Sponsored by:

Pro Ultra Lite vs Hans III vs Competitors

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2024, 03:57 PM
mehoff
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Pro Ultra Lite vs Hans III vs Competitors

Time to buy a new Hans and gravitated towards the Hans Pro Ultra Lite given it's the 1000lbs gorilla in the space. Did a bit of research and am no longer convinced. Hoping to hear thoughts/opinions on what people are currently using and how they like it. For background, I decided on a new Hans due to current Hans age and hoping to solve two problems:

1) Egress for Enduro driver changes. My current 10 year old Hans is too big and has led to some Chevy Chase level pratfalls during quick changes
2) Comfort. I get moderate to significant clavicle rubbing/pain after an enduro weekend. Can't feel anything while in the car, but afterwards is uncomfortable

Given those two parameters, it appeared my best choice may have been a Necksgen. Unfortunately I have not seen one on the grid and cannot find any reliable information on frontal impact compared to HANS to make me risk a manufacturer change.

Pro Ultra Lite vs Hans III
Prior to research, I was dead set on the Pro Ultra Lite. Prior to hitting the button, I wanted to see what other options Hans had available. After a quick search, I no longer understand the purpose of the Pro Ultra Lite and would welcome feedback. According to Hans:
  • The Hans III and Pro Ultra Lite are functionally identical. The only differences are materials and weight (direct from website)
  • The Hans III weighs 1.31lbs, while the Pro Ultra Lite weighs .86lbs (direct from website)
So, you are paying over 2x to save less than .5 of a pound? There must be other benefits. If not, who is the market for Pro Ultra Lite; carbon fetishists, guys who buy cup cars as their first track car??

As of now I'm leaning towards the Hans III. I know the Sparco/Stand 21 Clubman is out there and looks appealing as well, in addition to all of the HANS and Necksgen offerings. Opening it up to the forum: what you got and how you like it?
Old 01-29-2024, 05:42 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 465 Likes on 210 Posts

I had my Hans Pro Ultra Light catch on my cage while practicing my emergency exit on my Ferrari F430 Challenge. That car had an impossibly small hole to crawl out of so I had to be pretty precise, and I was not. Pinched a nerve in my back, missed the race, and had the pleasure of visiting a chiropractor for months. The rounded back is a nice improvement over the older models, but there is still a raised back.

I switched to the Necksgen, for different reasons, and found the lack of a high back to be an advantage. It is also more comfortable on my pronounced collar bones. For me, assuming its just as effective in an accident, its a much better design and more comfy than the Hans.

Old 01-29-2024, 11:27 PM
mehoff
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 37 Posts

that’s good info, thanks. Disappointed to hear the lower profile Hans still snags on cages
Old 01-30-2024, 08:31 AM
NastyHabits
Rennlist Member

Received 358 Likes on 153 Posts

Base version comparison, switched to Stand 21 from Hans due to clavicle rubbing issue. Problem solved.
Old 01-30-2024, 10:59 AM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

We usually tell our customers the $500 Hans will do the same thing as a $1200 Hans. You are just saving weight and it's such a small amount, I don't think it's worth the price unless you like the carbon fiber cool factor. Spend the money you save on a lighter suit, thinner gloves or some upgraded brake pads!

Toll free: 866-505-2739
Direct: 843-299-0997
EM: info@apexperformance.net
www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

Visit us on Facebook
The following users liked this post:
bcrdukes (01-30-2024)
Old 01-31-2024, 11:24 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 715 Likes on 417 Posts

I went from traditional Hans, one of the early ones, to a Necksgen to facilitate head to seat clearance in the Porsche LWB seats. Bed. Pleased with it so far.

Peter
Old 02-03-2024, 09:32 PM
DHI
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

How about a Simpson Hybrid Pro?
Not inexpensive, but probably the least likely to get caught on anything. Also provides lateral impact protection. Many Porsche Cup drivers in Europe seem to use these.
The following users liked this post:
MetroNYHPDE (02-04-2024)
Old 02-09-2024, 06:11 PM
Ed@Demonspeed
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 161 Likes on 118 Posts

I have the Necksgen Rev2. I love that thing. Small, but effective. I came out of an old school Hans carbon and I would not go back.

Yes, I have been in a few contact where it activated and it does its job.

Thanks

Ed

https://www.goodaero.com/
Race Designed Aerodynamics

https://racingtirewarmers.com/
Win more races with tire warmers

Great products for racers by racers

ed@demonspeed.com

Demon Speed Motorsports is a proud sponsor of PCA and the Club Racing Program

Quick Reply: Pro Ultra Lite vs Hans III vs Competitors