Hoosier R7 rubber pickup

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2023, 01:32 PM
Nowanker
Burning Brakes

Location: Formerly the DPRK, now seeking political asylum in Oregon
Received 386 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by Locker537
I'm confident you know this, but anytime I see someone rubbing their hands over tires I think about an errant piece of safety wire, screw, or any other metal object absolutely gashing your hand open.

So...be careful! If I remember correctly, Carroll Smith even mentions this in his books!
Done that personally, with a screw sticking out the tread.
It was ugly.
Old 10-11-2023, 01:37 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,457 Likes on 1,010 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowanker
Done that personally, with a screw sticking out the tread.
It was ugly.
Ouch!!
Old 10-11-2023, 01:47 PM
max pl
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

The weather was perfect Monday and I had zero issues with the tires for the most part; just some pickup along the center of the tires which never cause vibration. Started them a few psi higher than normal
as suggested and they gripped well all day despite the cool temps.

I’ve said it before, but WGI seems to be a bigger problem for me than LRP. I wonder if it’s the curbs at WGI where I pickup rubber.
Old 10-11-2023, 03:00 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by max pl
Thanks for all the advice everyone.

The weather was perfect Monday and I had zero issues with the tires for the most part; just some pickup along the center of the tires which never cause vibration. Started them a few psi higher than normal
as suggested and they gripped well all day despite the cool temps.

I’ve said it before, but WGI seems to be a bigger problem for me than LRP. I wonder if it’s the curbs at WGI where I pickup rubber.
All the apex curbs at WGI are black because that's the fastest way around but you won't pick up any marbles there....just about anywhere on the outer third of the track gets filthy as the day rolls on.
Old 10-11-2023, 03:02 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

I'm confident you know this, but anytime I see someone rubbing their hands over tires I think about an errant piece of safety wire, screw, or any other metal object absolutely gashing your hand open.

So...be careful! If I remember correctly, Carroll Smith even mentions this in his books!
I have indeed thought of that, I try my best to eyeball them first but there's always that chance....
Old 10-11-2023, 03:13 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dgrobs
G has HUGE hands. He should be extra careful.....
Helps when I'm playing the Stratocaster
Not as big as as Jimi's though

Old 10-11-2023, 04:20 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gbuff
Helps when I'm playing the Stratocaster
Not as big as as Jimi's though
Tire tracks all across your back baby, seen you’ve had your fun…
The following 2 users liked this post by dgrobs:
analogmike (10-12-2023), gbuff (10-11-2023)
Old 10-12-2023, 07:18 AM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by max pl
This is my exact experience anytime this occurs. I slow down due to the vibration and apparently that just adds more marbles as I'm not generating enough heat.

Anyone I've asked about this issue the past few days argues that I must be off line to get pickup, but no, I do not go off line, even when giving point bys. I force the passing driver off line. The one area I speculate has perhaps led to some pickup is the outer curb at T1 at WGI or perhaps T10; are curbs usually an area with an increased amount of rubber on the ground?

My issue is entirely caused by rubber pickup and not wheel balance as my journey with this issue started with having the wheels rebalanced countless times, double layers of HVAC tape to keep wheel weight on, and then moving to hairspray to have them mounted. All of this has led to very little slip of the tire on the wheel ruling balance out as the cause of vibration.
You dont go offline - ever? So in a DE, you never go offline to pass anyone?
Old 10-12-2023, 09:44 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,383 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Originally Posted by 177mph
You dont go offline - ever? So in a DE, you never go offline to pass anyone?
I don't think anyone is suggesting that the OP not go offline ever. As a matter of fact, it is important to learn to take an offline pass.

In the instant matter, where tire pickup is the problem, many people have suggested staying offline to figure out the problem.
Old 10-12-2023, 02:46 PM
Locker537
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by gbuff
I have indeed thought of that, I try my best to eyeball them first but there's always that chance....
Milwaukee (and a bunch of others, but I like Milwaukee stuff in general) make affordable gloves that offer cut protection. There is Level 1, Level 3, etc.

Get some of those!
The following users liked this post:
gbuff (10-19-2023)
Old 10-12-2023, 05:07 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Milwaukee (and a bunch of others, but I like Milwaukee stuff in general) make affordable gloves that offer cut protection. There is Level 1, Level 3, etc.

Get some of those!
He's a glove size 4XL…..
Old 10-18-2023, 01:21 PM
Steve113
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 145 Posts

Why is tire pick up even an issue? I will all come off your first lap of next session. Stay online during your cool down lap and you will have less.

Pick up is worse if your DE follows a race the was held there previously when everyone was on slicks.

Last edited by Steve113; 10-18-2023 at 03:58 PM.
Old 10-18-2023, 01:45 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 3,487 Likes on 2,011 Posts

Agree. You can burn it off pretty quickly. But I get it, the first time you experience it, you don't like it.
Old 10-18-2023, 02:24 PM
Jas0nn
Pro

Received 316 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve113
Why is tire pick up event and issue? I will all come off your first lap of next session.
More than just a small amount of pickup is a sign that the tires aren't getting up to temp - so its a good indication that either (1) the setup needs some adjustment, or you just didn't drive hard enough to bring up the temp (which I think is the case with OP). If there's a problem corner that isn't getting temp because of setup issues, it won't shed the pickup and will only add more as session add up ...
Old 10-18-2023, 07:28 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 40 Posts

Not every car is the same, Steve and Jason.
My pickup bands never go away. Complete rubber bands, on the inside of one tire and down the middle on the other side. My tire temps are fine, and I am close to the lap records.
Maybe my aggressive alignment and low pressures are causing some of that. And I don't slide my car, I can go several sessions with no opposite
lock corrections. And running 275/15 on 9" rims is not ideal. so I remove the rubber every session or two. The molding marks on the center of the tires are still there
after several sessions.

Quick Reply: Hoosier R7 rubber pickup