Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Planning on attending first DE event

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2024, 03:47 PM
steveP911
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 218 Posts

I recently subscribed to Grassroots Motorsports and the latest daily newsletter had something that might interest you. A broader look at the move (slide?) to tracking your car. Note that you likely do have to subscribe ($3 a month?) to see this, but I still thought it worth noting for you.

#TBT | Get on track in 10 easy steps | Articles | Grassroots Motorsports

Glad you are well and able to pursue this! Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
ProCoach (01-25-2024)
Old 01-25-2024, 11:31 PM
M3tro81
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

Speed Secrets by Ross Bentley is a good read before hitting the track.
Watch Youtube videos of people driving the track, most certainly someone with the same car you have will have recorded in car footage - good for getting an idea of the lines and what gear to be in.
A tote that fits in the frunk is super helpful and can be picked up from Home Depot for cheap.
Things to put inside:
towel, sunscreen, torque wrench, window cleaner, some type of cloths (microfiber/terry/blue paper), garbage bags, tarp if you aren’t going to rent a garage, folding chair, quart of oil, case of water.
Often clubs/tracks require long sleeves and pants when on track, bring something light and breathable, something you can quickly throw on over top shorts/tshirt for a session and then off afterwards.
Shoes- any sneakers will do but make sure that they aren’t too clunky or have huge soles like what the kids are wearing these days. I have driving shoes that I wear for the sessions but then swap to crocs/flip flops in between.

Once you get to the track, say hello to the folks next to you in the paddock, tell them it’s your first time, get to know them. Two of my closest friends I met at my first DE and our group has continued to expand as we welcome in more newcomers - DE weekends really are such a fantastic experience, enjoy!
Old 02-02-2024, 09:09 PM
74goldtarga
Pro

Received 127 Likes on 69 Posts

I think you should take the GT3, it will be very communicative and "easy" to drive - it's a dream machine on track - it will absolutely spoil you for anything other than a factory race car. It is fast but if I was your instructor I would have you bring up the speed very slowly. Not that there is anything wrong with the C4S but it is a totally different car and I would expect it to be less confidence inspiring than the GT3. As previously stated - make sure the GT3 is full PPF and ideally has a windshield tear-off. The one weakness of the GT3 is that you might find you are behind other drivers a bit more and get a cracked windshield (comical how many of those my buddies and I had last summer). I have instructed novices in a GT3 a couple times before and it's fine. You may want to check with the chief instructor for the days you are going - are the other novices in porsche GT cars and full-cage race cars and 911 turbos -take the GT3, or are they in 944s and C4s and Boxsters -take the C4. It's a little easier to manage if you aren't in a lot slower or faster car than most. But these are all details and you should have a blast either way and frankly both cars are potentially extremely fast. Deciding to do my first DE (in a base 1974 911 TARGA!) was one of the best decisions I ever made.

Last edited by 74goldtarga; 02-02-2024 at 09:18 PM.
Old 02-05-2024, 03:53 PM
1Crazyoldgoat
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

I am in a similar situation to JohnC4S. I signed up for our Sacramento Region Autocross school in March. I was looking at a Snell SA2020 open-face helmet. I have never been near a track and would like to know why you suggest a close face helmet. I was planning to drive with the windows up. Is that not the case? Naturally, I have a tire pressure gauge, but why do I need a torque wrench?

As far as the open-face helmet is concerned, Conquer and Zamp sell the SA 2020 helmet. There is a $50 difference Is the Conquer worth the higher price?

Thanks
Old 02-05-2024, 04:45 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 3,483 Likes on 2,010 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Crazyoldgoat
I am in a similar situation to JohnC4S. I signed up for our Sacramento Region Autocross school in March. I was looking at a Snell SA2020 open-face helmet. I have never been near a track and would like to know why you suggest a close face helmet. I was planning to drive with the windows up. Is that not the case? Naturally, I have a tire pressure gauge, but why do I need a torque wrench?

As far as the open-face helmet is concerned, Conquer and Zamp sell the SA 2020 helmet. There is a $50 difference Is the Conquer worth the higher price?

Thanks
Protection. **** happens on the track. If you decide you like tracking your car, you may graduate to the point that you add a harness bar and 4 pt harness to wear a Hans. No need to spend money on a second helmet if you don't need too. Believe me when I tell you that it's easy to get hooked on tracking your car. Eventually reality sets in and you or your spouse start to realize the importance of safety.
1Crazyoldgoat (02-05-2024)
Old 02-05-2024, 05:00 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 358 Likes on 258 Posts

Thanks
Most US events want windows down. Doesn't happen often, but I've had debris enter the car a few times. Torque wrench is to check your wheel bolt torque, commonly done in the morning. First time you can likely borrow one in the paddock. The most important thing with helmets is the fit- there is variation among manufacturers so ideally you test fit a few different ones to find what is best for you. Second consideration imo is weight, lighter is better but lighter costs more.
Old 02-05-2024, 05:02 PM
steveP911
Rennlist Member

Thanks
I guess one could say that an open face helmet is a personal choice given that most organizations allow it for HPDE (at least my PCA one does). But for me, I kinda like my teeth/nose/chin where they are now. I don't see the risk/reward in an open face helmet. I know you are only starting in AX but I have seen a major crash there, believe it or not. I am assuming that if you are in the Racing and Driver Education forum and in a "first DE event" thread, you are considering HPDE, not just AX.

