Sponsored by:

Transition to Racing w/CS

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2024, 09:21 PM
Paveit22
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transition to Racing w/CS

Looking for some helpful advice please. I am in the process of transitioning to racing from HDPE. I have a GT4 RS Clubsport. I'm on the west coast and am trying to determine if NASA, SCCA or PCA is the best route. It appears PCA is the best suited for the car with the most competitors though in addition to Race school (completed) they want recent race experience. Which class in NASA or SCCA has enough in the run group to actually make it a race. Again, I'm new to this so probably off base somewhere, if not everywhere. I just thought someone out there may have traveled the same steps. Thanks for reading the post!
Old 02-17-2024, 09:35 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 809 Likes on 495 Posts

PCA doesn't require recent race experience. Most Rookies join PCA Club Racing from the PCA driver Education program.
Old 02-17-2024, 11:21 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 257 Posts

With PCA you would be in a relatively large multi class race group. Not sure how many other cars in class you would be out there with. I don't know how many RS Clubsports have come in to PCA club racing yet, maybe more in your area? The 4 liter RS is GTD3. 981 is GTD1 and 718 3.8l is GTD2 (my class). These are Spec classes so very few changes are allowed from the original PMNA specs. The Pirelli DHF and Pirelli Wet are the spec tires.

You don't need a formal Race school or race experience to apply as a rookie in PCA Club Racing. The first weekend is the "race school" with a rookie orientation meeting and participation in practice, qualifying and races. To apply you need the medical form, the application form with your track experience the prior 2 years (12 days min and 6 with PCA), and a statement of your skill and experience from a PCA region CDI. Also there are a couple of forms needed to get a logbook if the car doesn't already have one and a few requirements for numbers, class stickers etc.

You can read through the PCA rule book and other info on licensing on the site Rules | PCA Club Racing

Hope this helps. I've been going through the process with my first race weekend at COTA in one week

The following 2 users liked this post by zedcat:
Frank 993 C4S (02-18-2024), ProCoach (02-18-2024)
Old 02-18-2024, 10:07 AM
Paveit22
Track Day

Thanks for the reply! I've been going through all 3 rule books NASA,SCCA,PCA feels like Im working on my masters in motorsport. Its nice to see it laid out in a post, sounds like I should be honing in on PCA. Just wish there were a few more events to choose from with PCA. I appreciate the info on the class to run in and tires required, very helpful. Good luck on your first race, judging from your post I'm sure you will be well prepared.
Old 02-18-2024, 11:09 AM
RobT 394
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 58 Posts

Porsche Sprint Challenge is running a specific race group for these cars on both the left and right coast. You would have to check into the licensing requirements for USAC.
Old 02-18-2024, 01:59 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RobT 394
You would have to check into the licensing requirements for USAC.
For Porsche Sprint Challenge, a Racing Bio is required, and that Racing Bio is subject to Competition Director review.
Old 02-18-2024, 07:31 PM
519Kris
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Take a look at race results for all the clubs to see if you’ll have people to race with. Also consider how much track time each club can give you!
Old 02-18-2024, 08:24 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,693 Posts

Originally Posted by RobT 394
Porsche Sprint Challenge is running a specific race group for these cars on both the left and right coast. You would have to check into the licensing requirements for USAC.
I would not recommend Porsche Sprint Challenge for someone without some significant racing experience. I've mentored and coached several folks (and more, this year) in that program and that is entry level professional racing, not amateur or club racing.

You want a program and a culture that will provide a reasonably friendly level of competition, with guidance and mentoring that will allow you to gain experience over time to give you the confidence and comfort level you need at the higher levels of driving performance.

PCA or POC on the West Coast may provide that more than NASA and certainly more than SCCA. The nice thing is that you have a car that fits in a lot of different places, so take your time.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

The following 2 users liked this post by ProCoach:
skeeler (02-19-2024), tgsmith4845 (02-23-2024)
Old 02-18-2024, 08:43 PM
Paveit22
Track Day

Thanks for the heads up! I'm definitely not entry level pro status. Checking race results for NASA it seems the class for the clubsport is pretty thin. Although they do provide a pretty steady diet of events between Sonoma and Thunderhill. Curious as to why you think SCCA is not such a good fit.
BTW-This morning I just finished your track walk video with Ross Bentley on Laguna Seca. Very thorough & informative, now I just have to retain it...
Thanks
Old 02-18-2024, 08:57 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Paveit22
Thanks for the heads up! I'm definitely not entry level pro status. Checking race results for NASA it seems the class for the clubsport is pretty thin. Although they do provide a pretty steady diet of events between Sonoma and Thunderhill. Curious as to why you think SCCA is not such a good fit.
BTW-This morning I just finished your track walk video with Ross Bentley on Laguna Seca. Very thorough & informative, now I just have to retain it...
Thanks
Glad you enjoyed it. It may be useful to refer back to it every now and then. It is a lot of information, but as Ross is fond of saying, "How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time!"

