cayman aero 987.2

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2024, 09:27 AM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts
Default cayman aero 987.2

What are people using these days?
Getting a former interseries car with interseries aero - rear wing seems way under optimized / front aero looks incredibly expensive to run over a berm with.

997 cup front with canards + swan rear wing + flat undertray?
All stuff close to ground I prefer cheaper replacements of vs fancy carbon stuff

Will be running GP1 WRL + other endurance series so on 200tw tires
Old 02-19-2024, 09:39 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,892 Likes on 1,696 Posts

Balance is more important than individual components. It’s been a decade but I remember the CI cars were trying to nail down the front more at aero-effective speeds and not take too big a hit on drag.

It’s a system, an important one with 200 TW tires especially. Good luck!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 02-19-2024, 09:45 AM
nineball
Pro

Received 295 Likes on 205 Posts

i am now only doing DE events but i got a full kit from this site and i am happy (splitter, side skirts, rear diffuser, cup wing, dive planes):

https://demonspeed.com/product-categ...ites-products/
The following users liked this post:
ProCoach (02-19-2024)
Old 02-19-2024, 09:46 AM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

ya - then add rake and spring rates!

want something to start with
Old 02-19-2024, 09:58 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,892 Likes on 1,696 Posts

Originally Posted by nineball
i am now only doing DE events but i got a full kit from this site and i am happy (splitter, side skirts, rear diffuser, cup wing, dive planes):

https://demonspeed.com/product-categ...ites-products/
Ed’s stuff has a good rep!
nineball (02-19-2024)
Old 02-19-2024, 10:35 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 809 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by audipwr1
What are people using these days?
Getting a former interseries car with interseries aero - rear wing seems way under optimized / front aero looks incredibly expensive to run over a berm with.

997 cup front with canards + swan rear wing + flat undertray?
All stuff close to ground I prefer cheaper replacements of vs fancy carbon stuff

Will be running GP1 WRL + other endurance series so on 200tw tires
Most have replaced the front bumper cover with a GT3 bumper. The front lip on those is extremely cheap in comparison to the $1200 Interseries carbon splitter. You want to make sure that you have one radiator fan removed and you can significantly reduce front lift by taping up the side radiators in cooler weather.

You can't put a flat bottom in the rear of a Cayman because of transmission and engine cooling. That also makes a diffuser more of an accent piece. I have removed the underbody panel in front of the gearbox with good results in terms of rear downforce but for longer tracks you want to minimize drag.

Not sure what you mean about the rear wing being under optimized. Practically, you should adjust your aero to a specific track and even the old straight wings were adjustable in terms of incidence. Some ran larger end plates but I have never met anybody that has ever optimized the Cayman aero with accurate measurements because it takes time and effort.

The swan neck wings put a tremendous moment on the rear hatch. If you are running a carbon rear hatch, forget about the swan neck as the carbon hatches can barely deal with the stock upright configuration before they crack.
The following 2 users liked this post by Frank 993 C4S:
Matt Romanowski (02-26-2024), ProCoach (02-19-2024)
Old 02-19-2024, 01:09 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
Most have replaced the front bumper cover with a GT3 bumper. The front lip on those is extremely cheap in comparison to the $1200 Interseries carbon splitter. You want to make sure that you have one radiator fan removed and you can significantly reduce front lift by taping up the side radiators in cooler weather.

You can't put a flat bottom in the rear of a Cayman because of transmission and engine cooling. That also makes a diffuser more of an accent piece. I have removed the underbody panel in front of the gearbox with good results in terms of rear downforce but for longer tracks you want to minimize drag.

Not sure what you mean about the rear wing being under optimized. Practically, you should adjust your aero to a specific track and even the old straight wings were adjustable in terms of incidence. Some ran larger end plates but I have never met anybody that has ever optimized the Cayman aero with accurate measurements because it takes time and effort.

The swan neck wings put a tremendous moment on the rear hatch. If you are running a carbon rear hatch, forget about the swan neck as the carbon hatches can barely deal with the stock upright configuration before they crack.
This is helpful - thank you.

On rear wing - I mean these older designs are great in terms of lift vs drag.

Where are people sourcing replica front cup bumpers from? I imagine you want to fit a 997.2 on it? Front aero looks substantially better than .1?

Last edited by audipwr1; 02-19-2024 at 01:11 PM.
Old 02-19-2024, 02:38 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 809 Likes on 495 Posts

What you will find is that the airfoils are still the same low speed NACA airfoils I have used the twisted 997 GT3RS wing but found no significant difference to the straight wing.

Getty Design is a good source for bumpers, spoilers etc...
Old 02-22-2024, 05:08 PM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 93 Posts

This group looks like they've put the effort into optimizing and balancing the parts.

Current Porsche 987 Offerings | Verus Engineering (verus-engineering.com)
Old 02-26-2024, 09:22 AM
Ed@Demonspeed
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 161 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
What you will find is that the airfoils are still the same low speed NACA airfoils I have used the twisted 997 GT3RS wing but found no significant difference to the straight wing.

Getty Design is a good source for bumpers, spoilers etc...
Unfortunately, it looks like Getty is no more. Many people run the cup wings because they are legal for most groups (limit of what is legal). If you want more/more efficiency, then you can look at our Goodaero wings. We have done that on several Caymans. Unfortunately using the Getty base parts.

Thanks

Ed

https://www.goodaero.com/
Race Designed Aerodynamics

https://racingtirewarmers.com/
Win more races with tire warmers

Great products for racers by racers

ed@demonspeed.com

Demon Speed Motorsports is a proud sponsor of PCA and the Club Racing Program

Old 02-26-2024, 10:10 AM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ed@Demonspeed
Unfortunately, it looks like Getty is no more. Many people run the cup wings because they are legal for most groups (limit of what is legal). If you want more/more efficiency, then you can look at our Goodaero wings. We have done that on several Caymans. Unfortunately using the Getty base parts.

Thanks

Ed
what do you mean getty is no more? That would effectively end club racing everyone uses their body parts
Old 02-26-2024, 01:01 PM
Ed@Demonspeed
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by audipwr1
what do you mean getty is no more? That would effectively end club racing everyone uses their body parts
Website is down. Phones disconnected. Emails don't work.

If someone gets a hold them, let me know. Even if just to see if they want to sell the molds.

Thanks
Ed
Old 02-26-2024, 01:13 PM
Krokodil
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Just clicked through to the website: https://gettydesign.com/ I have not tried the phone or email, however, the folks at Vision Motorsports just texted me that Arnold is still in business.

When racing the 987.2 we ran a custom front splitter, custom fender vents, modified 997RSR rockers, custom full diffuser, and Getty replica GT3R wing. Photos attached:

Last edited by Krokodil; 02-26-2024 at 01:16 PM.
Old 02-26-2024, 01:57 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,283 Likes on 1,715 Posts

Been seeing some posts that Mashaw and Getty r merging? U may want to try Mashaw.

https://www.mashaw.com/
Old 02-26-2024, 02:38 PM
Ed@Demonspeed
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Just got off the phone with Mike. Everything is good with them. False alarm. The website was down for a while, but they got it straightened out.

Thanks

Ed
skeeler (03-21-2024)

Quick Reply: cayman aero 987.2