Sponsored by:

Garmin Woes... Again...

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2024, 04:52 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Garmin Woes... Again...

It's been a while since I've checked, and this is partially on me because the folks that previously built this car didn't brace the lexan windshield and I should have resolved it before the weekend... but... Is there any OTHER mounting solution for the camera in the last year or two I may have missed? Really unhappy with how the camera moves on its own and how it also will "drop" signal on the cable under aggressive curbing. I haven't even transfered any of the video because is looks so poor on race 1 from VIR last weekend and race 2 the video signal dropped before I got out of the pits.

Mike
Old 03-25-2024, 06:14 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikelly
It's been a while since I've checked, and this is partially on me because the folks that previously built this car didn't brace the lexan windshield and I should have resolved it before the weekend... but... Is there any OTHER mounting solution for the camera in the last year or two I may have missed? Really unhappy with how the camera moves on its own and how it also will "drop" signal on the cable under aggressive curbing. I haven't even transfered any of the video because is looks so poor on race 1 from VIR last weekend and race 2 the video signal dropped before I got out of the pits.

Mike
that's amazing because I'm a real idiot and my garmin works great! Can you mount camera on cage where you normally put a mirror? Then support wire to camera with zip tie about 6" from camera. If you have the entire mass of cable pulling itself out the camera you going to have issues.
Old 03-25-2024, 06:29 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

The camera cable is actually supported and only has about 4 inches of "slack" that just hangs. I may have to tape it. The camera mount and lexan is a known issue. Lexan, not being as ridged as glass, will flex and cause issues. This unit may end up with my kid who is taking over the SP1 car. I may move to something newer... Dunno. The mounting on a cage with the existing double stickie is a concern. Really wish there were a real cage mount and something more solid instead of the goofy ball mount. Not sure how you're using yours, but I'm hitting T16 gator at VIR and getting the driver's side of the car off the tarmac. That tends to make the garmin camera not happy. NOOOOT happy.

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
that's amazing because I'm a real idiot and my garmin works great! Can you mount camera on cage where you normally put a mirror? Then support wire to camera with zip tie about 6" from camera. If you have the entire mass of cable pulling itself out the camera you going to have issues.
Old 03-25-2024, 07:19 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,892 Likes on 1,696 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikelly
The camera cable is actually supported and only has about 4 inches of "slack" that just hangs. I may have to tape it. The camera mount and lexan is a known issue. Lexan, not being as ridged as glass, will flex and cause issues. This unit may end up with my kid who is taking over the SP1 car. I may move to something newer... Dunno. The mounting on a cage with the existing double stickie is a concern. Really wish there were a real cage mount and something more solid instead of the goofy ball mount. Not sure how you're using yours, but I'm hitting T16 gator at VIR and getting the driver's side of the car off the tarmac. That tends to make the garmin camera not happy. NOOOOT happy.
Mike, I am pulling 2.1g sustained in my sports racing car in T16B (the first right in Hog Pen) and not losing the camera.

I think it's a mounting issue, a cable issue and cleanliness of the mag base contacts issue. Reach out to Garmin.

I use RAM B-ball mounting metal to metal and the Garmin cage mount. Works great.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 03-25-2024, 07:49 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Peter, This isnt an issue with the Garmin unit itself, as it is in a cage mount that is bolted to the trans tunnel.

I will see if I can come up with a better mount solitiin for the camera and swap out the cable/clean the electrical connections.

mike

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Mike, I am pulling 2.1g sustained in my sports racing car in T16B (the first right in Hog Pen) and not losing the camera.

I think it's a mounting issue, a cable issue and cleanliness of the mag base contacts issue. Reach out to Garmin.

I use RAM B-ball mounting metal to metal and the Garmin cage mount. Works great.

Last edited by Mikelly; 03-25-2024 at 07:54 PM.
Old 03-25-2024, 08:55 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,892 Likes on 1,696 Posts

I’ve had more trouble with the camera cables and voltage supply than anything else.
Old 03-26-2024, 04:08 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ProCoach
I’ve had more trouble with the camera cables and voltage supply than anything else.
Based on what I'm experiencing, this makes sense. I'll dump the cable and use some electrical parts cleaner on the USB ports.

Mike
Old 04-09-2024, 04:49 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

I think I have a solution for the camera issue.

Quick Reply: Garmin Woes... Again...