Sponsored by:

Fatality at Daytona

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2023, 11:07 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,460 Likes on 1,013 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Königin
Police identify Ohio man as victim of fatal crash at Daytona International Speedway (msn.com)In a Facebook post, a woman, Beth Ann Mathys-Griner, who identified herself as Mathys's sister, explained how the fatal crash at the Speedway occurred.

"Mark had a flat and pulled to the wall. While two other cars came around and hit each other sending one into the wall hitting Mark. They had to take the top off the car to get him out and he died either instantly or on the way to the hospital," she wrote in her post.

~ so very sad RIP
Oh man that’s horrible.

If that was the case, and I have no reason to believe it wasn’t, where were the flaggers?
Maybe I just don’t know the layout of flaggers on the circuit, but if he time to pull over to the wall, no corner worker saw him no flaggers with waving yellows?

Just speculation and I could be 100% wrong, and either way this is horrible.

Old 11-03-2023, 12:27 AM
pjazz
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by dgrobs
Oh man that’s horrible.

If that was the case, and I have no reason to believe it wasn’t, where were the flaggers?
Maybe I just don’t know the layout of flaggers on the circuit, but if he time to pull over to the wall, no corner worker saw him no flaggers with waving yellows?

Just speculation and I could be 100% wrong, and either way this is horrible.
If I remember correctly they use lights at Daytona. Possibly not quick enough to see decelerating from high speed.

Last edited by pjazz; 11-03-2023 at 12:32 AM.
Old 11-03-2023, 01:48 AM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 161 Posts

To say, "this is horrible", is so true. But perhaps not quite enough. There is undoubtedly something to be learned, and it is too bad that in motor-racing there really isn't an appropriate venue. For nearly five decades, I participated in one of Ernest Hemighway's other two true sports, mountain-climbing, and at a fairly high level. In that world, there is indeed a formal venue to compile, analyze, and disseminate information about accidents, so that some might learn. For decades, each year the American Alpine Club has compiled, investigated, and analyzed available information about climbing accidents, and publishes an annual "Accidents in North American Mountaineering". While no single accident has changed the world, in aggregate understanding of accident causes has led to important changes in both technology and practice of the sport. Maybe this would be a good role for SCCA. Food for thought.
The following 4 users liked this post by raspritz:
analogmike (11-06-2023), pdxjim (11-12-2023), RossP (11-05-2023), thebishman (11-03-2023)
Old 11-03-2023, 02:56 AM
Jas0nn
Pro

Received 316 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by raspritz
For decades, each year the American Alpine Club has compiled, investigated, and analyzed available information about climbing accidents, and publishes an annual "Accidents in North American Mountaineering". While no single accident has changed the world, in aggregate understanding of accident causes has led to important changes in both technology and practice of the sport. Maybe this would be a good role for SCCA. Food for thought.
I used this exact example early today in the discussion about rules and 13/13s that's happening in the MidEngine thread! I totally agree. When the stakes are so high, we ought to use every teaching moment available to us ...

But at the right time. Today is not yet that tIme.

Last edited by Jas0nn; 11-03-2023 at 12:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ProCoach (11-03-2023)
Old 11-03-2023, 09:49 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,901 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Originally Posted by pjazz
If I remember correctly they use lights at Daytona. Possibly not quick enough to see decelerating from high speed.
That is not true. The lights on the banking are plainly visible throughout NASCAR T4, start/finish, entering T1 and then workers in the narrowing throat at T1 through T2.

If a driver can’t see them, they're not looking.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

The following 3 users liked this post by ProCoach:
Carrera51 (11-03-2023), M13S (11-08-2023), nineball (11-03-2023)
Old 11-03-2023, 12:28 PM
lgusto
Instructor

Received 118 Likes on 69 Posts

To say, "this is horrible", is so true. But perhaps not quite enough. There is undoubtedly something to be learned, and it is too bad that in motor-racing there really isn't an appropriate venue. For nearly five decades, I participated in one of Ernest Hemighway's other two true sports, mountain-climbing, and at a fairly high level. In that world, there is indeed a formal venue to compile, analyze, and disseminate information about accidents, so that some might learn. For decades, each year the American Alpine Club has compiled, investigated, and analyzed available information about climbing accidents, and publishes an annual "Accidents in North American Mountaineering". While no single accident has changed the world, in aggregate understanding of accident causes has led to important changes in both technology and practice of the sport. Maybe this would be a good role for SCCA. Food for thought.
Agree 100%. In my industry (merchant marine) the US Coast Guard publishes extensive information on mishaps at sea. Responsible captains devour each of these reports and make their safety recommendations an important part of their SOP.
Old 11-03-2023, 12:40 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,402 Likes on 1,630 Posts

I think the take-away from this is unfortunately simple and there isn't much to learn - there is no completely safe place to be parked on a hot track.

