Sponsored by:

Big Sale on Garmin Catalyst

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2023, 04:02 PM
lgusto
Instructor

Received 112 Likes on 68 Posts
Default Big Sale on Garmin Catalyst

I'm not affiliated with Ross Bentley or Garmin but it looks like a Merry Christmas sale courtesy of Ross for US Drivers and Canadian Drivers.

Even if you already have another tool this is SO different it's worth a place on your dash.

If you didn't already know, Ross has great articles on Substack. Very worthwhile articles several times a month.
Old 12-21-2023, 08:39 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 543 Likes on 287 Posts

Yep, on sale with all the dealers through the end of December. Buy from someone that can help you with data and understand what you're doing, not just some random website. Better yet...a Rennlist sponsor....
Makes a great Christmas gift...to yourself!

https://naroescapemotorsports.com/pr...rmin-catalyst/

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

The following users liked this post:
Matt Romanowski (12-21-2023)
Old 12-22-2023, 12:01 AM
LiveNupe
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Is it possible that they're coming out with a replacement soon?
Old 12-22-2023, 08:07 AM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I had that conversation with the Garmin guys at PRI Show. The official answer is no. The next comment was “even if we were coming out with one tomorrow I couldn’t tell you”.
So take that for what it is….

Dont take the sale as a sign of it being discontinued since Garmin puts these sales on all the time. $200 off is once a year around the holidays. But it ends Dec 31 so if you want one get it now. We have plenty in stock.
The following 2 users liked this post by NaroEscape:
LiveNupe (12-22-2023), Matt Romanowski (12-22-2023)
Old 12-22-2023, 09:18 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,886 Likes on 1,694 Posts

Garmin typically runs these sales in the second and fourth quarters and has since the device was introduced in September of 2020.

Even the introduction of a revamped model will not make the current unit less valuable to those who use it. There is significant development in the works, as with all of this technology.

As Bob says, it’s a great tool and he provides terrific support, so if you have a hankering, buy one!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 12-22-2023, 09:30 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 777 Likes on 506 Posts

Originally Posted by NaroEscape
I had that conversation with the Garmin guys at PRI Show. The official answer is no. The next comment was “even if we were coming out with one tomorrow I couldn’t tell you”.
So take that for what it is….
Originally Posted by ProCoach
Even the introduction of a revamped model will not make the current unit less valuable to those who use it. There is significant development in the works, as with all of this technology.
Someone spilling the beans?
Old 12-23-2023, 11:33 AM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 58 Posts

I can't say enough good about this as a tool for coaching people who don't need to boil the ocean of data or want to learn all there is about every aspect of driving to the nth degree. My experience only, but most casual HPDE types who won't look at their own data WILL work with the Garmin. I need to have mine repaired as the volume is shot on the unit. It won't go to a level that you can hear beyond "Low".
ProCoach (12-23-2023)
Old 12-23-2023, 02:24 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Mikelly
I can't say enough good about this as a tool for coaching people who don't need to boil the ocean of data or want to learn all there is about every aspect of driving to the nth degree. My experience only, but most casual HPDE types who won't look at their own data WILL work with the Garmin.
I have found this to be very true!

Few drivers have time, and even fewer the inclination, to troubleshoot, configure, navigate both an operating system and analysis software, in order to find out simply where to do better. From Apex Pro through MoTeC and Cosworth, few folks can make the task of using them fit into the time available.

The Catalyst, on the other hand, does a lot of the crunching folks like Ross Bentley and I do automatically in order to find, focus and present the areas of a driver's exceptional performance. Flowing Brilliance is what Skip Barber instructor Bruce MacInnes called it. The moment when you NAIL a corner or corner complex and KNOW it.

The Catalyst is able to isolate, record and instantly, within seconds of opening a review of the session while the driver is still sitting in the car, SHOW them EXACTLY what they did to do their very best. This best usually does not occur on some or most corners on their fastest lap, so this crunching is really, really time saving.

Data is intimidating, no question. Some folks, extolling the virtues of data, inadvertently make it that way, especially for drivers that may spend months away from the track and need to refamiliarize themselves with how to access the information they've used in the past on conventional data systems.

No one system ticks the box for everyone. Even as a professional who has hung my hat on using objective measures, instead of my opinion, to benchmark driver performance, as one who has worked with a variety of systems weekly for two decades, find it a challenge with most systems to get what I need to help drivers.

The Catalyst is a success because it's been effective in eliminating a lot of the challenges and roadblocks inherent in conventional data acquisition systems.

It includes video and data in the same window, which is mandatory. It can compare video and data side-by-side. It can quickly manufacture an "optimal" or theoretical best lap VIDEO, something some other systems have been capable of doing for a decade or a decade and a half, but one that helps more drivers "see" what they did to "get" that time, so they can do it again.

This stuff is really cool, and it's only getting better, more powerful, more usable and less expensive.
WillyDaP (12-24-2023)
Old 12-24-2023, 12:58 PM
519Kris
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

If you want to save a few more bucks and a bigger SD card:

https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1370256

Old 12-24-2023, 02:27 PM
LiveNupe
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I’m really hoping the next gen connects to the on board module so the videos include brake, throttle, and steering position. Keeping my fingers crossed!!
Old 12-24-2023, 02:40 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by LiveNupe
I’m really hoping the next gen connects to the on board module so the videos include brake, throttle, and steering position. Keeping my fingers crossed!!
Most OBDII ports don’t give any of that data. OBDII is for diagnostics, not driver performance.
LiveNupe (12-24-2023)
Old 12-24-2023, 02:43 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

You might get throttle position, but not brake and for sure not steering. Those don't come through the standard OBDII template. Otherwise you will need a custom template for each car, as the information that comes through the OBDII template is limited to engine speed, throttle position, engine coolant temp, intake air temp, et cetera.

I'm thinking of all the inexpensive loggers I know, like the ones that use the Apex Pro dongle and the VBOX dongle, even Harry's uses the same template. This insures maximum compatibility.

I hope for you and a few people that have been asking about it, but really recommend that if you want those driver control inputs, you upgrade to a system that allows you to use custom built, car specific CAN messaging, like AiM, VBOX or others specific to the car. That's the only way I've seen it done.
LiveNupe (12-24-2023)
Old 12-24-2023, 03:03 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

@ProCoach Peter, completely agree and was going to go into that detail, but I just don’t have the energy to type all that from my phone!

TBH, I am still blown away by the capability of the Catalyst. The revenue stream for Garmin from the Catalyst is practically a rounding error to its bottom line, but they spent a lot and provide excellent support to create an incredible tool for such a small niche market.

The longer you sit and “wait for the next latest/greatest”, the longer it is until you improve your driving.
ProCoach (12-24-2023)
Old 12-24-2023, 03:08 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by NaroEscape
@ProCoach Peter, completely agree and was going to go into that detail, but I just don’t have the energy to type all that from my phone!

TBH, I am still blown away by the capability of the Catalyst. The revenue stream for Garmin from the Catalyst is practically a rounding error to its bottom line, but they spent a lot and provide excellent support to create an incredible tool for such a small niche market.

The longer you sit and “wait for the next latest/greatest”, the longer it is until you improve your driving.
Where is the “love” button? Merry Christmas to you and Nadine!

I’ll just add that the end result that the Catalyst (or any decent professional coach) calculates driver performance doesn’t need individual driver control inputs to find time.

I think a majority of people are looking for validation in the video of their bravery, commitment (or not) when they ask for these things.

That said, when drivers get really fast, there’s a lot to be learned from brake pressure and position profiles…

Last edited by ProCoach; 12-24-2023 at 03:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Big Sale on Garmin Catalyst