Driving a true slick to track

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2024, 02:43 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,900 Likes on 1,699 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
You do have a point. In my professional capacity I almost never tell a client they should or shouldn't do anything because different people have different risk tolerances. I explain the risk - I don't decide what they should do with that information.
Bingo. And have them sign a good waiver beforehand.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 02-23-2024, 06:02 PM
dllhg
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To simply clarify, I never said that I was going to do it just looking for actual experience from those who may have. Lots of opinions from people who do not have experience, which I do find quite typical for most forums when asking for facts. I don’t mind opinions as long as they open minded and not rude. Thats what these forums are for imo.

I did ask this exact question to professional drivers I know. Both of them seem to be more concerned with Tire performance and longevity versus safety. 🤷‍♂️. Would certainly be an expensive experiment if they didn’t last as long.
My A7 are still a good 2 seconds faster than any street tire when I drive to the track with them. I lose little under a second from day 1 to the third day. I’m quick but a pro would prob notice it more being closer to the edge. I’m happy I can comfortably run 32s day one and day two at Laguna. Low 33s third day. All with zero drama and not pushing that hard.

I don’t think that these would be any different than the Hoosiers if you hit water. It’s not hard to avoid rain. It’s easy enough to read a radar and satellite map. Anything slightly suspicious and I switch my wheels from the Hoosiers to my CRS . I have about 15 trips to and from Laguna Seca , and have never once been even had a hint of rain. Nice to have options. It is different driving. Constantly having to be aware of any kind of road hazard. Driving slower. Taking turns extra slow to be on the safe side. I would never drive them in near freezing temps. To reiterate I’d never tell anyone it was a good idea. Just what I do and I’m comfortable with it. Pros and cons. Someone screws it’s up and it could end badly. Like getting caught in rain because they weren’t being conservative enough about when to run them.

it’s just a thought. I have two weeks to figure it out. I can still get the storage unit 7 miles from track. It’s just be a pita to have to deal with first thing on a track day. I’m getting old. 🤔

Last edited by dllhg; 02-23-2024 at 06:07 PM.
Old 02-23-2024, 06:10 PM
dllhg
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn’t have even been looking at dumb slicks if my buddy hadn’t switched over to them and beat me by an amazing 2/10th of a second ! He LOVED them and did make me want to try them. Goal for the season is a 1:29.9. 🤞. In my comfort zone I might add.

Last edited by dllhg; 02-23-2024 at 06:11 PM.
Old 02-23-2024, 07:25 PM
nineball
Pro

Received 297 Likes on 205 Posts

since you are (potentially) willing to spend the money on a storage unit why not consider an alternative? you can get a roof rack and easily make a place to mount your slicks when driving to the track. another alternative would be to get a hidden hitch installed and tow a little track day trailer (there are some for sale in the classifieds) with your wheels, tools, chair and anything else needed for a weekend at the track. in the long run either would be cheaper than a recurring storage facility fee.
Old 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 3,492 Likes on 2,014 Posts

Another option that may be available which is that some indies attend the local track events and are willing to store and transport your track wheels to the track for a fee. You drive to the event on 100 or 200 tires as a backup. Your indy puts on your track wheels and you are golden. Did this for years.

Problem is when they don't attend an event yiu gotta go to 100s or 200s. In my case, I never considered driving to the track on a set of Hoosiers because of chewing them up to quickly. They don't last very long. Sure, weather is a consideration as well. But I have thought about it many times when my lap times suffered while running 200s.
Old 02-26-2024, 06:56 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by dllhg
I wouldn’t have even been looking at dumb slicks if my buddy hadn’t switched over to them and beat me by an amazing 2/10th of a second ! He LOVED them and did make me want to try them. Goal for the season is a 1:29.9. 🤞. In my comfort zone I might add.
I honestly think he must have been driving Flat Out to "beat [you] by an amazing 2/10s of a second", nothing to do with slicks. What would amaze me (if this wasn't Rennlist) is this thread has gone on for 3 pages....
Old 02-26-2024, 07:37 AM
ldamelio
Rennlist Member

Received 901 Likes on 484 Posts

Please don't discourage OP.

