Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why are numbers for racing LOWER??

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2024, 09:44 AM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 94 Posts

Funny - the Zone 2 club race chair just sent an email to everyone that raced in 2023 at VIR but didn't race this year asking them why they're not racing. I just copied the link to this thread and sent it back.Haha.

I'm kind of a cyclical racer and race the larger east coast stuff for 2-3 years then take a break. For me the juice has to be worth the squeeze. I feel like with PCA I've kinda "been there and done that".

Lastly, too many people racing fast cars in PCA have horrible situational awareness. It's dangerous. I've made a few brainless blunders but not many. But I've seen some folks make several per lap. No consequences.
The following 3 users liked this post by RSRRacer:
Carrera51 (04-15-2024), M13S (04-16-2024), ProCoach (04-12-2024)
Old 04-12-2024, 10:00 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,892 Likes on 1,696 Posts

Yeah. I have been at VIR all week working and it’s shocking the number of past or current PCA Club racers and lurkers who have regaled me with reasons why the numbers are going down. It’s not for lack of passion, it’s just that the experience is negative.

Additionally, almost everyone mentioned that entrenched leadership and many officials are not interested in soliciting opinion, interested in self examination or changing their current policies, procedures and their way of doing business. An additional, frequent observation is that that stubbornness has grown notably over the last few years.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

The following 6 users liked this post by ProCoach:
9114609048 (04-12-2024), LuigiVampa (04-12-2024), mlct (04-12-2024), Nizer (04-12-2024), RobT 394 (04-12-2024), tgsmith4845 (04-12-2024) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-12-2024, 11:12 AM
tgsmith4845
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 114 Posts

According to articles I’ve read in the last few PCA Club Racer magazines, there’s nothing wrong. Maybe it’s just us? 🙂
The following users liked this post:
LuigiVampa (04-12-2024)
Old 04-12-2024, 11:28 AM
Steve113
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 145 Posts

Economy/inflation and the fact that parts are so expensive compounds it.
LuigiVampa (04-12-2024)
Old 04-12-2024, 11:53 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by RSRRacer

I'm kind of a cyclical racer and race the larger east coast stuff for 2-3 years then take a break. For me the juice has to be worth the squeeze. I feel like with PCA I've kinda "been there and done that".

Lastly, too many people racing fast cars in PCA have horrible situational awareness. It's dangerous. I've made a few brainless blunders but not many. But I've seen some folks make several per lap. No consequences.
^^^^ This not exclusive to PCA
M13S (04-16-2024)
Old 04-12-2024, 12:09 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,383 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Funny - the Zone 2 club race chair just sent an email to everyone that raced in 2023 at VIR but didn't race this year asking them why they're not racing. I just copied the link to this thread and sent it back.Haha.

I met the Zone 2 rep at the VIR race and he is someone seeking a solution. He was walking the paddock and speaking with drivers to understand why we thought the numbers were down.

Its not a big mystery - we are a member organization, and if the members are unhappy, you ask them why and try to make as many changes as you can. The paddock is full of opinionated people, and while PCA can't make everyone happy, asking the questions with the willingness to change is the solution.

I think the problem is that we are not sure PCA has a willingness to change.
Old 04-12-2024, 01:14 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
I met the Zone 2 rep at the VIR race and he is someone seeking a solution. He was walking the paddock and speaking with drivers to understand why we thought the numbers were down.

Its not a big mystery - we are a member organization, and if the members are unhappy, you ask them why and try to make as many changes as you can. The paddock is full of opinionated people, and while PCA can't make everyone happy, asking the questions with the willingness to change is the solution.

I think the problem is that we are not sure PCA has a willingness to change.
But aren't the real answers from the guys who have left? The guys in the paddock are still playing the game.
RSRRacer (04-12-2024)
Old 04-12-2024, 01:50 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
But aren't the real answers from the guys who have left? The guys in the paddock are still playing the game.
It is a fair point, but I don't think it is all peaches and cream with the current racers either. Since we haven't left we can still be "saved".

We have to acknowledge that we all have a certain degree of myopia when it comes to PCA. There are supposedly 160,000 PCA members and out of that how many are active club racers? Are we even 1% of PCA? Other organizations are strictly about racing - PCA is not.

Even if you count HPDE and AutoX as related to the racing component you still have all those other parts of PCA like concours, coffee runs, and all the other people who just want to rub their Porsches with a diaper and brag how they got it up to 75mph that morning on the highway. Sometimes I think it is funny that PCA cares about the racers at all and perhaps that is part of the problem.

