Big change to the WGI bus stop!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2024, 05:12 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,383 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Any idea how tall they are?

Are those bolts in the corners so that they can be taken replaced with different height contact patches?
Old 04-13-2024, 05:15 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,892 Likes on 1,696 Posts

My guess is four to six inches at the peak and yes, so they can be substituted.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

The following users liked this post:
Matt Romanowski (04-14-2024)
Old 04-13-2024, 05:18 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ProCoach
My guess is four to six inches at the peak and yes, so they can be substituted.
So you can lose bits from the underside of your car if you accidently straddle one of these? This sounds like a horrible idea!
The following 6 users liked this post by LuigiVampa:
analogmike (04-15-2024), Carrera51 (04-18-2024), Gary R. (04-16-2024), mlct (04-15-2024), ProCoach (04-13-2024), Veloce Raptor (04-13-2024) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-13-2024, 06:24 PM
Difool
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 76 Posts

Apparently these are for NASCAR. The track was unbolting them for alternative plates today. I guess always do recon and know what’s there. Rumbles on 1&5 being shaved as well? 🤷‍♂️. Reporting from Facebook feeds.
The following 2 users liked this post by Difool:
ProCoach (04-14-2024), Veloce Raptor (04-13-2024)
Old 04-13-2024, 06:32 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,437 Likes on 769 Posts

If they leave those up, it will totally destroy a normal Bus Stop entry
Old 04-14-2024, 09:58 AM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Received 269 Likes on 173 Posts

Damn, I get that curbing is to discourage making their real estate part of the racing surface, but it seems like these might be too easy to run them over and damage your car or cause loss of control.
Old 04-14-2024, 12:00 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
So you can lose bits from the underside of your car if you accidently straddle one of these? This sounds like a horrible idea!
It’s purposeful, and in response to driver’s increasing disregard of track limits.

Originally Posted by Difool
Apparently these are for NASCAR. The track was unbolting them for alternative plates today. I guess always do recon and know what’s there. Rumbles on 1&5 being shaved as well? 🤷‍♂️. Reporting from Facebook feeds.
Yep, they wouldn’t have these in for formula cars, sports racing cars or DE, I imagine. This reinforces the purpose of going EASY and doing a track reconnaissance session first thing on ANY event.

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
If they leave those up, it will totally destroy a normal Bus Stop entry
I don’t know, but again, I would be willing to bet they won’t leave them up, they’ll put smaller ones in, like COTA does.

Originally Posted by stownsen914
Damn, I get that curbing is to discourage making their real estate part of the racing surface, but it seems like these might be too easy to run them over and damage your car or cause loss of control.
They're only as easy to hit as the drivers make them. Too few drivers are aware of where the corners of their car are. The idea of having half dollar size reference points to place the right front and rear when approaching these will be reinforced.

Drivers cause a loss of control, not the track…
Old 04-14-2024, 03:12 PM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Received 269 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
They're only as easy to hit as the drivers make them. Too few drivers are aware of where the corners of their car are. The idea of having half dollar size reference points to place the right front and rear when approaching these will be reinforced.

Drivers cause a loss of control, not the track…
Agree with your statements. My concern is if the new curbing poses an unexpected hazard to trackday participants, it may cause more problems than it solves. If the aggressive version of the curbing is only there for certain pro events, then it makes sense to me.
The following 2 users liked this post by stownsen914:
LuigiVampa (04-14-2024), ProCoach (04-14-2024)
Old 04-14-2024, 04:09 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stownsen914
Agree with your statements. My concern is if the new curbing poses an unexpected hazard to trackday participants, it may cause more problems than it solves. If the aggressive version of the curbing is only there for certain pro events, then it makes sense to me.
I think these new contact patches will be far more dangerous for amateur drivers than the problem they purport to cure.
Old 04-14-2024, 04:35 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I think these new contact patches will be far more dangerous for amateur drivers than the problem they purport to cure.
Tracks tend be far more biased towards preparing and upgrading for pro events. Club and for-profit DE's and track days are an afterthought for the larger tracks. They're not really concerned about anything except renting real estate.

The fact that these are removable indicate to me that they will be swapped out for different pro events and perhaps for each pro event themselves. I am sure they'll paint the new concrete and the inserts contrasting colors, too.

They might use the punishing Detail B Sausage kerbs for the NASCAR cars and something like Detail C for everything else, but I doubt they'll leave it flat and level.

Old 04-14-2024, 11:55 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,457 Likes on 1,010 Posts

We’re effed..
Old 04-15-2024, 06:50 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Assuming that WGI keeps these contact patches up for amateur groups, and putting aside the danger of high-siding them or hitting them wrong, won't the different line, with a driver having to make a sharper right hand turn to drive around the contact patches, and as a result, a more sharp left turn for the second (now first?) rumble, unsettle the balance of the car more and result in more accidents?

I'm sure the thinking is that this will make people have to slow the car down more, but drivers will always try to drive faster, and I think this will actually yield more incidents as a results.
The following users liked this post:
paradocs98 (04-15-2024)
Old 04-15-2024, 08:18 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 248 Likes on 167 Posts

That looks like fun if they leave it like that. The original curb took my door off one time.

Edit: It goes without saying that I was incredibly lucky in several ways during this event. First, the door bounced once and landed in the grass in the middle of the bus stop and didn't pose a hazard to anyone. There wasn't even a yellow. I was hoping for one so I could get my door back and get back in the race but it could have been bad if it bounced the other way. I didn't think the door could come off when closed but obviously it can. I always made sure that the bolt was tight after that. Second, my first reaction was to try to catch the door as it was coming off. I'm glad I missed.

Last edited by sbelles; 04-16-2024 at 12:05 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by sbelles:
Gary R. (04-16-2024), LuigiVampa (04-15-2024), stownsen914 (04-16-2024)
Old 04-18-2024, 02:22 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sbelles
That looks like fun if they leave it like that. The original curb took my door off one time.

Edit: It goes without saying that I was incredibly lucky in several ways during this event. First, the door bounced once and landed in the grass in the middle of the bus stop and didn't pose a hazard to anyone. There wasn't even a yellow. I was hoping for one so I could get my door back and get back in the race but it could have been bad if it bounced the other way. I didn't think the door could come off when closed but obviously it can. I always made sure that the bolt was tight after that. Second, my first reaction was to try to catch the door as it was coming off. I'm glad I missed.
Was that a Boeing aftermarket door?
The following 2 users liked this post by LuigiVampa:
Coochas (04-18-2024), needmoregarage (04-19-2024)
Old 04-18-2024, 02:43 PM
Carrera51
Race Car

Received 165 Likes on 102 Posts

Those curbs will rip the oil pan off an SPB or SPC, especially if there's a deep sump pan on the car. Yikes.

Quick Reply: Big change to the WGI bus stop!