Sponsored by:

Driving a true slick to track

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2024, 11:31 PM
dllhg
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Driving a true slick to track

I’m curious what if any experience members have or have heard with driving a real racing slick to the track. I’m getting some Yoko mediums for a march 10 date at Laguna. Found one thread on another forum where someone drove them 100 miles to Thunderhill back and forth a few times and said there was zero drama and they performed amazing. I’m aware they aren’t “legal” and have to be very careful with any kind of dampness or hazards.

I have driven five sets of A7s to and from Laguna Seca which is 54 miles from my house without any issues. Crazy fast tire. Get a solid three days out of them without terrible drop off.

Another option is to get storage 7 miles from the track but hassle to have to swap wheels morning of a track day. I really like to just drive to the track with what I need.

thanks.

Last edited by dllhg; 02-21-2024 at 11:32 PM.
Old 02-22-2024, 01:12 AM
Ximian
Track Day

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm on the opposite end where I do bring as many spare parts as I can fit. During a multi-day event, I do get lazy and do the 10 minute drive back to the hotel on Pirelli DH slicks. Last October in northern Minnesota, it was in the mid-30s and damp with puddles in the morning, but it was no big deal.

If it's a multi-hour drive and I'm driving back home a few days later, I'm not taking a chance and hoping the weather forecast remains free of storms. In that case, the street wheel set with tires capable of handling rain and enough tread to handle standing water is coming with me. I learned my lesson in 2020 driving through this storm with worn PS4S tires even though the forecast the morning of looked like it was perfectly clear all day - https://www.weather.gov/mpx/August_1..._Weather_Event ("Preliminary results indicated that over 20 tornadoes occurred in Minnesota with 16 in the NWS Twin Cities forecast area. 3 of the 16 tornadoes were of EF-1 strength.")
Old 02-22-2024, 07:00 AM
Trj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Always a chance of damage to the tire is the only issue.....

Last edited by Trj; 02-22-2024 at 07:01 AM.
The following users liked this post:
924RACR (02-22-2024)
Old 02-22-2024, 08:35 AM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 86 Posts

Or a chance of rain. I drove slicks to a track about an hour away and got caught in a lite shower - on I-95 . Everything was okay but I did have to seriously focus on the drive for about 10 minutes, avoiding puddles and ruts.
Old 02-22-2024, 09:15 AM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Received 269 Likes on 173 Posts

Yeah I wouldn't. Especially 100 miles each way. Slicks are not durable the way street tires are to road debris. I'd also worry about potholes damaging the carcass, something you might not realize until the tire fails on track. And +1 re: rain.
The following 2 users liked this post by stownsen914:
MetroNYHPDE (02-25-2024), Tedster (02-26-2024)
Old 02-22-2024, 11:24 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 718 Likes on 417 Posts

Paging the lawyers about driving a non DOT tire on public roads and being involved in a wreck. Nope not worth it to me.

Peter
Old 02-22-2024, 12:06 PM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I drove soft DOT track tires to the track a couple times, pre-trailer. These were 3-hr drives to VIR. Once I got caught in heavy rain on the way down and steady rain on the way back. It was no fun fearing hydroplaning off the road repeatedly in the downpours. Also, needing to slow to 35-mph at times, when everyone else is approaching you at 55-60, is unnerving. The other occasion, when I left the track, I found the State was graveling the road that day, and doing a poor job. Sharp gravel & tar on soft tires is not good. I had so many deep gouges/cuts on the tires, that I had to trash them. As I recall, it was their first weekend and I could have gotten a few more out of them, so not happy.
Old 02-22-2024, 12:42 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 358 Likes on 258 Posts

I'd say the weather conditions are somewhat more manageable, as you can watch the forecasts and pull off if you have to. Risk of damage is harder to mitigate. A few years ago at COTA we had to grid somewhat remote from track entrance and drive on the roads inside the track (Lot A through the roundabout). I cut 2 tires that weekend and one failed at speed on track. I wouldn't drive a slick on the road.
Old 02-22-2024, 12:54 PM
nineball
Pro

