Sponsored by:

RR VII... great event!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2023, 07:19 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 112 Likes on 80 Posts
Default RR VII... great event!

Live streams for all three days are on youtube.

For example:

I was at LS in 1998 for PAG 50th. This event was where Brian Redman and the late Bob Carlson got the idea for RR.

At this year's event I had a few minutes one-on-one with Brian. I thanked him.
The following users liked this post:
Mike Roblin (10-03-2023)
Old 10-04-2023, 08:25 AM
uscarrera
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 618 Likes on 303 Posts

I have been to all 7 Rennsports my observations on 7 are there are some tweaks needed. The lines for the event store were ridiculous, two or more hour wait at times why not put up multiple kiosks that maybe just sell the high volume items such as posters, hats and T-shirts. Food vendors in the paddock were experiencing the same long lines and they often ran out of choices early in the day including coffee on rainy cold Saturday morning now that is sacrilege 😀. I also think organizers have strayed from the core of Rennsport, the on track racing after all its in the name, too many new car VIP and Porsche display laps taking more and more time away from the historic Porsche cars on track. I also don’t remember any rain days at Rennsport 4, 5, or 6 so they should work on that climate change issue and make sure no rain at this event in the future 😀
Rich
Cory M (10-05-2023)
Old 10-04-2023, 06:11 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 40 Posts

I couldn't seem to find any PCA race coverage on the youtube, maybe a few laps, any ideas?
Old 10-04-2023, 06:23 PM
uscarrera
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

https://www.youtube.com/live/0rIAI7I...En4kMVqEoladAZ

https://www.youtube.com/live/hShyLYs...5o1SZEabMPzaHi

https://www.youtube.com/live/5jwG7M1...hPGsyR5KhT-i95

Rich
Old 10-04-2023, 06:26 PM
RossP
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by uscarrera
I have been to all 7 Rennsports my observations on 7 are there are some tweaks needed. The lines for the event store were ridiculous, two or more hour wait at times why not put up multiple kiosks that maybe just sell the high volume items such as posters, hats and T-shirts. Food vendors in the paddock were experiencing the same long lines and they often ran out of choices early in the day including coffee on rainy cold Saturday morning now that is sacrilege 😀. I also think organizers have strayed from the core of Rennsport, the on track racing after all its in the name, too many new car VIP and Porsche display laps taking more and more time away from the historic Porsche cars on track. I also don’t remember any rain days at Rennsport 4, 5, or 6 so they should work on that climate change issue and make sure no rain at this event in the future 😀
Rich
Fully agree with this. My only two complaints about the event were the merchandise lines (2+ official merchandise tents are needed next time), and the "food court" area which was not sufficient for 10s of thousands of people especially during the lunch rush.
Old 10-04-2023, 10:15 PM
Joey996
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

How much were the PCA grill badges? I see them now on EBay for $150 and up. Just curious what they sold for. Only 2000 of them it says.

Joey
Old 10-04-2023, 10:33 PM
Ksdaoski
Rennlist Member

Received 1,362 Likes on 683 Posts

Originally Posted by RossP
Fully agree with this. My only two complaints about the event were the merchandise lines (2+ official merchandise tents are needed next time), and the "food court" area which was not sufficient for 10s of thousands of people especially during the lunch rush.
There were food trucks in the outskirts of the vendor section and they were pretty dead. Also charged 50-70% more than usual, getting that Porsche tax! But I agree in general. I counted the beer line at 150 feet long on Saturday at the corkscrew,.serving one at a time...that would not happen at Road America! Beer for everyone!!!! 'sconsin!

And yeah never bothered with merch tent. I was there at 7am on Sunday and Merch tent was 100 deep....stupid.
Old 10-05-2023, 09:35 AM
Slow RSA
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by analogmike
I couldn't seem to find any PCA race coverage on the youtube, maybe a few laps, any ideas?

There wasn't much coverage at all. Race 1 was at 8am and the youtube broadcast was covering the new GT3R Rennsport instead. Missed the whole PCA race. Then Race 2 at 2.30pm had a little bit of coverage, but had other bits overlapping as well. If anybody finds some coverage, let me know, too. Thanks!

And amen to the lines! Lines everywhere for everything. Long ones. I can't imagine how much more revenue could have been generated if 45 minute lines weren't deterring everybody from buying $10 draft biers.
Old 10-05-2023, 09:56 AM
Driver8
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Joey996
How much were the PCA grill badges? I see them now on EBay for $150 and up. Just curious what they sold for. Only 2000 of them it says.

Joey
They were sold on site to PCA members only for $85. They were a limited run of 2,000.
Joey996 (10-05-2023)
Old 10-05-2023, 09:57 AM
uscarrera
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

RR7 Compared to RR6 TV coverage which followed each race in its entirety with few cut sways was not as good and Varsha as a commentator was much better. One item that always pisses me off is not showing race position for ALL competitors after all each driver deserves to be listed as they did in 2018 not just the top ten. RR6 was presented and organized much better than RR7, not sure why so many changes were made to a proven formula.
Rich
Old 10-05-2023, 11:08 AM
ParadiseGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 828 Likes on 459 Posts

Old 10-05-2023, 04:05 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 104 Posts

I enjoyed the event a lot, this is my 4th going back to Daytona.

I didn't even think about attempting the merchandising setup due to the lines, and frankly was better off packing a sandwich than dealing with food trucks.

Agree that the biggest area for improvement is DEFINITELY to have more racing, and MUCH less PCNA demo stuff. I felt so bad to see the early Cups run for what, 1 lap, before a wreck black flagged the entire race. I can't imagine how much overhead goes into attending for drivers and teams, for so little racing.

Cheers

Matt
The following 2 users liked this post by Matt Lane:
9114609048 (10-05-2023), Cory M (10-05-2023)
Old 10-06-2023, 08:32 AM
uscarrera
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I entered and drove my car at RR6 and yes it was costly to have car transported from Florida to California with track support and all the other expenses but it is truly one of my most cherished memories. At RR6 and RR7 the Flacht Cup run group had a scheduled <3 hours of track time luckily except for a couple short yellows we got all of our track time in 2018, this time at RR7 with rain on Friday and crash at green flag in Sunday race with no full green laps then a black flag all ended that run 😩 group got much less track time then planned, but that’s racing. I believe the primary draw at RR for both spectators and participants is the on track racing, event organizers need to remember that core interest.
Rich

Quick Reply: RR VII... great event!