! I can only imagine what it’s like behind the wheel.
The following users liked this post:
DHI (09-26-2023)
Old 09-23-2023, 06:33 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,883 Likes on 1,692 Posts

991 Cups are the daddy! The sweet spot right now, too.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 09-23-2023, 06:46 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,432 Likes on 766 Posts

I was there, coaching two of the very advanced drivers in the NNJR event. One of them was in a 992 cup.
Old 09-23-2023, 08:07 PM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 94 Posts

Here is a good video of my 991.1 cup at Road Atlanta with rear facing camera and Audio. Had a great race with Loren Beggs.

The following 7 users liked this post by RSRRacer:
dxrohanx (09-26-2023), Mark Dreyer (10-01-2023), Mike Roblin (09-26-2023), PorscheAddict (09-24-2023), pro1200 (09-24-2023), ProCoach (09-23-2023), The Ox (09-24-2023) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-23-2023, 08:15 PM
Jim Cobb
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by paradocs98
…is awesome! I had a really nice time at Watkins Glen this week, running with NNJR PCA and then Trackmasters. It was my first time with either group, but won’t be my last—both were very well-run and organized, and had great people attending (special thanks to dgrobs for all the help). The advanced and open track groups had lots of very fast, serious cars being driven by very fast, experienced drivers. I’ve had a modern Cup car in my run groups before, but until this week I’d never been around multiple ones in the same session. Pretty amazing. I was struck by the sound the 991 Cups made when shifting. I don’t know if it’s the brief interruption in power delivery, or the shift itself, but it sounds like the air is being sucked out of the atmosphere, like a giant vacuum is being created. Loved it! I can only imagine what it’s like behind the wheel.
They are amazing cars for sure when driven by people who know what they are doing and respect other drivers in slower cars. Unfortunately, that is not a requirement for owning one, A year or so back, there were three buddies who brought their cup cars to Road Atlanta, and were hell bent on staying together every session even if it meant driving so aggressively that it put others at risk. When one of them thought he could straighten out Turn 6 at 100mph plus, some of the people who came to gawk at its crumpled remains on the flatbed were not necessarily there to offer their condolences.
Old 09-23-2023, 08:35 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 264 Posts

I was there with TM on Wednesday, my Mini's transmission broke 5 laps in. Amazingly I was able to limp it home, change over the "spare" white Mini and get back to the Glen by 630pm to drive on Thursday and experience all that you did. I've driven with them in numbers in other groups but it's ALWAYS a treat being on track with them just for the sensory experience. I also cannot say I've ever seen a poorly-driven one, when I point them (early and often ) they don't screw around, they just GO wherever we are on track.

I do believe I saw you out there a number of times if you were driving your avatar car #98; very nice, smooth, fast driving

Last edited by gbuff; 09-23-2023 at 08:39 PM.
Old 09-24-2023, 07:41 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

I don’t know if it’s the brief interruption in power delivery, or the shift itself, but it sounds like the air is being sucked out of the atmosphere, like a giant vacuum is being created. .
I love cups, but that vacuum sound was $$$$$$ being sucked out!
Difool (09-24-2023)
Old 09-24-2023, 12:09 PM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Received 372 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
991 Cups are the daddy! The sweet spot right now, too.
Indeed--some clean examples are quite a bit less expensive than I would have thought.

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
I was there, coaching two of the very advanced drivers in the NNJR event. One of them was in a 992 cup.
That NNJR red run group was by far the fastest group I've ever been with. Was trying my best to be heads up and giving point-bys far in advance so they could maintain their speed. I wish I knew you were there. Would have enjoyed meeting the legendary VR in person!

Originally Posted by RSRRacer
Here is a good video of my 991.1 cup at Road Atlanta with rear facing camera and Audio. Had a great race with Loren Beggs.

https://youtu.be/XfjP78WyQfs?si=gzjpUV17O7IHWsKS
Great clip!