PCA leadership is aware of this thread, so hopefully they are taking note. They see the numbers going down and they are hearing many of us express dissatisfaction. I hope they realize that all motorsports components of PCA are sinking fast, and without a change of direction, it won't be long before the club is exclusively comprised of the diaper rubbers, and that would be a sad day.
The following 3 users liked this post by LuigiVampa:
fatbillybob (04-12-2024), mlct (04-12-2024), ProCoach (04-12-2024)
Old 04-12-2024, 01:54 PM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
It is a fair point, but I don't think it is all peaches and cream with the current racers either. Since we haven't left we can still be "saved".

We have to acknowledge that we all have a certain degree of myopia when it comes to PCA. There are supposedly 160,000 PCA members and out of that how many are active club racers? Are we even 1% of PCA? Other organizations are strictly about racing - PCA is not.

Even if you count HPDE and AutoX as related to the racing component you still have all those other parts of PCA like concours, coffee runs, and all the other people who just want to rub their Porsches with a diaper and brag how they got it up to 75mph that morning on the highway. Sometimes I think it is funny that PCA cares about the racers at all and perhaps that is part of the problem.

PCA leadership is aware of this thread, so hopefully they are taking note. They see the numbers going down and they are hearing many of us express dissatisfaction. I hope they realize that all motorsports components of PCA are sinking fast, and without a change of direction, it won't be long before the club is exclusively comprised of the diaper rubbers, and that would be a sad day.
If on the other hand they are looking for diaper changers, they accomplished that by allowing too many unaware drivers to continue to compete just because by some miracle they don't wad it up.
Old 04-12-2024, 02:03 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

If on the other hand they are looking for diaper changers, they accomplished that by allowing too many unaware drivers to continue to compete just because by some miracle they don't wad it up.
Diaper RUBBERS. as in the sit around polishing their Porsche all day with a diaper. But point taken.
Old 04-12-2024, 02:33 PM
FilthyF14
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 12 Posts

Zone 2 Rep and VIR Club Race Chair here. I appreciate the comments on this forum and the email feedback I've received - it's all helpful. I'm a retired DE guy but not a club racer (one Chump race in my resume but we finished P4!). The reality from a chair position is that the VIR race has made money every year until 2024. Sometimes not a lot but enough to pay the deposits for the next year. It's a huge bet to sign the track contract and commit to hosting a $110K plus event and then keep your fingers crossed that racers show up. Both Sebring and VIR were down about 25% this year.

Changes we're looking at for 2025 include only 2 race groups and adding a second DE group to fill out four run groups. That would work for the 103 cars we had this year. May help with the DE to CR transitioned mentioned in this thread. Expect the SAT dinner to be an optional fee. A driver dinner has always been included in the registration fee but most of you don't show up. 80 of the 100 racers checked the "dinner" box in registration but only 40 showed up. Wasted money - and food. I think the trophies are important - at least to the guys that win them. I've given the 1st place trophy to the same driver every year and it seems he likes picking it up. PCA gives us a stipend to cover part of the trophy cost.

Lastly, sponsors for VIR have been a big challenge. We had one this year. Long story, but Zone 2 won't be hosting VIR in 2025 and still talking to Regions interested in taking over. They should be better suited to find sponsors.

Thanks for the feedback and hope to see you at VIR next year!
The following 5 users liked this post by FilthyF14:
Carrera51 (04-15-2024), LuigiVampa (04-12-2024), Mikelly (04-12-2024), mlct (04-12-2024), Veloce Raptor (04-12-2024)
Old 04-12-2024, 03:46 PM
GlenL
Nordschleife Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by chartersb
There are more racers racing in more events at more tracks with more sanctioning orgs than ever. There are fewer PCA licensed racers than ever at the same time that there are more people racing Porsches in other orgs. There a number of things PCA Club Racing National can do to help change the decling participation and interest in PCA Club Racing:
Make it easier, simpler for non-PCA licensed racers from other orgs to race with PCA:
* If they have an active license with recent race experience, grant them a provisional license.
* If they have an active license from an org that requires a signed medical, accept that approval as part of their license and issue a PCA provisional license.
* If they are licensed from an org that is "13/13" based race org and culture, don't make them go to the rookie orientation meeting the day before the PCA event
* Consolidate the 40 plus PCA CR classes into a much smaller number, each that accepts a broader range of cars (see WRL or AER)
* Actively reach out and promote PCA CR to racers in other orgs. PCA CR is the best sprint racing (a 90 min "Enduro" is just a long stint) for the money
Grow from within:
* Actively promote CR to all PCA members, not just current license holders
*Create an obvious path from DE to CR for potential racers
*Establish a PCA CR School program
This is a great list of proactive actions. Let me add a couple more:
* As part of a CR school, have a sign-off that the drivers are capable and responsible. (The existing sign-off letter is not valuable.)
* Open the CR school to DE drivers who do not yet have race cars
* Enforce discipline after contact incidents
* Promote lower-cost classes for new racers and less intense racers

I gotta add that the cars and operations of many racers can be intimidating for newbies. Do you need a 6-figure car and a 5-figure weekend budget to race with PCA? There is a wide variation in vehicles and atmosphere between races but if potential new racers think "PCA is not for me" they may never join up.

