Rush SR?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2024, 01:50 AM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 887 Likes on 537 Posts
Default Rush SR?

I've seen the ads in Pano and elsewhere for this new reasonably "cheap" track day sports racer and it interests me as it is much less than a Radical for example. The Radical is great and I've driven one on test days a couple times but I don't need something like that, especially at my age. Just want something to "play" with on track days. I have a Mach 1 set up for track days now and it is a kick but an open top sports racer would be fun as I used to race a spec racer Ford in SCCA 10-15 years ago.

Anyone have experience with them, or seen them run???
Old 04-02-2024, 10:37 AM
lcrain
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 39 Posts

I have never driven one, but have been around them on the racetrack in mixed run group racing (NASA). They are quick, cheap and look like a lot of fun. I don't love being on the track with cars that small, personally. Harder for me to see and I am certain the visibility is compromised for them as well. I was actually hit by one in a mixed race group practice session. Through a fast corner I came up behind him, we go onto a shorter straightaway and I move from directly behind him to his left (towards the racing line). He slowly but surely drifts left into me. Broke one of my wheels. I spoke with him afterwards and he did not see my red BMW m3 racecar that is twice the size of his car. That may come down to lack of experience for him vs. visibility, but I try to steer clear of these guys when they come out.

Old 04-13-2024, 12:34 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Haven’t driven one but been in mixed traffic with a few, and they ran a separate race out at podium club. Had similar issues with them being small, hard to see, and a number of them pushing some low percentage moves around 3000+ fully fendered sedans is not a great mix. In a spec class race wouldn’t be so much of an issue.

A driver in one was killed at BW two weeks ago, was not there and only heard second hand that he was possibly hit by a splitter that came off another car. Any open car could have the same issue. Evidentially left the track and went all the way thru the wall.

the group out at podium club sells and supports them, they’d be happy to help you out…

Old 04-13-2024, 10:17 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,886 Likes on 1,694 Posts

I don't think they're attractive at all, but that's just me. I need to have a good looking race car. I don't think much of the looks of the Revolution, either.

I understand there are a ton at CMP this weekend for some sort of championship.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

The following users liked this post:
Cory M (04-16-2024)
Old 04-13-2024, 04:19 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 778 Likes on 506 Posts

I believe they are with Gridlife this weekend.

Email me - I've driven one.
Old 04-13-2024, 04:56 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,886 Likes on 1,694 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
I believe they are with Gridlife this weekend.

Email me - I've driven one.
There's one here at Potomac PCA VIR.
Old 04-13-2024, 08:43 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 778 Likes on 506 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
There's one here at Potomac PCA VIR.
He's having fun too! I'm surprised at the top speed they are getting.
Old 04-13-2024, 08:59 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,367 Likes on 1,616 Posts

Originally Posted by J richard
Haven’t driven one but been in mixed traffic with a few, and they ran a separate race out at podium club. Had similar issues with them being small, hard to see, and a number of them pushing some low percentage moves around 3000+ fully fendered sedans is not a great mix. In a spec class race wouldn’t be so much of an issue.

A driver in one was killed at BW two weeks ago, was not there and only heard second hand that he was possibly hit by a splitter that came off another car. Any open car could have the same issue. Evidentially left the track and went all the way thru the wall.

the group out at podium club sells and supports them, they’d be happy to help you out…
This reads like the opposite of a Volvo advertisement.
The following 2 users liked this post by LuigiVampa:
ldamelio (04-14-2024), ProCoach (04-13-2024)
Old 04-14-2024, 10:20 PM
steveP911
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 218 Posts

There was one in our White group at the Potomac DE at VIR this weekend. During the white classroom, he noted to all of us that he has a hard time seeing behind him, such as when you want to pass. We must have had a similar pace because I never saw him the entire weekend. I was behind him at grid once (faster than me but not that much) and I could see him fiddling with his mirrors. Not my cup of tea....
ldamelio (04-15-2024)
Old 04-15-2024, 11:26 AM
skl
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the feedback- I run at Apex south of PHX but haven't been there much lately. Never seen one there but going to ask around as I'm sure one will show up eventually. Contacted Rush and there is a 6-8month waiting list right now!

I agree the Radical is better looking, but for what I'm looking for at this stage it may fit the bill.
Old 04-23-2024, 10:09 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 413 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by J richard

Driver was Andrew and a very good friend of ours. Like loosing a son. Splitter was kicked up and struck him directly in helmet. He left the track at WOT. I agree that it was a freek accident, still very sad. And I also have a Rush SR but have not actually driven it yet (or even taken delivery). There is a new upgrade for the cage, have not seen it.
Old 04-24-2024, 11:22 PM
skl
Rennlist Member

I built one on their site and a "halo" version is optional and if I got one I'd definitely get it. I see them on most newer Radicals now too.

Sorry to hear about your friend. Yes that is always a consideration in an open car. I can still see Henry Surtee's accident in my sleep...
Old 04-25-2024, 10:24 AM
Helix8
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

A friend of mine has a Rush and it frightens me to see him on track with cars 3X the weight (measured force). The Rush is very small and best running with other Rush platforms.
Old 04-25-2024, 01:23 PM
cstyles
Rennlist Member

Received 192 Likes on 94 Posts

As a Radical owner and racer, I would never recommend a Radical or cars like it for track day use unless you're at a country club track with a large contingent of owners and your own separate track time.

These cars are no fun on a typical track day or DE event where point-by's are required, and as mentioned several times already there is a major risk in sharing the track with 3000+lb full size GT cars who absolutely will not see you coming when your vmin is 50%+ higher than theirs through corners. I raced in two PBOC endurance mixed-class events last year at Sebring in the Radical (6hr with 40 cars, and 90min enduro with 60+ cars). Will never race my radical in mixed classes again, those two races were enough for me to appreciate how large and in charge a 991 GT3 cup car is when you're side by side through fast corners, the scale of the GT3 Cup feels like a dump truck in size beside you, and you know in your heart he has absolutely no fkng idea you're beside him.

Buy a Rush or used Radical or other awesome cars like them and go spec racing, or at least dedicated formula & prototype classes. You'll never want to drive a street-based chassis on the race track again
LuigiVampa (Yesterday)
Old 04-28-2024, 10:50 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Mussl Kar
Driver was Andrew and a very good friend of ours. Like loosing a son. Splitter was kicked up and struck him directly in helmet. He left the track at WOT. I agree that it was a freek accident, still very sad. And I also have a Rush SR but have not actually driven it yet (or even taken delivery). There is a new upgrade for the cage, have not seen it.
Sorry for your loss. I had friends there everyone was pretty freaked out about it. Sometimes things change in the blink of an eye.

i heard the update is an f1 style halo. May or may not of helped your friend but I would feel better about the car with it.

Quick Reply: Rush SR?