Big change to the WGI bus stop!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2024, 11:09 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,892 Likes on 1,696 Posts

Originally Posted by ldamelio
My mechanic and my dentist will miss the business!
What is amazing are the prominent gouges and scrapes in the asphalt of the cars landing beyond where the first big curbs used to be...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 04-08-2024, 11:10 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,437 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
What is amazing are the prominent gouges and scrapes in the asphalt of the cars landing beyond where the first big curbs used to be...
Yup. And if, in fact, this remains permanent, I suspect that is the reason for the change.
Old 04-08-2024, 11:12 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Yup. And if, in fact, this remains permanent, I suspect that is the reason for the change.
I'll bet it's not permanent. At least without raised inserts a la COTA on the two outlined areas of reinforced concrete in the middle of this... That way, they can swap them out for whatever cars are running, be they IMSA, IRL or NASCAR.
The following 3 users liked this post by ProCoach:
dan212 (04-10-2024), KOAN (04-08-2024), Matt Romanowski (04-08-2024)
Old 04-08-2024, 11:21 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 783 Likes on 508 Posts

A lot of them are from the skid block on the sway bars on the NASCAR stuff. They have a big pad to ride on when a tire goes down and that gets in the track pretty hard on the Bus Stop landings. I would see folks on the chassis some, but not nearly as bad. The chassis is usually in under high loads, not landings, but it can vary a lot.
Old 04-08-2024, 12:00 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,457 Likes on 1,010 Posts

Can't see it being permanent.

Changes the entire line from brake zone all the way into the carousel.

How much does the entry line actually change if you still really want to nail the 2nd curbing?
Would seem like an earlier turn in and much more of a straight line to that 2nd curb, yes?
Would get you much closer to the wall on the right in 5a enabling a much straighter, and faster entry in with a direct line to the middle of the 2nd curbing.

Can't see it being permanent but would love to try it.

GBuff, post up video when you get home. You're about 3 weeks ahead of me for The Glen this year (shame shame, I know).
Old 04-08-2024, 12:32 PM
Carrera51
Race Car

Received 165 Likes on 102 Posts

Wow
Old 04-08-2024, 12:41 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

I'll bet it's not permanent. At least without raised inserts a la COTA on the two outlined areas of reinforced concrete in the middle of this... That way, they can swap them out for whatever cars are running, be they IMSA, IRL or NASCAR.
Perhaps! We will see! I'll be there for Trackmasters in early May ... can't wait!
Old 04-08-2024, 12:42 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Perhaps! We will see! I'll be there for Trackmasters in early May ... can't wait!
Leave the McLarens in Texas...
The following users liked this post:
Veloce Raptor (04-08-2024)
Old 04-08-2024, 12:42 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by dgrobs

Would seem like an earlier turn in and much more of a straight line to turn in for that 2nd curb, yes?

Would get you much closer to the wall on the right in 5a enabling a much straighter, and faster entry in with a direct line to the direction change to make the middle of the 2nd curbing.
Added in bold. Wouldn't affect the most desirable exit, but it would allow a) later braking, b) more compressed braking and as you point out c) a straight(er) line to the direction change to the left.

You wouldn't need to slow as much for the direction change to the right, but this will screw with how deep people make the direction change to the left, and the speed they arrive there...

Fun!
Old 04-08-2024, 12:50 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Added in bold. Wouldn't affect the most desirable exit, but it would allow a) later braking, b) more compressed braking and as you point out c) a straight(er) line to the direction change to the left.

You wouldn't need to slow as much for the direction change to the right, but this will screw with how deep people make the direction change to the left, and the speed they arrive there...

Fun!
But without that first curbing, wouldn't turn in for the 2nd curbing be accomplished at or near turn in for the flat track that used to hold that first curbing on the right?

You're saying later turn in. Wouldn't it be an earlier turn in to straighten out the line between 5a and 5b?

Am I not looking at 5b correctly? I use that curbing to help start the rotation to the left as I begin to set up the exit from the bus stop, or am I missing something about 5b?

A later turn into 5a would have the car facing the wrong direction exiting 5b, yes? Am I not looking at 5b correctly?

Edit: The cars in Dave's picture, aren't they too far left at 5a?

Last edited by dgrobs; 04-08-2024 at 12:52 PM.
Old 04-08-2024, 12:53 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dgrobs
Leave the McLarens in Texas...
Haha! Same folks but this time they're bringing two 991 Cups and a 718 Clubsport RS
gbuff (04-08-2024)
Old 04-08-2024, 12:54 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Haha! Same folks but this time they're bringing two 991 Cups and a 718 Clubsport RS
Please advise them of the correct place to paddock up if they don't have a garage spot. Thanks in advance for your help....
Veloce Raptor (04-08-2024)
Old 04-08-2024, 01:20 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I hear you @dgrobs! It looks like you wouldn't need that first left curb to help "turn" the car. just release of the brakes to start making your arc after the first curb on the left.

The following 3 users liked this post by ProCoach:
dgrobs (04-08-2024), George P. (04-08-2024), Veloce Raptor (04-08-2024)
Old 04-08-2024, 02:19 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

I hear you @dgrobs! It looks like you wouldn't need that first left curb to help "turn" the car. just release of the brakes to start making your arc after the first curb on the left.
That's how we ran it in the "good ol days" (2012-ish) when there was no inside curb to speak of and just a drop in the pavement about 1' off the guardrail (sometimes) full of dirt.. Straight shot, quick lift to rotate, scoot on out.. was a hoot when you got it just right.

Last edited by Gary R.; 04-08-2024 at 02:21 PM.
ProCoach (04-08-2024)
Old 04-08-2024, 02:20 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Exactly. Isn't that an "earlier turn in"?

Aren't the 2 cars in your picture offline? It would appear they both turned in too early.

First one is offline to the right making the turn between 5a and 5b too sharp, or sharper than it has to be, yes? Looks like the 2nd car did the same thing and even more so.

Neither car looks anything like a straight line from 5a to 5b. Wouldn't you want to "square off" the amount of steering input between 5b and 5c? Both cars seem to be needing more steering than necessary to get to 5c.

I am missing something, I know I am, but what? Talk to me Peter.
What am I missing about the initial entry into the bus stop without that 5a curbing there.
Wouldn't you want to draw a straight line between 5a and 5b to lower the steering input needed to get to 5c and out of the bus stop?
What am I missing Coach?

Quick Reply: Big change to the WGI bus stop!