Old 04-12-2024, 04:46 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GlenL
This is a great list of proactive actions. Let me add a couple more:
* As part of a CR school, have a sign-off that the drivers are capable and responsible. (The existing sign-off letter is not valuable.)
* Open the CR school to DE drivers who do not yet have race cars
* Enforce discipline after contact incidents
* Promote lower-cost classes for new racers and less intense racers

I gotta add that the cars and operations of many racers can be intimidating for newbies. Do you need a 6-figure car and a 5-figure weekend budget to race with PCA? There is a wide variation in vehicles and atmosphere between races but if potential new racers think "PCA is not for me" they may never join up.
PCA CR school is a few hours of class time before a club race. Although I took the class ten years ago at that point it was hyper focused on clean racing and "who has the corner". That being said, there was no on track evaluation afterwards. I think you have to complete 4 races without incident before being awarded a race license. Its not "did you do a good job" but instead "did you screw up". No one is graded on their driving skills.

Being a white run group driver, and having your region's chief instructor sign off on your race license application, is what enables you to attend race school, but I have never heard of someone attending race school and not racing. Again, race school is just a class and it is the act of participating in 4 races, with a provisional race license, is what gets you your full race license.

What you are advocating for is a real race school. Not only does PCA not have anything like that, they even did away with the fun races which were the only on track component of race license training. I think a real race school would be a great thing but PCA seems to have gone in another direction. PCA does now recognize other race schools and awards club race licenses.

The biggest problem with officiating at PCA is the inconsistency of the rulings based on who you get as stewards for any race weekend. To give the stewards some credit, there is tension between punishing for even the slightest of contact, and the recipient of a 13 is out of the running for the club championship, and letting racers run amuck and bang doors all the time. Where is the middle ground? It is a hard job made harder due to the inconsistency.

There are the "944 classes" as well as SPC, SPB and ME1. Nothing about Porsche racing will ever be low cost, but at least these are more affordable.

Last edited by LuigiVampa; 04-12-2024 at 04:58 PM.
Old 04-12-2024, 09:12 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 248 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by FilthyF14
Zone 2 Rep and VIR Club Race Chair here. I appreciate the comments on this forum and the email feedback I've received - it's all helpful. I'm a retired DE guy but not a club racer (one Chump race in my resume but we finished P4!). The reality from a chair position is that the VIR race has made money every year until 2024. Sometimes not a lot but enough to pay the deposits for the next year. It's a huge bet to sign the track contract and commit to hosting a $110K plus event and then keep your fingers crossed that racers show up. Both Sebring and VIR were down about 25% this year.

Changes we're looking at for 2025 include only 2 race groups and adding a second DE group to fill out four run groups. That would work for the 103 cars we had this year. May help with the DE to CR transitioned mentioned in this thread. Expect the SAT dinner to be an optional fee. A driver dinner has always been included in the registration fee but most of you don't show up. 80 of the 100 racers checked the "dinner" box in registration but only 40 showed up. Wasted money - and food. I think the trophies are important - at least to the guys that win them. I've given the 1st place trophy to the same driver every year and it seems he likes picking it up. PCA gives us a stipend to cover part of the trophy cost.

Lastly, sponsors for VIR have been a big challenge. We had one this year. Long story, but Zone 2 won't be hosting VIR in 2025 and still talking to Regions interested in taking over. They should be better suited to find sponsors.

The zone 2 DE at VIR is where I started with PCA DE back in 2000. I'm sorry to see they won't be hosting the club race any more but I certainly hope somebody picks it up. The numbers this year really surprised me. I've only done this event 3 times in the past 10 years because of the heat. This years race was a bit cold and rainy but it beat the heat. I plan on keeping it on my schedule every year going forward if it keeps happening.
Old 04-12-2024, 09:37 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 58 Posts

Scott, your work on this does not go unnoticed. This year was hard, given the economics of it all.

Mike

Originally Posted by FilthyF14

ProCoach (04-13-2024)

Quick Reply: Why are numbers for racing LOWER??