PCA Club Racing: Abolish 13/13 for 9-race probation & Keep points

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2024, 07:43 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by bauerjab
why not make it a "whichever comes first" rule. either 9 races or 13 months. what is the harm in that.
I think the point is that PCA wants you to demonstrate that you can race within the rules and under control. You can only do that on track.

Sitting out for 13 months does not show PCA that you've learned anything from the incident.

I don't dislike this approach

I do see how it sucks if you only do one or 2 race weekends a year.

As for the "passing" rule we have I think one of the problems when the stewards are analyzing what happened in an incident on track they are using 2 or 3 or more different camera angles and they forget that both drivers involved only have the information they can see through their windows and mirrors. While it's helpful to determine how or what happened it's imperative to put yourself back in the "driver's view" when determining blame.

Last edited by Streak; 04-23-2024 at 07:49 PM.
The following users liked this post:
bsztanko (04-26-2024)
Old 04-24-2024, 09:42 AM
Jared Rodeheaver
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Unfortunately I think the amount of contact "rubout's" allowed on a race to race weekend is out of control and none of these rule changes matter since these are not part of the equation. Just watch the B1 race from last weekend at LRP.. This contact is allowed mentality is deterring people from PCA CR and not attracting them. This is supposed to be a hobby and we all want to win but not at the cost of running into others etc.
The following 5 users liked this post by Jared Rodeheaver:
9114609048 (04-25-2024), analogmike (04-24-2024), NaroEscape (04-24-2024), ProCoach (04-24-2024), redmcoupe (04-24-2024)
Old 04-24-2024, 10:55 AM
redmcoupe
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Others have mentioned, we need more transparency. I can’t figure out when we have commenting periods, what can be implemented immediately, etc. It feels like a free for all where administration can make any decision without full membership consultation. Sometimes there needs to be immediate decisions but imo, this isn’t one of them. If you announce a ruling, it should start with a problem statement. I shouldn’t have to infer that. Personally, my biggest issue is more laxity with contact over time. I thought pca club racing was promoted as a no contact league but certainly hasn’t demonstrated that. That said, driving standards have definitely “changed”. So my problem statement as a club racer I don’t feel is addressed which is, there is too much contact in PCA already. So in my mind this rule change immediately hit me as, it will be worse, as there was no explanation of the problem attempting to be solved and how it goes about solving it.
What I will say is this. I’m not alone in feeling that the contact is too much, with too little consequences. So any rule that appears to make it even more lax is off-putting on the surface.
I’d much rather race with a group that races hard but respects a no contact mentality to minimize incidents. We’ve just gotten to the point where there are some aggressive drivers, those that know who they are and just avoid, and those that try not to be intimidated and wind up with contact, just to then say the aggressive driver “could be at fault” but hey, it’s just a rubout.
Naturally incidents will happen but I personally prefer to embrace the no contact mentality. Any rule that makes drivers feel less punishment with contact and encourages lower driving standards will also push out drivers like me who don’t want a smashed up Porsche at the end of a weekend… My point is, it won’t come for free and the club will lose racers one way or the other without changes. Just have to decide which drivers you want to cater to.

there’s a lot to unpack but let’s start there.
The following 2 users liked this post by redmcoupe:
Jared Rodeheaver (04-24-2024), ProCoach (04-24-2024)
Old 04-24-2024, 10:59 AM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 548 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by Jared Rodeheaver
Unfortunately I think the amount of contact "rubout's" allowed on a race to race weekend is out of control and none of these rule changes matter since these are not part of the equation. Just watch the B1 race from last weekend at LRP.. This contact is allowed mentality is deterring people from PCA CR and not attracting them. This is supposed to be a hobby and we all want to win but not at the cost of running into others etc.
+1
Like the rubout on my car last year that cost me over $2500 to "Rub Out".... and it's still not completely fixed.

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

The following 2 users liked this post by NaroEscape:
Old 04-24-2024, 11:02 AM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Just because someone is on probation doesn’t mean they can’t race, it just means they have to be extra careful.
yes, but this new rule FORCES them to race with PCA AND be careful to get off probation. That part I do like.

But back to the consistent enforcement of the rules. I do know a few people that got their first 13 and felt it was unwarranted, so they sat out 13 months (and raced with other groups) for fear that if anything around them happened at all, they would be blamed and be suspended.

Last edited by NaroEscape; 04-24-2024 at 11:06 AM.
Old 04-24-2024, 01:51 PM
redmcoupe
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Yes, exactly. For me, there is a problem statement around driving standards diminishing and therefore decreased respect for space and "light" contact, which eventually breeds more contact. As others more in the know have stated, it appears PCA has more contact than other leagues. In my mind, this continues to be a concern. But since there is no problem statement along with this particular rule change, it's unclear what is being addressed.

