Sponsored by:

Tracking car with suspension fault and without sport mode

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2024, 10:51 AM
Jim Cobb
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Tracking car with suspension fault and without sport mode

I have been driven nuts by a suspension fault that had been coming and going but now doesn’t want to go. I have big $$$ invested in a 3 day DE starting on April 12. I’m curious if anyone has driven on track with this fault showing and how the car’s handling might have been affected, including under hard braking. Since this fault cancels sport mode, I’m also curious about anyone accustomed to the auto throttle blip had to adjust their driving. Many thanks.
Old 03-25-2024, 12:25 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 809 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Cobb
I have been driven nuts by a suspension fault that had been coming and going but now doesn’t want to go. I have big $$$ invested in a 3 day DE starting on April 12. I’m curious if anyone has driven on track with this fault showing and how the car’s handling might have been affected, including under hard braking. Since this fault cancels sport mode, I’m also curious about anyone accustomed to the auto throttle blip had to adjust their driving. Many thanks.
Why would you ever take the risk running a street car with any suspension related fault indication on track? Go to a shop and have the specific fault code evaluated and the root cause identified.
The following 3 users liked this post by Frank 993 C4S:
dan212 (03-26-2024), Jon D (03-29-2024), ldamelio (03-27-2024)
Old 03-25-2024, 12:39 PM
amurph182
Instructor

Received 110 Likes on 55 Posts

As someone who just totaled their car and is incredibly lucky to not be seriously injured because of a mechanical failure on SOMEONE ELSE’s car, please don’t take your car on the track if it has problems. Especially problems of the “I have no idea how the car will respond” variety.
The following 2 users liked this post by amurph182:
ldamelio (03-27-2024), Rig.Stunts (03-27-2024)
Old 03-25-2024, 12:48 PM
Jim Cobb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
Why would you ever take the risk running a street car with any suspension related fault indication on track? Go to a shop and have the specific fault code evaluated and the root cause identified.
I have had it evaluated more times than I can count, at the investment of several grand, and every evaluation has been wrong thus far. I am planning to take it to a dealer service department before the DE, fwiw, but I asked the question in case I couldn't get it fixed in time. I also asked knowing that tracking it would be less than ideal, but I am prepared to do it rather than miss another event that I am already in hock for. IMO, the GT4 is more of a track than "street car" and mine is set up for the track, but you are free to think what you will, of course.
Old 03-25-2024, 12:48 PM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 93 Posts

I go to the track to have fun and hopefully improve my performance. I don't know how I'd do either if I was worried about this kind of issue. My confidence in the car would be low and I'd be concerned about impacting other drivers around me. Get the car to a qualified shop to follow Frank's advice.
The following users liked this post:
ldamelio (03-27-2024)
Old 03-25-2024, 12:52 PM
Jim Cobb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by amurph182
As someone who just totaled their car and is incredibly lucky to not be seriously injured because of a mechanical failure on SOMEONE ELSE’s car, please don’t take your car on the track if it has problems. Especially problems of the “I have no idea how the car will respond” variety.
I asked the question in the first place because I wanted to get a sense of what the consequences of driving on the track might be. If I have the slightest reason to think I might be jeopardizing someone else, I won’t be out there.
Old 03-25-2024, 01:02 PM
amurph182
Instructor

Received 110 Likes on 55 Posts

I asked the question in the first place because I wanted to get a sense of what the consequences of driving on the track might be. If I have the slightest reason to think I might be jeopardizing someone else, I won’t be out there.
with respect (seriously) I don’t think most people who end up being “the problem car” on track ever had any intention of doing so.

what is the fault?
The following users liked this post:
ldamelio (03-27-2024)
Old 03-25-2024, 01:16 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 809 Likes on 495 Posts

I can give you an example. At the NJMP PCA Club Race in 2023 I ended up with a (wheel speed sensor) fault, that did not allow me to put the car into Sport+ mode. Unbeknownst to me, this also resulted in an ABS fault that caused me to flat spot two front tires in the warmup lap - I immediately returned to the paddock without completing the lap. If I would have continued, I would have probably crashed the car at the start of the race in Turn 1, due to non-availability of the ABS. Just an example.....