Do we need to know much more?

Last edited by LuigiVampa; 11-03-2023 at 08:53 PM. Reason: spelling of "there"
The following 6 users liked this post by LuigiVampa:
9114609048 (11-03-2023), 911Königin (11-04-2023), mike1111 (11-11-2023), nineball (11-03-2023), ProCoach (11-03-2023), ZnZBar 986S (11-06-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-03-2023, 01:02 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,460 Likes on 1,013 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
I think the take-away from this is unfortunately simple and there isn't much to learn - the is no completely safe place to be parked on a hot track.

I would like to know more, just for learning and instructing purposes. Something just doesn’t feel right about this horrible accident, and I would still like to know what could have been done for this to have NOT have happened.
Old 11-03-2023, 01:33 PM
lgusto
Instructor

Received 118 Likes on 69 Posts

I think the take-away from this is unfortunately simple and there isn't much to learn - the is no completely safe place to be parked on a hot track.

This post has me scratching my head. Is this not like saying "there's just no safe place for a fire on a ship" and letting that be the end of the lesson? Yes, I'd like to know much more. For me adequate Failure Analysis must include What happened, Why did it happen, and How do we prevent it from happening again.
The following 2 users liked this post by lgusto:
dgrobs (11-03-2023), raspritz (11-03-2023)
Old 11-03-2023, 04:09 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,402 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by lgusto
This post has me scratching my head. Is this not like saying "there's just no safe place for a fire on a ship" and letting that be the end of the lesson? Yes, I'd like to know much more. For me adequate Failure Analysis must include What happened, Why did it happen, and How do we prevent it from happening again.
What more is there than the only truly safe place is behind the armco? They should have brought him in.

Unlike your ship example what happens appears very binary.
Old 11-03-2023, 04:34 PM
ldamelio
Rennlist Member

Received 903 Likes on 485 Posts

What more is there than the only truly safe place is behind the armco? They should have brought him in.

Unlike your ship example what happens appears very binary.
I have to respectfully disagree with you here. I have a background in HRO - applying safety systems and best practice learned from from commercial aviation, nuclear power and other high risk industries to reduce error and harm in other industries (health care in my case.) Tragedies like this are almost never binary. In my former industry, 85% of the time there are flaws in system design that cause preventable harm. Often they are multiple small things that individually seem inconsequential but somehow line up just right (or wrong) to kill someone. In 15% of cases, human error is involved. And system flaws and human error not mutually exclusive in any given tragedy.

I agree with the others here who cite dissemination of reviews of bad outcomes in alpinism and marine operations as opportunities to learn and prevent future issues. If every tragedy was reduced to binary or a single issue causing the outcome, we'd still have jetliners crashing every week like we did in the 1980's, none of us would be driving with HANS (the Earnhardt review was extremely detailed), we would have multiple F1 drivers dead from a lack of halos, etc.

Luigi - you're an attorney and can appreciate better than anyone how complex the law is. Saying this incident is binary is like saying that all civil or criminal litigation is binary and right and wrong can be quickly and unambiguously determined. None of us can armchair this incident at Daytona from behind our keyboards, but I'm certain there are lessons to be learned and possibly improvements to me made at the venue.

Last edited by ldamelio; 11-03-2023 at 04:39 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Tedster (11-11-2023)
Old 11-03-2023, 04:35 PM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 161 Posts

It seems to me that if you declare there is nothing to be learned you guarantee that outcome.
The following 5 users liked this post by raspritz:
Darkstar1 (11-11-2023), Jas0nn (11-03-2023), ldamelio (11-03-2023), R717 (11-03-2023), RossP (11-05-2023)
Old 11-03-2023, 04:38 PM
ldamelio
Rennlist Member

Received 903 Likes on 485 Posts

It seems to me that if you declare there is nothing to be learned you guarantee that outcome.
You nailed it - and in many less words than I used to say the same thing.
Old 11-03-2023, 05:24 PM
Jas0nn
Pro

Received 316 Likes on 154 Posts

Well said.
Old 11-03-2023, 05:57 PM
nineball
Pro

Received 297 Likes on 205 Posts

there is nothing to learn from this incident other than all drivers on track, amateur or professional, should pay close attention to cautions be they flags or highly visible lights. it was human error that caused a small incident which lead to another extremely unfortunate incident, nothing more.
The following 2 users liked this post by nineball:
LuigiVampa (11-03-2023), ZnZBar 986S (11-06-2023)

Quick Reply: Fatality at Daytona