But as was pointed out, I do like that you must race "clean" races while under probation as opposed to time-binding. But I don't see why allow points to be accumulated other than trying to incentivize them to continue to drive vs drop PCA. If data supported that they don't usually offend 2nd time, then I'd feel comfortable racing with them.

The following 2 users liked this post by redmcoupe:
Old 04-24-2024, 02:16 PM
Jas0nn
Pro

Received 315 Likes on 154 Posts

What other sprint series are you guys thinking of that have less contact?

SCCA has tons.

NASA too.

If we're just comparing PCA to vintage orgs, that doesn't seem like a fair comparison ...
Old 04-24-2024, 03:24 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 776 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by NaroEscape
I do know a few people that got their first 13 and felt it was unwarranted, so they sat out 13 months (and raced with other groups) for fear that if anything around them happened at all, they would be blamed and be suspended.
So they treated their first 13 like they got their second 13 because they feared getting a second 13? Yeah, that makes a whole lot of sense…
Old 04-24-2024, 03:59 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by winders
So they treated their first 13 like they got their second 13 because they feared getting a second 13? Yeah, that makes a whole lot of sense…
People have their reasons to do what they do. If you felt it was an unjustified 13 to begin with, maybe you're pissed off at PCA, maybe you're afraid you'll get blamed again for something you didn't do. Going somewhere else for 13 months, you come back with a clean slate....if you ever come back.
The following 2 users liked this post by NaroEscape:
caymancyr (04-29-2024), ProCoach (04-24-2024)
Old 04-24-2024, 04:45 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,378 Likes on 1,620 Posts

As many are pointing out, how any car club handles car to car contact is multi-faceted issue, of which the penalty is just one part.

The main gripe amongst the drivers is the inconsistency of the rulings. There is also the issue of the severity of the punishment relative to the severity of the incident. PCA attempted to fix only the length of the punishment.

I think this was rushed and all the issues regarding car to car contact should have been fleshed out before making any change.

The following 4 users liked this post by LuigiVampa:
9114609048 (04-25-2024), ProCoach (04-24-2024), redmcoupe (04-24-2024), Veloce Raptor (04-24-2024)
Old 04-24-2024, 10:29 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,888 Likes on 1,695 Posts

Originally Posted by redmcoupe
Yes, exactly. For me, there is a problem statement around driving standards diminishing and therefore decreased respect for space and "light" contact, which eventually breeds more contact. As others more in the know have stated, it appears PCA has more contact than other leagues. In my mind, this continues to be a concern. But since there is no problem statement along with this particular rule change, it's unclear what is being addressed.

But as was pointed out, I do like that you must race "clean" races while under probation as opposed to time-binding. But I don't see why allow points to be accumulated other than trying to incentivize them to continue to drive vs drop PCA. If data supported that they don't usually offend 2nd time, then I'd feel comfortable racing with them.
Bingo!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 04-24-2024, 10:30 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,888 Likes on 1,695 Posts

Originally Posted by Jas0nn
What other sprint series are you guys thinking of that have less contact?

SCCA has tons.

NASA too.

If we're just comparing PCA to vintage orgs, that doesn't seem like a fair comparison ...
Ummm, it’s the same rules…
Old 04-25-2024, 12:21 AM
Jas0nn
Pro

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Ummm, it’s the same rules…
Entirely different mindset.
Old 04-25-2024, 08:28 AM
Jas0nn
Pro

When we talk about "rules," we're really talking about the consequences. But that mindset/approach is significantly different. This is clear enough even within PCA; the Purple rungroup at LRP featuring the vintages classes and 911CUP is a great example.

Last edited by Jas0nn; 04-25-2024 at 08:29 AM.
Old 04-25-2024, 11:39 AM
Mike Roblin
Rennlist Member

Received 480 Likes on 300 Posts

And maybe this is exactly the problem? Meaning, maybe it shouldn't be a different mindset!

When we talk about "rules," we're really talking about the consequences. But that mindset/approach is significantly different. This is clear enough even within PCA; the Purple rungroup at LRP featuring the vintages classes and 911CUP is a great example.
I think this makes my point, the vintage group seems to have less contact than the groups with more modern cars - possibly because those driving in those groups have a greater amount of respect for their competitors (created through camaraderie amongst the group - which you've fostered very well!)
The following 2 users liked this post by Mike Roblin:
analogmike (04-26-2024), Jared Rodeheaver (04-26-2024)

Quick Reply: PCA Club Racing: Abolish 13/13 for 9-race probation & Keep points