I made a good living as a trauma surgeon from this kind of logic.

Can't believe this thread has reached 3 pages after hard 'NO' from ProCoach and others.

Last edited by ldamelio; 02-26-2024 at 08:00 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ldamelio:
LuigiVampa (02-26-2024), nineball (02-26-2024)
Old 02-26-2024, 09:37 AM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 358 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by dllhg
To simply clarify, I never said that I was going to do it just looking for actual experience from those who may have. Lots of opinions from people who do not have experience, which I do find quite typical for most forums when asking for facts. I don’t mind opinions as long as they open minded and not rude. Thats what these forums are for imo.

I did ask this exact question to professional drivers I know. Both of them seem to be more concerned with Tire performance and longevity versus safety. 🤷‍♂️. Would certainly be an expensive experiment if they didn’t last as long.
My A7 are still a good 2 seconds faster than any street tire when I drive to the track with them. I lose little under a second from day 1 to the third day. I’m quick but a pro would prob notice it more being closer to the edge. I’m happy I can comfortably run 32s day one and day two at Laguna. Low 33s third day. All with zero drama and not pushing that hard.

I don’t think that these would be any different than the Hoosiers if you hit water. It’s not hard to avoid rain. It’s easy enough to read a radar and satellite map. Anything slightly suspicious and I switch my wheels from the Hoosiers to my CRS . I have about 15 trips to and from Laguna Seca , and have never once been even had a hint of rain. Nice to have options. It is different driving. Constantly having to be aware of any kind of road hazard. Driving slower. Taking turns extra slow to be on the safe side. I would never drive them in near freezing temps. To reiterate I’d never tell anyone it was a good idea. Just what I do and I’m comfortable with it. Pros and cons. Someone screws it’s up and it could end badly. Like getting caught in rain because they weren’t being conservative enough about when to run them.

it’s just a thought. I have two weeks to figure it out. I can still get the storage unit 7 miles from track. It’s just be a pita to have to deal with first thing on a track day. I’m getting old. 🤔
You asked for experience doing this and clearly there is not much, if any among RL. I offered my experience of damaging 2 slicks just driving on surface roads inside a track area. Here's a photo of the one that failed at speed in T2 COTA. Whatever you decide, best of luck.

Old 02-26-2024, 09:51 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,388 Likes on 1,626 Posts

Originally Posted by ldamelio

Can't believe this thread has reached 3 pages after hard 'NO' from ProCoach and others.
We also need organ donors!
Old 02-26-2024, 10:06 AM
ldamelio
Rennlist Member

Received 901 Likes on 484 Posts

We also need organ donors!
Yep. The transplant guys have to make their nut also
Old 02-26-2024, 10:06 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,459 Likes on 1,012 Posts

Lawyers, Surgeons, and Organ Donors.

OP, what could possibly go wrong….
Old 02-26-2024, 11:09 AM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by ldamelio

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
Old 02-26-2024, 12:02 PM
Nowanker
Burning Brakes

Location: Formerly the DPRK, now seeking political asylum in Oregon
Received 387 Likes on 252 Posts

It took awhile.
But I knew the torches and pitchforks would be out eventually.
Old 02-26-2024, 12:41 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,388 Likes on 1,626 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowanker
It took awhile.
But I knew the torches and pitchforks would be out eventually.
You need a helmet when you drive on track and also if you ask a question on RL.
The following users liked this post:
nineball (02-26-2024)
Old 02-26-2024, 12:45 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,459 Likes on 1,012 Posts

You need a helmet when you drive on track and also if you ask a question on RL.
Wait, what? Need a helmet to post here? I don't get it....

Also, can you recommend a good motor oil for track use?

Quick Reply: Driving a true slick to track