Received 297 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Trj
Always a chance of damage to the tire is the only issue.....
exactly. i run nitto nt02 tires which are technically a street legal r compound with 2 little grooves in the tread but they advise against driving in under 40 degree weather. i was making the hour drive out to drop off my car for the semi to take it to daytona. got off the freeway at the exit and the car felt funny. got out and found a nail in the middle of the tread on one of my brand new tires. had to call a tow, wait for it, tow it to the shop, get a ride back home, driver 75 miles each way to the nearest place that had the tire in stock, buy it and deliver back it to the shop my car was at waiting for the ride and almost didn't get to go on the trip.

moral of the story - i will never again drive on the street on track tires. they cost too much and are too susceptible to damage vs a street tire.
Old 02-22-2024, 01:12 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,441 Likes on 772 Posts

Don't do it.
MetroNYHPDE (02-25-2024)
Old 02-22-2024, 01:34 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,388 Likes on 1,626 Posts

1. You're wasting money because you are adding miles and heat cycles to a tire designed for track use.
2. You'll get a ticket if a cop pulls you over.
3. If you get caught in a rainstorm you might have a bad day.

Out of laziness I have kept Hoosier R7s on my 944 and have experienced all of the above. At least the R7 is a DOT compound, but it still is not a good tire to drive around town with.
GC996 (02-23-2024)
Old 02-22-2024, 04:00 PM
dllhg
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
1. You're wasting money because you are adding miles and heat cycles to a tire designed for track use.
2. You'll get a ticket if a cop pulls you over.
3. If you get caught in a rainstorm you might have a bad day.

Out of laziness I have kept Hoosier R7s on my 944 and have experienced all of the above. At least the R7 is a DOT compound, but it still is not a good tire to drive around town with.
Rain is easy enough to avoid just have to err on side of caution. I have two sets of wheels so I Just toss CRS on of there is any chance.

I found out that Yokohama says tires have to get to 80% ideal temp range to be a heat cycle. I don’t think a 50 mile drive at 65 mph in 65 degree weather would get them there. Or any ambient temp really. I have run my A7 both driven to track and once installed at track by the tire guy. I didn’t notice any difference 🤷‍♂️. Second day on the A7 I don’t notice any real drop off and don’t see it on my times. Third day I’m little
under Second off pace. That being said. Im def not maxing them out. A pro would notice the difference. I’m within a few percent of them on my car but that’s pretty big.

Last edited by dllhg; 02-22-2024 at 04:02 PM.
Old 02-22-2024, 05:17 PM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by dllhg
Rain is easy enough to avoid just have to err on side of caution. I have two sets of wheels so I Just toss CRS on of there is any chance.
RIGHT.., because weather forecasting is now 100% accurate. Weather is sneaky! Some tracks, like VIR, Watkins Glen, Road America & Sebring are all large enough, and known for having rain at one end of the track, while being completely dry at the other. Those are still a relatively small eco-climates, compared to a 50-100+ mile journey. Err on the side of caution and just don't do it.
Old 02-22-2024, 07:04 PM
nineball
Pro

Received 297 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by dllhg

I found out that Yokohama says tires have to get to 80% ideal temp range to be a heat cycle. I don’t think a 50 mile drive at 65 mph in 65 degree weather would get them there. Or any ambient temp really. I have run my A7 both driven to track and once installed at track by the tire guy. I didn’t notice any difference 🤷‍♂️. Second day on the A7 I don’t notice any real drop off and don’t see it on my times. Third day I’m little
under Second off pace. That being said. Im def not maxing them out. A pro would notice the difference. I’m within a few percent of them on my car but that’s pretty big.

everyone who has responded said don't do it but based on this post it seems pointless to continue on this conversation. in the end it's your money and (potentially) your life. do as you see fit.
Old 02-22-2024, 07:25 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,900 Likes on 1,699 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Don't do it.
+1,000

And this is from someone who did it when they were young and dumb. (not VR, me).

Fabric belts, no sipes, soft sidewalls, just not robust enough for any sort of road hazard.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Last edited by ProCoach; 02-22-2024 at 07:27 PM.
thebishman (02-23-2024)

Quick Reply: Driving a true slick to track