Sponsored by:

Fatality at Daytona

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2023, 06:11 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,461 Likes on 1,014 Posts

Originally Posted by raspritz
It seems to me that if you declare there is nothing to be learned you “guarantee that outcome”.
Numerous times for that matter.
If it was corner worker failure, let’s hear that.
If the safety corner lights failed, let’s hear that.
If they didn’t, then let’s hear that.
If it was red mist on the part of the collateral damagers, then let’s hear that.
Whatever it was, let’s hear about it and learn from it.
How do you not put safety first in this game? Answer, you don’t.
To say there is nothing to hear here (see what I did there?) you are just taunting history to repeat itself and this will happen again and again.
Fantastic post spritz…
The following 2 users liked this post by dgrobs:
grega99 (11-03-2023), ldamelio (11-04-2023)
Old 11-03-2023, 06:18 PM
ldamelio
Rennlist Member

Received 903 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by nineball
there is nothing to learn from this incident other than all drivers on track, amateur or professional, should pay close attention to cautions be they flags or highly visible lights. it was human error that caused a small incident which lead to another extremely unfortunate incident, nothing more.
So you were there and have analyzed detailed kinematic data and video ? Thinking the way you are (implicit assumption it's only human error, you probably wouldn't have done the same, some 'fortune' was involved) may make you feel better when you're on the track. I prefer data and process oriented thinking. S**t may still happen but a process oriented thought process is better able to foresee and prevent bad things.
Old 11-03-2023, 08:15 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,903 Likes on 1,701 Posts

Originally Posted by dgrobs
If it was red mist on the part of the collateral damagers, then let’s hear that.
Good Lord, Bruce. One of the "collateral damagers" was injured, for goodness sake.

There are are more appropriate venues and MUCH more appropriate people who are doing the forensic analysis than those in a public forum like Rennlist.

As much to be learned by the serious incident at VIR, and yet not a peep of righteous indignation on that.

Just because the peanut gallery doesn't get instantly satiated by all the gory details doesn't mean there isn't a hell of a lot of study going on by folks with far more data and information than we will ever have.

I'm apologize for letting off steam this way, but it's not simple, and it's none of most people's business. I've been at the track over the last forty years for too many incidents resulting in serious injury or death, but it's still safer than the drive to or from the track, considering the million-passenger miles traveled by all participants, AFAIK.

I am sure good information and direction, if it can help others, will come out of the forensic analysis of the incidents at both tracks last weekend. Pax.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Last edited by ProCoach; 11-03-2023 at 08:17 PM.
The following 9 users liked this post by ProCoach:
BostonDMD (11-08-2023), Gary R. (11-04-2023), grega99 (11-03-2023), Juan Lopez (11-06-2023), ldamelio (11-04-2023), LuigiVampa (11-03-2023), nineball (11-03-2023), Tedster (11-11-2023), winders (11-04-2023) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-03-2023, 09:00 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,404 Likes on 1,631 Posts

I want to be clear here, because the last thing I want to do is bring controversy to the memory of a racer who just died, or the other driver who was injured.

I ALWAYS think it is a good idea to learn from mistakes - in racing and in life. I'm not discounting all the good thoughts people have expressed along those lines.

My comments that "there is nothing to learn" is predicated on the fact that whenever you leave a car on a hot track there is a risk. If you black flag the session, and pull the car, there is no risk. Someone made the decision that the car was in a safe place and that was obviously an awful mistake.

In my opinion it is a binary mistake - you either pull the car or not. If the car had been pulled this thread would not exist.

Last edited by LuigiVampa; 11-03-2023 at 09:03 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ldamelio (11-04-2023)
Old 11-03-2023, 09:02 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Speculation, counsel.
The following 3 users liked this post by ProCoach:
ldamelio (11-04-2023), mglobe (11-11-2023), Nowanker (11-04-2023)
Old 11-03-2023, 09:06 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Certainly there is something to be learned from root cause analysis. I think of medication errors and other medical incidents where the Swiss cheese effect (an unfortunate formation, collection and intersection of errors, none of which would be lethal on their own, line up) occurs.

We talk all the time at the track doing incident forensics of identifying the beginnings of a cascade of failures that finally accumulate enough to cause property damage. Sometimes this results in serious injury or death…without facts and intimate knowledge of all the parties present, it’s just speculation, right now.

Last edited by ProCoach; 11-03-2023 at 09:10 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ProCoach:
DER951 (11-12-2023), ldamelio (11-04-2023)
Old 11-03-2023, 09:10 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,404 Likes on 1,631 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Speculation, counsel.
It is wishful speculation. Absolutely.

I've seen friends have awful accidents at the track and when I get out of the car my hands are shaking. I've brought clothes to a friend at the hospital in WGI after a huge crash. Sometimes in the moment I question what I am doing.

It is easy to quantify my comments as my usual bluster which I am often guilty of. That is not where I am speaking from. I didn't know Mark but this is upsetting to me because I feel a connection with anyone who puts on a helmet.

I'll say no more on this subject other to hope that we do learn something from this tragedy.
The following 4 users liked this post by LuigiVampa:
911Königin (11-04-2023), ldamelio (11-04-2023), mlct (11-11-2023), ProCoach (11-03-2023)
Old 11-03-2023, 09:11 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
It is wishful speculation. Absolutely.

I've seen friends have awful accidents at the track and when I get out of the car my hands are shaking. I've brought clothes to a friend at the hospital in WGI after a huge crash. Sometimes in the moment I question what I am doing.

