Sponsored by:

Race timing app

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2024, 07:36 PM
bwright888
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Lightbulb Race timing app

I've been working on an app to bring race timing, updates and flags into the car for drivers as you're racing and wanted to share it here for folks to test it out and give feedback. I tested this a few weeks ago at Sebring for Radical Cup and Porsche Sprint Challenge and I'm interested to get more feedback from a broader audience.

Who is it for?
- Amateur racers in series such as SCCA, NASA, spec series racing, time attacks
- This is not for track days as typically they don't have timing loops running to avoid people chasing lap times

What does it do?
- Gives you live race information from the official timing system
- Info includes lap times, overall and class race positions, sector times, race time remaining, current flag status (red, full course yellow, green, checkered)
- You get both a visual and audio output
- It connects to Porsche Sprint Challenge, USF, Radical Cup and Race Monitor feeds today, and I am looking to add more feeds soon

How do I use it?
- You will need to mount your phone in the car, depending on your setup, there are a variety of different ways to go about this
- If you want to use audio, you will need a bluetooth receiver and then a splitter cable. Racing Radios have a variety of options to make this work so you can hear both the audio from the app and still maintain your racing radio audio

Here's a video overview:

You can download the app here (it's free but iOS only right now): https://apps.apple.com/ie/app/flying...latform=iphone

Would love feedback!

Last edited by bwright888; 04-09-2024 at 07:46 PM. Reason: missed some info
Old 04-09-2024, 10:37 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,890 Likes on 1,695 Posts

Couldn’t add my race number?
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 04-10-2024, 12:04 AM
bwright888
AutoX

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Couldn’t add my race number?
Are you getting some kind of error or what happens with the screen when you try and enter it? Is your race number an actual number E.g. "28" or does it contain other characters like "A28"?
Old 04-10-2024, 09:27 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

Really excited to see this! In had been working on something similar for my own use. I’ll try it out at the PCA Lime Rock race and post feedback. Can’t wait!
The following users liked this post:
bwright888 (04-10-2024)
Old 04-10-2024, 10:20 AM
skeeler
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts

Outstanding! Would really like this for "Flag Status" alone!!!!

Downloading it now and will give it some testing end of May, back to back PCA Race weekends. Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
bwright888 (04-10-2024)
Old 04-10-2024, 11:44 AM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 238 Posts

I assume it requires a stable internet connection?.
Old 04-10-2024, 02:26 PM
bwright888
AutoX

Correct - Cell reception at tracks is getting better and better. There are still some tracks that have issues, but generally the situation will continue to improve as 5G rolls out.

Verizon has been strong in testing at Sebring, Laguna Seca and Sonoma. Interested to hear feedback on what other networks/track combos work well or don't work well.

With the latest generation iphone/ipad devices it's also possible to have dual networks running on the device and it will auto-connect to whichever network is the strongest.

Old 04-11-2024, 08:38 AM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 937 Likes on 626 Posts

We had something like this in one of the WRL cars I have been in. Ran on a tablet mounted in front of the instrument cluster. So it exists already, but it did not include flags. Yours looks like a combo of that plus Flagtronics, which is cool to have them both together.

WRL has mandated Flagtronics in every car starting this year. Used it last weekend at Mid Ohio for the first time, it is nice to have. Also has an automatic pit timer built in. I expect other series to follow this.

Last edited by Nickshu; 04-11-2024 at 08:39 AM.
Old 04-11-2024, 02:52 PM
bwright888
AutoX

Originally Posted by Nickshu
We had something like this in one of the WRL cars I have been in. Ran on a tablet mounted in front of the instrument cluster. So it exists already, but it did not include flags. Yours looks like a combo of that plus Flagtronics, which is cool to have them both together.

WRL has mandated Flagtronics in every car starting this year. Used it last weekend at Mid Ohio for the first time, it is nice to have. Also has an automatic pit timer built in. I expect other series to follow this.
I'm not that familiar with WRL, will take a look, thank you!

The flagtronics system looks good and more and more series are starting to use it. Great to see in-car technology stepping out of the dark ages.
Old 04-11-2024, 09:07 PM
DOUGLAP1
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

I would gladly pay for an Android version of this.

I have my own AIM lap times on my steering wheel that are GPS based, but generally are very close to the official transponder lap times. What I really want to see is my competitor's lap times to see how much of a lead I have. My crew doesn't like using a radio, so I'm on my own on-track..

I had been thinking of mounting my cell phone somehow in my car to see Race Monitor, but the numbers on Race Monitor are so small, I'm not sure I could see it at a glance.
Old 04-11-2024, 10:22 PM
bwright888
AutoX

Originally Posted by DOUGLAP1
I would gladly pay for an Android version of this.

I have my own AIM lap times on my steering wheel that are GPS based, but generally are very close to the official transponder lap times. What I really want to see is my competitor's lap times to see how much of a lead I have. My crew doesn't like using a radio, so I'm on my own on-track..

I had been thinking of mounting my cell phone somehow in my car to see Race Monitor, but the numbers on Race Monitor are so small, I'm not sure I could see it at a glance.
This is exactly why I made it, so in qualifying you get a better sense of where you are and how much you need to improve. Then for the race, understanding your position overall and in-class is often difficult when you have 30+ cars on track and multiple classes running. Then the audio read outs mean you don't need to be glued to a screen, it will give you the info you need through your helmet audio.

I am beginning to look into an Android version, but not sure on timelines yet. In the meantime, some people are buying iPhone mini 13's or iPad mini's as a second device to do a permanent install in the car.

Quick Reply: Race timing app