To resolve the issue, we changed the wheel speed sensor as indicated by the fault code and the wheel bearing for that wheel, but it turned out to be a faulty wiring harness.
Old 03-25-2024, 02:31 PM
kisik
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

In engineering we always say: "Don't leave anything unexplained. It will bite you later". I think it applies here as well. Share with the community what might be the problem or symptoms and you will be surprised with answers. Perhaps it will help to point you in the right direction and understand the problem.
The following 2 users liked this post by kisik:
dan212 (03-26-2024), ldamelio (03-28-2024)
Old 03-25-2024, 02:54 PM
Jim Cobb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kisik
In engineering we always say: "Don't leave anything unexplained. It will bite you later". I think it applies here as well. Share with the community what might be the problem or symptoms and you will be surprised with answers. Perhaps it will help to point you in the right direction and understand the problem.
I hesitated to do this because I have already been on here whining about it a lot of late. But here goes. I have had the above problem, (Fault Code 00133, open circuit at left front shock absorber or stuck valve) for a number of months now. I have replaced the shock to no avail, and we have checked the wiring harness connected to the base of the strut. Historically, the problem has popped up on cold mornings but gone away after driving for 15 mins or so. After it came on and wouldn’t go away, I stuck a light bulb in close to the pasm controller and left it there a few hours. The fault disappeared and stayed away for two weeks regardless of the temps, only to show up again Saturday afternoon, when it was not cool at all. Now, after sticking the bulb back in there for several hours, it has gone away again, temporarlily at least. This makes me suspect the pasm unit, and I plan to have a dealer service department check it out as soon as I can make arrangements to get there. As I said elsewhere, I was trying to get feedback on whether it could be tracked safely from someone who has done it, just in case I can’t get it fixed in time. Thanks for your interest.

Last edited by Jim Cobb; 03-25-2024 at 04:03 PM.
Old 03-25-2024, 03:00 PM
Jim Cobb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
I can give you an example. At the NJMP PCA Club Race in 2023 I ended up with a (wheel speed sensor) fault, that did not allow me to put the car into Sport+ mode. Unbeknownst to me, this also resulted in an ABS fault that caused me to flat spot two front tires in the warmup lap - I immediately returned to the paddock without completing the lap. If I would have continued, I would have probably crashed the car at the start of the race in Turn 1, due to non-availability of the ABS. Just an example.....

To resolve the issue, we changed the wheel speed sensor as indicated by the fault code and the wheel bearing for that wheel, but it turned out to be a faulty wiring harness.
I suspect the pasm controller first, the wiring harness second in my case. I know the ABS and front suspension are served by the same wiring harness, but never hear of the faults being connected. I have have already tried hard braking at relatively high speed and haven’t detected a problem so far.
Old 03-25-2024, 04:27 PM
ANGST
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 90 Posts

I know running short on time , but with so many DSC controllers out there, maybe someone on Rennlist has a spare stock PASM unit they never intend to use again. ? Do you have a 981 GT4 ? or a 718 GT4 ?
Old 03-25-2024, 04:35 PM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Received 451 Likes on 334 Posts

Agree it sounds like a PASM controller issue. Suggest taking it to a shop or the dealer with a PIWIS and have them check the system when the car is cold. With the fault how many other systems are effected? Sounds like the car defaults to "Normal" and a softer shock setting. Suspect PADM is also disable to normal. I'd find out how quickly you can get a new PASM controller. I'd think a dealer would replace and easily take it back if it wasn't the real problem. Whether the car is safe to drive at a DE with its known fault is a hard question. The cars handling and your shifting will definitely be effected.
Old 03-25-2024, 05:28 PM
Jim Cobb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ANGST
I know running short on time , but with so many DSC controllers out there, maybe someone on Rennlist has a spare stock PASM unit they never intend to use again. ? Do you have a 981 GT4 ? or a 718 GT4 ?
Thanks for the suggestion. It’s a 981. That would be great. Honestly, if I knew for sure that controller was the problem I’d try to find a DSC for myself.

Old 03-25-2024, 05:37 PM
Jim Cobb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kitc2246
Agree it sounds like a PASM controller issue. Suggest taking it to a shop or the dealer with a PIWIS and have them check the system when the car is cold. With the fault how many other systems are effected? Sounds like the car defaults to "Normal" and a softer shock setting. Suspect PADM is also disable to normal. I'd find out how quickly you can get a new PASM controller. I'd think a dealer would replace and easily take it back if it wasn't the real problem. Whether the car is safe to drive at a DE with its known fault is a hard question. The cars handling and your shifting will definitely be effected.
Going to the dealer is my plan. It’s 90 miles away, so I will have to make arrangements for a ride home unless they have one in stock. The most obvious effect of the fault for me would be losing the auto blip since sport mode would be disabled. Under spirited driving at least, I can’t tell that the handling is affected, but the ride is definitely rougher.

Quick Reply: Tracking car with suspension fault and without sport mode