All AX and DE events I have been to require windows down. There is a thread on this......

You don't own a torque wrench? You should be checking your wheel bolt torques before/during/after events. If you don't want to buy one, find a friend who will let you use theirs at the event. Tech inspection at AX events expects you to have checked your wheel bolt torques. Unlike DE events, there are people (other drivers) standing out on the course assuming you won't ever lose a wheel.

Old 02-05-2024, 05:25 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,376 Likes on 1,620 Posts

All good advice on this thread.

Here is the reality of your first track - you are going to have a ton of fun and be overwhelmed at the same time.

Where is my classroom? Who is my instructor? When and where do I meet my instructor? Where do I grid? When do I find time to get lunch and go to the bathroom? Where do I park? Etc. Etc. Etc.

For your first track event you should listen, ask questions, stay hydrated and have fun. The next time you go you can build on what you learned the previous track days and it becomes easier and more enjoyable.

Good luck!
The following 4 users liked this post by LuigiVampa:
1Crazyoldgoat (02-05-2024), JohnC4S (02-07-2024), plafondles (02-06-2024), ProCoach (02-18-2024)
Old 02-05-2024, 05:56 PM
nineball
Pro

Received 292 Likes on 204 Posts

Thanks
price should never be the primary deciding factor on safety equipment. that being said you don't need a $1,000 carbon helmet but you also don't want the cheapest thing you can find. much like other things in my life i am contemplating purchasing i stick with the well known major bands until i have, what i feel, is adequate knowledge of brands unknown to the general public. HJC, Bell and G-Force are some well known brands with products covering the price spectrum. as posted fit is imperative and can vary greatly between brands. best method is to try on prior to purchase.
The following 2 users liked this post by nineball:
1Crazyoldgoat (02-05-2024), GC996 (02-05-2024)
Old 02-05-2024, 08:49 PM
1Crazyoldgoat
Advanced

Thanks for the information. I understand that trying on a helmet is the best way to ensure a proper fit. However, I have no idea where to find a brick and mortar merchant that is not 200 miles or more away. I live in the Sacramento, CA area. Any suggestoins?
Old 02-05-2024, 08:57 PM
1Crazyoldgoat
Advanced

Thanks for the response. If I understand your point, those manufacturers to sell the lower cost Snell SA 2020 helmets do not make the same quality helmet as do HJC, Bell and G-Force. Is that the point?

Fifty years go, when I use to jump out of small planes I used a Bell helmet. I still have it, but it is very old fashioned and would probably not meet any modern standards.

Thanks
Old 02-05-2024, 09:53 PM
steveP911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
When do I find time to get lunch and go to the bathroom?
This comment made me remember a hilarious thread you had a hand in - something about urinals at WGI? I can't find it.....
pterwilliger (02-06-2024)
Old 02-05-2024, 10:06 PM
steveP911
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the information. I understand that trying on a helmet is the best way to ensure a proper fit. However, I have no idea where to find a brick and mortar merchant that is not 200 miles or more away. I live in the Sacramento, CA area. Any suggestoins?
I found this thread. Where can i buy a auto racing helmet? - i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

Another option might be Amazon - follow the fitting guide and be ready to send back immediately for exchange as needed.
Amazon.com: RaceQuip Full Face Helmet PRO20 Series Snell SA2020 Rated Gloss White X-Large 276116 : Automotive Amazon.com: RaceQuip Full Face Helmet PRO20 Series Snell SA2020 Rated Gloss White X-Large 276116 : Automotive

Good luck!

1Crazyoldgoat (02-06-2024)
Old 02-05-2024, 10:18 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,283 Likes on 1,715 Posts

Im on the wrong coast and dont really know my CA geography but is Wine Country in Sonoma anywhere near u?

https://winecountrymotorsports.com/
Old 02-05-2024, 10:23 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,376 Likes on 1,620 Posts

Originally Posted by steveP911
This comment made me remember a hilarious thread you had a hand in - something about urinals at WGI? I can't find it.....
WGI got rid of the trough urinals! I am still upset about that.
steveP911 (02-06-2024)

Quick Reply: Planning on attending first DE event