Sponsored by:

ZL1 - Track day experience?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2024, 10:41 AM
Olemiss540
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 184 Posts
Default ZL1 - Track day experience?

Been deep diving into Chevys for my next track day car. Advanced run group driver with 15years HPDE experience, looking at a car to run 4 or 5 weekends a year. Anyone around here been through that with an LT4 powered chevy? Any Camaro experience on rennlist?

Thanks in advance. Everything I read says to load up the fuel card, buy 3 spare sets of tires and brakes due to dealing with the weight, but otherwise they are a reliable weapon and do better cooling wise than their corvette counterparts. Also nothing but praise for the Alpha platform.
Old 02-18-2024, 10:46 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,888 Likes on 1,695 Posts

They are popular here at VIR. Never heard anyone complain about them. Good tires, good driver and a few simple mods can get these cars down to 992 GT3 with mods territory.

Here’s a nice lap. Awfully fast for no bar or cage.

https://youtu.be/_TmWCTmlb-4?si=fPAVqSD2GP_Hq2gS

Last edited by ProCoach; 02-18-2024 at 10:49 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Igooz (02-18-2024)
Old 02-18-2024, 10:54 AM
Mike Roblin
Rennlist Member

Received 480 Likes on 300 Posts

A friend of mine had one and his only complaint was the cost of consumables. Everything else about it was awesome.
Igooz (02-18-2024)
Old 02-18-2024, 10:55 AM
ztnedman1
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts

Helmets won't go through the window, technically shouldn't be an issue...but could be very bad in certain situations. Unsure if the LT4 has the LT1 engine failure issues, but they are covered under the track warranty. Nothing will go as fast for as cheap.
Old 02-18-2024, 11:04 AM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 264 Posts

I drive at Mid-Ohio often (advanced run groups) and always see a number of them there, they're always really fast and I can't recall ever seeing one broken.

Last edited by gbuff; 02-18-2024 at 11:08 AM.
Old 02-18-2024, 11:08 AM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 358 Likes on 258 Posts

I've done 3 DE events in a 6gen SS 1LE. It's a fun car and a big change from Porsche's I've driven. There are multiple mode settings and PDR is a nice feature. from reading in the Track supplement book, the ZLE has a bit more maintenance. As I understand it the oil is to be changed to a different spec, and then changed back after tracking. Consumes tires and brakes as expected. I had the GY Supercar 3, the 3Rs on the ZLE would wear faster. You may want to search for the Track supplement if you haven't already. I found some useful info on the Camaro6 forum CAMARO6 - Powered by vBulletin
Old 02-18-2024, 11:41 AM
KNSBrakes
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 132 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Olemiss540
Been deep diving into Chevys for my next track day car. Advanced run group driver with 15years HPDE experience, looking at a car to run 4 or 5 weekends a year. Anyone around here been through that with an LT4 powered chevy? Any Camaro experience on rennlist?

Thanks in advance. Everything I read says to load up the fuel card, buy 3 spare sets of tires and brakes due to dealing with the weight, but otherwise they are a reliable weapon and do better cooling wise than their corvette counterparts. Also nothing but praise for the Alpha platform.
They are pretty fast, pretty reliable, and large and comfortable inside. Plenty of guys around that 2:00 VIR full lap time on a bone stock 1LE.

They all know me and the guy at the tire store by name however

The SS 1LE will probably go almost as fast - or faster. My car - with semi-basic mods and Hoosiers and a good driver turned a 1:57.

They require very little to run which is pretty cool.

knsbrakes.com | Phone: 919-420-0021 | Email: sales@knsbrakes.com
Old 02-18-2024, 12:35 PM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 176 Posts

Do most people put in a bucket seat and rollbar and run harnesses, or just run with the 3-point and stock seats?
Old 02-18-2024, 12:55 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,888 Likes on 1,695 Posts

Originally Posted by paradocs98
Do most people put in a bucket seat and rollbar and run harnesses, or just run with the 3-point and stock seats?
I think most folks who stay with that car, like many, swap out the seats, add at least a bar and proper harnesses, simply because the car develops such forces that they need something better to hold themselves in place!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

paradocs98 (02-18-2024)
Old 02-18-2024, 01:01 PM
KNSBrakes
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ProCoach
I think most folks who stay with that car, like many, swap out the seats, add at least a bar and proper harnesses, simply because the car develops such forces that they need something better to hold themselves in place!
He's right but the stock seats - at least the ones in my 18 SS 1LE - were pretty good. A far cry from what GM put in say my C6 Z06.

Old 02-18-2024, 01:17 PM
tummarabaap
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tracked a 2020 ZL1 1LE 6MT all last season here in Chicago at Autobahn Country Club in Joliet.

All in all it’s an amazing car. One of the best experiences I’ve had on track.

Track camber with super 3r and the car is untouchable. It has unbelievable front end grip. Insane amount of power. I ran the car completely stock.

Consumables are definitely a problem. I did about 10 full track days and went through two sets of tires and pads.
ProCoach (02-18-2024)
Old 02-18-2024, 01:20 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,866 Likes on 4,810 Posts

Upgrade brakes, pads, and fluids.

Then just go and have fun.
Old 02-18-2024, 02:05 PM
Olemiss540
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all of the input! Cross-shopping ZL1 vs ZL1 1LE, the $5k difference has me leaning towards a base ZL1 and then after a year, throwing a set of MCS's on. Looks like even wider front tires can fit on once you go aftermarket coil overs, which sounds absurd.

Definitely would put a rollbar and seats in once we started pushing the car, probably after the first couple of weekends.
Old 02-18-2024, 02:22 PM
KNSBrakes
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Olemiss540
Thanks for all of the input! Cross-shopping ZL1 vs ZL1 1LE, the $5k difference has me leaning towards a base ZL1 and then after a year, throwing a set of MCS's on. Looks like even wider front tires can fit on once you go aftermarket coil overs, which sounds absurd.

Definitely would put a rollbar and seats in once we started pushing the car, probably after the first couple of weekends.
The 1LE deletes the mag ride so it's rough on the street but you get your first set of 3R's with the car (I think?)

If you are street driving - mag ride is great and you can tune it with DSC or even upgrade to DSC coilovers.

Most just add camber plates and I think a rear toe arm, maybe the front sway bar.

If you are buying a new one I'd omit the BCD brakes. More options for the regular brakes and it's only 6mm of rotor diameter.

Old 02-18-2024, 02:30 PM
Olemiss540
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KNSBrakes
The 1LE deletes the mag ride so it's rough on the street but you get your first set of 3R's with the car (I think?)

If you are street driving - mag ride is great and you can tune it with DSC or even upgrade to DSC coilovers.

Most just add camber plates and I think a rear toe arm, maybe the front sway bar.

If you are buying a new one I'd omit the BCD brakes. More options for the regular brakes and it's only 6mm of rotor diameter.
Definitely shopping used, 2017/2018 models. Not much street driving expected, really just a toy for my brother and I to abuse on the track! Thanks for the advice,

Quick Reply: ZL1 - Track day experience?