Originally Posted by Jim Cobb
They are amazing cars for sure when driven by people who know what they are doing and respect other drivers in slower cars. Unfortunately, that is not a requirement for owning one, A year or so back, there were three buddies who brought their cup cars to Road Atlanta, and were hell bent on staying together every session even if it meant driving so aggressively that it put others at risk. When one of them thought he could straighten out Turn 6 at 100mph plus, some of the people who came to gawk at its crumpled remains on the flatbed were not necessarily there to offer their condolences.
That would definitely put a bad taste in your mouth.

Originally Posted by gbuff
I was there with TM on Wednesday, my Mini's transmission broke 5 laps in. Amazingly I was able to limp it home, change over the "spare" white Mini and get back to the Glen by 630pm to drive on Thursday and experience all that you did. I've driven with them in numbers in other groups but it's ALWAYS a treat being on track with them just for the sensory experience. I also cannot say I've ever seen a poorly-driven one, when I point them (early and often ) they don't screw around, they just GO wherever we are on track.

I do believe I saw you out there a number of times if you were driving your avatar car #98; very nice, smooth, fast driving
Sorry about the transmission. I saw you pulled over to the side during that session. I was getting my check ride for open track with Bruce riding right seat when we came by you. He said "Oh no, that's my friend Gary's Mini." That's commitment to go get the spare car! I was impressed with how well everything ran despite wide variations in speeds of the various cars. Lots of awareness and heads up driving by the vast majority of people. Yes, that was me in the #98 GT3. Thanks for the kind words--was trying my best not to ruin the momentum and fun of the various Cup cars and the 458 Challenge!

Originally Posted by Gary R.
I love cups, but that vacuum sound was $$$$$$ being sucked out!
Ha! I can only imagine... storage, towing, maintenance, rebuilds, crew costs. Sure looks and sounds cool, though!
Old 09-24-2023, 01:57 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Sorry we didn't connect either! Yes Red was a fast group. Both my guys were in Red. My other client was in the dark gray 996 turbo-bodied race car
paradocs98 (09-24-2023)
Old 09-24-2023, 04:35 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 264 Posts

Sorry about the transmission. I saw you pulled over to the side during that session. I was getting my check ride for open track with Bruce riding right seat when we came by you. He said "Oh no, that's my friend Gary's Mini." That's commitment to go get the spare car! I was impressed with how well everything ran despite wide variations in speeds of the various cars. Lots of awareness and heads up driving by the vast majority of people. Yes, that was me in the #98 GT3. Thanks for the kind words--was trying my best not to ruin the momentum and fun of the various Cup cars and the 458 Challenge!

Commitment nothing, more like addiction as I just arrive in Ohio for a day at Mid-Ohio tomorrow
The following 2 users liked this post by gbuff:
George P. (09-24-2023), paradocs98 (09-25-2023)
Old 09-24-2023, 05:38 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

That was fun to watch and makes me yearn for another Cup.
Old 09-24-2023, 06:21 PM
garudatwo
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Hopefully good news re 1:58 from your outing!
Old 09-25-2023, 09:41 AM
ParadiseGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 824 Likes on 458 Posts

Have the privilege of running with them often on my local tracks. They are truly awesome machines… the sounds, power, and "fugget about it" pace when you encounter a well driven example. Here's a clip from a memorable session with the '21 Mobil 1 Supercup Championship winning car (992). I chased just effectively enough to stay within earshot for like ½ lap

The following 2 users liked this post by ParadiseGT3:
dxrohanx (09-26-2023), maschinetheist (09-26-2023)
Old 09-25-2023, 10:09 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Great video at beautiful Homestead!
Old 09-25-2023, 11:03 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 774 Likes on 506 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Great video at beautiful Homestead!
Not sure I've seen those two words together before Beautiful and Homestead. Great cars!
ProCoach (09-25-2023)

Quick Reply: Being around Cup cars on track…