It is easy to quantify my comments as my usual bluster which I am often guilty of. That is not where I am speaking from. I didn't know Mark but this is upsetting to me because I feel a connection with anyone who puts on a helmet.

I'll say no more on this subject other to hope that we do learn something from this tragedy.
I am with you, man…
Old 11-03-2023, 09:54 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,461 Likes on 1,014 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Good Lord, Bruce. One of the "collateral damagers" was injured, for goodness sake.

There are are more appropriate venues and MUCH more appropriate people who are doing the forensic analysis than those in a public forum like Rennlist.

As much to be learned by the serious incident at VIR, and yet not a peep of righteous indignation on that.

Just because the peanut gallery doesn't get instantly satiated by all the gory details doesn't mean there isn't a hell of a lot of study going on by folks with far more data and information than we will ever have.

I'm apologize for letting off steam this way, but it's not simple, and it's none of most people's business. I've been at the track over the last forty years for too many incidents resulting in serious injury or death, but it's still safer than the drive to or from the track, considering the million-passenger miles traveled by all participants, AFAIK.

I am sure good information and direction, if it can help others, will come out of the forensic analysis of the incidents at both tracks last weekend. Pax.
I don’t even know how to respond to this post, except to say that you are WAY OFF BASE.
Righteous indignation? What the F are you talking about?
And then you throw Chucks incident in my face?
How dare you!! Is that really who you are? Man did I have you pegged wrong. Live and learn I guess.
Im done here too.

Last edited by dgrobs; 11-03-2023 at 10:13 PM.
Old 11-04-2023, 05:01 AM
lgusto
Instructor

Received 118 Likes on 69 Posts

Social media, texts, emails, etc. are difficult mediums because it's so easy for experienced, intelligent and considerate senders to come across poorly. I think this thread exemplifies that concept.

I get that there is a time and place for these discussions. I can only surmise from some of the visceral responses that this is neither the time nor the place. Lesson learned, apologies to those I've upset.
The following 3 users liked this post by lgusto:
LuigiVampa (11-06-2023), mglobe (11-04-2023), ProCoach (11-04-2023)
Old 11-04-2023, 09:34 AM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 71 Posts

Mark was a great guy. It will take me some time before I delete his contact informaion from the phone.

The following 3 users liked this post by Cemoto:
LuigiVampa (11-06-2023), mglobe (11-06-2023), ProCoach (11-04-2023)
Old 11-04-2023, 11:42 AM
911Königin
Rennlist Member

Received 526 Likes on 300 Posts

Originally Posted by Cemoto

Mark was a great guy. It will take me some time before I delete his contact informaion from the phone.

Old 11-10-2023, 06:41 PM
steveP911
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 218 Posts

I am leery of making any comments in this slightly testy thread, but the commentary does raise a question that I have had for a bit. In virtually all of the DE events I have been in so far, I cannot recall one without some kind of incident. My question is, why are they not discussed at some level in later class sessions? I realize that there may be liability ramifications and maybe even personal sensitivity concerns on the part of the organization or track facility, but I would really like to know as factually as possible what happened in these incidents so I can be more aware of how to avoid them. I am not asking the question defiantly, but earnestly because it is an area of Driver Education that I feel comes up a bit short. Great instruction about improving skill and safety, but not enough real-world examples/lessons on specifically what can cause bad things to happen. Maybe I am not being realistic, but I am willing to ask the question here since I am committed to improving my safety (not just for me) every year.

My condolences to the family.

Thanks.
The following users liked this post:
stownsen914 (11-10-2023)
Old 11-11-2023, 07:28 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by steveP911
My question is, why are they not discussed at some level in later class sessions?
Nothing to do with this horrific incident, but to save you what would be an assuredly contentious driver's meeting.. Oil spill, Coolant spill, Blowout, Mechanical break, Redmist, bad judgement.. and the big one, ego, otherwise known as driving far beyond one's ability to control the car. Always a combination of these...

Last edited by Gary R.; 11-12-2023 at 06:52 AM.
Old 11-11-2023, 12:03 PM
Nowanker
Burning Brakes

Location: Formerly the DPRK, now seeking political asylum in Oregon
Received 389 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by steveP911
I am leery of making any comments in this slightly testy thread, but the commentary does raise a question that I have had for a bit. In virtually all of the DE events I have been in so far, I cannot recall one without some kind of incident. My question is, why are they not discussed at some level in later class sessions? I realize that there may be liability ramifications and maybe even personal sensitivity concerns on the part of the organization or track facility, but I would really like to know as factually as possible what happened in these incidents so I can be more aware of how to avoid them. I am not asking the question defiantly, but earnestly because it is an area of Driver Education that I feel comes up a bit short. Great instruction about improving skill and safety, but not enough real-world examples/lessons on specifically what can cause bad things to happen. Maybe I am not being realistic, but I am willing to ask the question here since I am committed to improving my safety (not just for me) every year.

My condolences to the family.

Thanks.
Despite NASA Norcal's stunningly bad HPDE safety record, there was a download meeting after every session.
If you had any kind of incident, we all discussed it at length.

I haven't run with them for a few years now, so I don't know if that's still the policy.
Also don't know their current safety stats. Maybe they stopped crashing cars.
Well, it could have happened....

My condolences to the racer's family.
As to the cause... Isn't the expression "It's never just ONE thing"?

Last edited by Nowanker; 11-11-2023 at 12:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Fatality at Daytona