Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cambermeister to increase camber?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2004, 11:57 AM
bauerjab
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default cambermeister to increase camber?

Has anyone heard of using a cambermeister to increase camber on a 911? Seems kind of wacko to me.

Am very interested in the answer as this modification is being recommended to me. Plus, I have to take out the aftermarket spherical monoballs that I bought (they weren't cheap!) and put the stock crap back in so that a cambermeister can be installed.

Many thanks.
Old 10-20-2004, 01:50 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who's the bonehead tellin you that?

If it's a shop or mechanic, you need a NEW ONE! Only moving the top of the strut laterally, or the spindle in relation to it, can change camber. Strut braces merely control some of the LOSS of camber due to chassis flex from cornering forces, and this loss is quite minor I must imagine. Certainly not .5 of a degree... probably not even close. Just a guess....

There MUST be a camber truss that works with monoballs. They still bolt to the same spots!
Old 10-20-2004, 02:25 PM
mwildt
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only way I can think this would work is if you're trying to bring the shock towers closer together using the camber truss to pull them. Some club racers do this. To fix the hood problem that occurs when doing this, like the hood won't fit, you then add extra spacers to the fender mounts. This moves the fender back out and you can then close the hood.

I agree with John that if you cannot keep the monoballs with the camber truss choose a different one. There are several vendors that sells these devices.

Michael
Old 10-20-2004, 02:45 PM
bauerjab
Burning Brakes

The purpose of the cambermeister would be to pull the shock towers closer together to get more negative camber than could be achieved without doing this.

I realize that the function of the bar is to prevent shock tower movement. It is not to pull the shock towers together. I am interested if anyone understands from a structural perspective whether this is a viable option for obtaining increased camber (assuming of course. that I really need to have this added increment of negative camber-which of course is another questionable issue.)
Old 10-20-2004, 03:11 PM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

smartracingproucts.com
Old 10-20-2004, 03:26 PM
mdbickell
Instructor

I believe Weltmeister makes a strut brace (camberbrace or whatever you want to call it) that fits w/ their monoballs. Or perhaps I thinking of Smart. check both, but they do exist.
Old 10-20-2004, 03:28 PM
James Achard
Pro

Yes, I have done this on my car and I can now get -3deg of camber if needed. I have been running for two seasons like this without a hitch. Even after a major shunt at RA the camber remained the same (bent strut, cracked rotor and bent wheel). MJR is correct, Smart racing has all the parts you need to fix the monoball issue. No hood mismatch issues either, remember that you only need to move the top of the strut a small amout to get quite a bit of camber. This also is a function of how low your car is.

Cheers, James
Old 10-20-2004, 03:38 PM
bauerjab
Burning Brakes

Jim,

thanks.

John

Quick Reply: cambermeister to increase camber?