Big change to the WGI bus stop!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2024, 04:56 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,886 Likes on 1,694 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
He is taking a very shallow angle...I wonder why?
$#itty entry line. Steering angle begins early and slowly, without maximum braking, changes the approach angle all the time. He is arriving early and must continue turning to the right to miss the first left hand curb. Or at least that's what it looks like to me from a casual review.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 04-22-2024, 04:59 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Montaver
Interesting, feedback I'm hearing is people in DE or racing couldn't go over it and had to take a wider line than before. The GTS3 (mostly E46's with aero) guys were not able to get over it, although I don't know how much experimentation was done. Maybe people just need to get used to it and we will see everyone effectively ignoring it and straight lining the entry like before.
Pardon my obliqueness.

That's what I'm saying. If you don't strike it with the right front and launch the car, you drive over it and damage the undertray/oil pan/trans mount/exhaust/diff carrier on a car like an E46 M3 (with aero or not).

Basically you need to apex it later and less. The old geometry looks like it's still the best entry at maximum gSum ALL the way until you change direction back to the left again.
The following users liked this post:
Montaver (04-22-2024)
Old 04-22-2024, 05:01 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,433 Likes on 767 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
$#itty entry line. Steering angle begins early and slowly, without maximum braking, changes the approach angle all the time. He is arriving early and must continue turning to the right to miss the first left hand curb. Or at least that's what it looks like to me from a casual review.
I was seeing it the same way: his entry line points him directly at curb #2 which is not good
ProCoach (04-23-2024)
Old 04-22-2024, 05:26 PM
Montaver
Rennlist Member

Received 509 Likes on 247 Posts

Pardon my obliqueness.

That's what I'm saying. If you don't strike it with the right front and launch the car, you drive over it and damage the undertray/oil pan/trans mount/exhaust/diff carrier on a car like an E46 M3 (with aero or not).

Basically you need to apex it later and less. The old geometry looks like it's still the best entry at maximum gSum ALL the way until you change direction back to the left again.
Seems like questionable change to make given the potential for damage if you get it wrong and come in too far. For street cars that might be pushing the risk/reward too far towards risk. I'm very curious to try it myself and see how it affects lap times.
Old 04-22-2024, 06:02 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Montaver
Seems like questionable change to make given the potential for damage if you get it wrong and come in too far. For street cars that might be pushing the risk/reward too far towards risk. I'm very curious to try it myself and see how it affects lap times.
I think that is the idea of more modern curbing. To keep cars off them.

Given every path around the track is a choice, and that if folks are not sure where the edges of the car are, they should leave more margin, I can see why they did this.

As pointed out before, they are swappable to other heights. The ones in there now are what seem to be default for most club track renters.
Old 04-23-2024, 02:29 PM
facelvega
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 58 Posts

...As pointed out before, they are swappable to other heights. The ones in there now are what seem to be default for most club track renters.
It is interesting to see the speculation by outsiders concerning the curb obstacles. As an insider, I can give you guys the straight scoop.

The name of the game today is monetization, and engaging the young, tech savvy hipster consumer. I am one of the developers on the new WGI app. The rumbles are not swappable - they are hydraulic, and Bluetooth enabled. When you are close (within Bluetooth range), the curb will adjust: full height is free, mid height is $5 per lap, and flat is $10 per lap.

The app function is even more profitable for racing applications. Each car has a transponder, so the app can know exactly where you are, and who is passing by. While each racer can bid (online auction) for a lower rumble strip, other racers can, by car number, pay even more to override competitors bids, putting the bollard back to full height just before their rival crosses it.

These innovations will move auto racing away from boring results involving skill, talent, and racecraft, into the realm of virtual augmented simulations of reality. Welcome to your future!!!
The following 11 users liked this post by facelvega:
Carrera51 (04-23-2024), dan212 (04-23-2024), dgrobs (04-23-2024), Matt Romanowski (04-23-2024), MaxLTV (04-27-2024), mlct (04-23-2024), ProCoach (04-23-2024), quickboxster (04-23-2024), sbelles (04-23-2024), Veloce Raptor (04-23-2024), vwmurph (04-24-2024) and 6 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-23-2024, 02:34 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,453 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by facelvega
It is interesting to see the speculation by outsiders concerning the curb obstacles. As an insider, I can give you guys the straight scoop.

The name of the game today is monetization, and engaging the young, tech savvy hipster consumer. I am one of the developers on the new WGI app. The rumbles are not swappable - they are hydraulic, and Bluetooth enabled. When you are close (within Bluetooth range), the curb will adjust: full height is free, mid height is $5 per lap, and flat is $10 per lap.

The app function is even more profitable for racing applications. Each car has a transponder, so the app can know exactly where you are, and who is passing by. While each racer can bid (online auction) for a lower rumble strip, other racers can, by car number, pay even more to override competitors bids, putting the bollard back to full height just before their rival crosses it.

These innovations will move auto racing away from boring results involving skill, talent, and racecraft, into the realm of virtual augmented simulations of reality. Welcome to your future!!!
Freakin Awesome!!!

So instead of putting your competition in the wall, you can pay a little extra and rip out the underside of their car by raising the turtles at the last second so they DNF all together. Fantastic idea.

Any chance you are working to integrate Apple Car Play into the system for even faster turtle response times? "Hey Siri, Veloce Raptor is about to turn in for 5a".......
Old 04-23-2024, 02:36 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Bwhahahahahahaaaaaaaa!!!!!
Old 04-23-2024, 02:48 PM
Carrera51
Race Car

Received 165 Likes on 102 Posts

Why not just do what Bernie Ecclestone proposed last decade. Add some sprinklers to to make the corners more interesting.

Old 04-25-2024, 08:59 AM
Difool
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 76 Posts

From the AER Facebook group
Matt Romanowski (04-25-2024)
Old 04-25-2024, 09:24 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 401 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Difool

From the AER Facebook group
Looks like they’ve been rubbered in!
Old 04-25-2024, 10:19 AM
roadie13
Burning Brakes

Received 228 Likes on 165 Posts

From Audi NEQ event this Monday/Tuesday. There is no way to go over the inner bits in a productive fashion with anything resembling a street suspension setup. Clear from the lack of discoloring. Or maybe folks were not brave enough...

Old 04-25-2024, 10:42 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Those pyramids in the middle look absolutely terrible
krell (04-25-2024)
Old 04-25-2024, 11:30 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,370 Likes on 1,618 Posts

They are removable. I wonder if you get an option to put something different when you rent the track?

Does anyone have any idea as to the problem they were trying to solve for when they made this change? Are they just trying to slow everyone down?
Old 04-25-2024, 11:39 AM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,330 Likes on 570 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
They are removable. I wonder if you get an option to put something different when you rent the track?

Does anyone have any idea as to the problem they were trying to solve for when they made this change? Are they just trying to slow everyone down?
From my earlier post (#50), shared with me by a RTR friend::

Using data collected from drivers’ mouthguards after the 2023 contest at Watkins Glen, the sanctioning body has determined to remove the steep curbing through the bus-stop chicane at the 2.45-mile road course.

Curb hopping triggered notable spikes in forces the drivers underwent each time they raced through the inner loop. Like Daytona, those curbs will be removed and replaced with contact pads. Different temporary strips - whether flat, an inch tall or otherwise - will be tested during a Goodyear tire test at the facility on June 26-27

Recessed rumble strips will also be implemented in the run-off section of Turn 1, an addition made in effort to limit drivers’ use of the extra pavement on driver-left of the 90-degree right-handed turn.”

Quick Reply: Big change to the WGI bus stop!