I think SCCA is cleaner racing than NASA, at least on the East Coast. SCCA does offer some great racing, certainly a higher level than NASA, in my experience. Check the results from multiple regions, as people travel a good distance to the races they want to go to.

Part of the fun of racing is hanging out with drivers of similar cars, on track and off. So if you can find a group, even a small one, of similar cars, go there.

I don't think the class is highly subscribed unless there is a concerted effort among car owners of that class to designate specific events to go to.

Too many events, organizations and venues and that means dilution. You might want to contact some Porsche race shops in your area and see what they say about where they take their customer cars.

Old 02-18-2024, 09:09 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

Too fast a car to start racing in

spec series
learn the ropes

if you love it / are fast keep going and get back in your 718 in my opinion
Old 02-18-2024, 11:08 PM
cienegavista
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

PCA GGR will put on five CR weekends in 2024, excellent group to run with. However you will typically have no one in your class to run with. I would agree with audipwr1 to start with a slower car in a spec series. SpecBox would be excellent, low entry point low (relatively) operating costs and an absolutely outstanding group of SpecBox racers that you will find incredibly helpful. Can't stress enough how much enjoyment would will get racing with that particular group and GGR in general. Save the Clubsport for when you have more experience. You might have so much fun you'd just keep racing the Boxster.
mc
The following users liked this post:
tgsmith4845 (02-23-2024)
Old 02-19-2024, 08:32 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

PCA runs 5 Club Race weekends per year at Sonoma, Thunderhill, Laguna and Buttonwillow and you don’t need to be running an SPB or 911Cup to have fun racing. This is mixed class racing so you will always have somebody to race against. There are always 1-2 Clubsports at Sonoma and the Clubsport is a wonderful safe and reliable platform to get into racing.

PCA is a car club that went racing and has a no contact rule so you bring whatever Porsche you have.
The following users liked this post:
ProCoach (02-19-2024)
Old 02-19-2024, 09:06 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
PCA runs 5 Club Race weekends per year at Sonoma, Thunderhill, Laguna and Buttonwillow and you don’t need to be running an SPB or 911Cup to have fun racing. This is mixed class racing so you will always have somebody to race against. There are always 1-2 Clubsports at Sonoma and the Clubsport is a wonderful safe and reliable platform to get into racing.

PCA is a car club that went racing and has a no contact rule so you bring whatever Porsche you have.
+1
Old 02-19-2024, 10:41 AM
James-GMG
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 111 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Paveit22
Looking for some helpful advice please. I am in the process of transitioning to racing from HDPE. I have a GT4 RS Clubsport. I'm on the west coast and am trying to determine if NASA, SCCA or PCA is the best route. It appears PCA is the best suited for the car with the most competitors though in addition to Race school (completed) they want recent race experience. Which class in NASA or SCCA has enough in the run group to actually make it a race. Again, I'm new to this so probably off base somewhere, if not everywhere. I just thought someone out there may have traveled the same steps. Thanks for reading the post!
Happy to help if you don't have a race shop you are working with as we have our ladder program which starts at the Thermal Club and transitions to POC/PCA, then Porsche Sprint Challenge, Carrera cup and eventually either SRO or IMSA. Thermal has monthly Club races and I am allowed to bring in guests for some testing and these events. For example, we have a race this coming weekend but on Wed and Thursday, we are testing a new GT4RS CS (first time client in the car) a new 992 Cup (first time client in the car) and a 992R (experienced driver) and then all 3 racing this weekend under the guise of our team and the Race Director. Through this process we have graduated 6 drivers from Thermal GT racing into Porsche Sprint Challenge and it's worked out great.

My email is James@gmgracing.com if you would like to discuss this further.

Best

James F. Sofronas | President & Owner
Global Motorsports Group ™
E: james@gmgracing.com
P: +1 (714) 432-1582
F: +1 (714) 432-1590
A: 3210 South Shannon Street, Santa Ana, California 92704
W: gmgracing.com
The following 6 users liked this post by James-GMG:
993944S2 (02-19-2024), bcrdukes (02-19-2024), Matt Romanowski (02-19-2024), ProCoach (02-19-2024), skeeler (02-19-2024), tgsmith4845 (02-23-2024) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Quick Reply: Transition to Racing w/CS