Sponsored by:

Towing question....duallie

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 04:17 PM
LanceK
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Towing question....duallie

I currently tow a 24' enclosed trailer with a 1/2 ton pickup, Reese weight distributing hitch with a sway control on one side.

Weight loaded is in the 6-8K lb. range.

I am looking at a duallie pickup (1-ton) and was wondering if I could tow the same trailer WITHOUT the WD hitch and sway bar and have the same or better performance?

The reason is making tight turns with the WD hitch sometimes causes the "bars" to pop off. Would be nice to have steady towing and be able to maneuver in the pits without having to take the bars off.

TIA
Old 02-02-2005, 04:21 PM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 8 Posts

What's your tongue weight ? (how's that for a set-up line ?)

I tow a 24' with a crewcab dually - and I use a WD hitch, as it gives me much better braking, especially in the wet. My bars don't pop off - you may want to talk to the WD hitch manufacturer, as there might be a problem with the install.

24' with a 1/2ton PU ? You have a death wish.
Old 02-02-2005, 04:27 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LanceK
I currently tow a 24' enclosed trailer with a 1/2 ton pickup, Reese weight distributing hitch with a sway control on one side.

Weight loaded is in the 6-8K lb. range.

I am looking at a duallie pickup (1-ton) and was wondering if I could tow the same trailer WITHOUT the WD hitch and sway bar and have the same or better performance?

The reason is making tight turns with the WD hitch sometimes causes the "bars" to pop off. Would be nice to have steady towing and be able to maneuver in the pits without having to take the bars off.

TIA
You won't have the same or better performance. I have towed my trailer (same approx specs as yours) with and without WD and can say the rig is much more stable with. I agree that you should have the hitch checked, mine has never come off (I hope I didn't just jinx myself)
Old 02-02-2005, 04:29 PM
Glenn from Denver
Instructor

I've got a Silverado 2500HD (not a dually). No problem with the WD hitch...as a matter of fact, I wouldn't tow without it! I live at the end of a cul de sac and making the turn around in front of the house is pretty tight. I've never had the bars pop off.
Old 02-02-2005, 04:33 PM
LanceK
Pro

My bars have never popped off during normal driving.

ONLY when truck and trailer are turned at max angle or close to it. Like when backing into a driveway etc.

TIA
Old 02-02-2005, 04:42 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Not sure how much non-towing or hauling you will be doing, but 3500 dually will ride like crap empty. For towing my car on an open trailer use my father's Dodge 2500 V10. No hitch bars and it tows like champ. Ride is nice and smooth too. However drive around empty (bed empty and no trailer) and ride is borderline. It is use mostly for towing so it no an issue, but if you daily drive the truck and tow on the weekends it would better to stay with the 1500 series truck. The ride will be smoother 95% of the time and only a pain when towing as a 2500 will do a better job with that size trailer. However how much daily comfort is worth giving up for towing comfort.

For us the 2500 is overkill for the small trailer, but it gives us the chance to dream about a bigger trailer and not need to worry if the truck can tow it.
Old 02-02-2005, 04:54 PM
Doug Donsbach
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Your WD hitch is either defective or has been installed improperly.
Old 02-02-2005, 06:08 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree that you have a problem with your hitch / bars. I use the Reese dual-cam and it works great.

That said, I have also towed my trailer (~8,000 lbs) with a 1 ton dualie with no bars and it did just fine.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:01 PM
LanceK
Pro

Thanks for all the feedback.

It sounds like I need to go through the WD hitch and make sure it's installed and sorted properly. Although I did speak with someone before I installed it and he was having the same issue. Although his could be messed up too...

I've test driven the duallie and don't mind the ride empty. I am however more concerned about parking as it will be a daily driver.

I drove the 8.1 3/4 ton Suburban the other day and it had plenty of power. Anybody have experience towing with the 8.1 Suburban?

TIA
Old 02-02-2005, 11:20 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

As was stated previously weight distribution in the trailer itself (with cargo) is extremely important. I have seen damaged tow vehicles and trailers because the tongue weight was too great! Broken bolts, sheared welds, and bent frames.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:39 AM
chas911
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by LanceK
Thanks for all the feedback.

It sounds like I need to go through the WD hitch and make sure it's installed and sorted properly. Although I did speak with someone before I installed it and he was having the same issue. Although his could be messed up too...

I've test driven the duallie and don't mind the ride empty. I am however more concerned about parking as it will be a daily driver.

I drove the 8.1 3/4 ton Suburban the other day and it had plenty of power. Anybody have experience towing with the 8.1 Suburban?

TIA
I tow with an 8.1 Suburban. The trailer weighs 7,000 full. I too have the Reese sway control and WD hitch. I have not had any problems except for fuel mileage. I get approx 330 miles on a tank full of 37.5 gallons ( I never run it to empty).

I get approx 13 highway miles empty and 11 around town.

Quick Reply: Towing question....duallie