Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Hans devise attacked me again & Dunlops

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 01:26 AM
Claus Groth
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have used the hans Device the last two track weekends. When I was practicing before that, I had to lengthen the belts to get the adjusters lower. I then tightened the belts as tight as I could and thrust myself forward several times and twisted. One belt came off more than once on several tries. The problem is that the lower part of the brace is farther inward than the natural location of the belts as they head toward the belt quick-connect hub. I concluded that I could cross the shoulder belts or wear a sternum strap, that I already had.

I wrote to Hans Performance Products detailing the above and the reply was that I should wear a sternum strap. I can forward their e-mail to anyone interested in seeing it. I have used the sternum strap and have not had a problem in normal drivnig but then I also have not had an accident to really test it.
Old 04-20-2005, 09:14 AM
CarreraCup03
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Bill, do you have the older model ... which does not have friction tape on the wings. I use the schroth 3" sholder straps and and have never had the belts slide off. If u dont have the friction tape I think u can get it from HANS. Or maybe I am just not going fast enough to have the problem.
Old 04-20-2005, 09:20 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Have you though about putting some velco on the Hans and the shoulder belts (to the point where they touch hans)?
Old 04-20-2005, 09:56 AM
ngoldrich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWIW -

I have been using the older Hans now for 2 years. My seat is a Recaro SPG racer Pro with the wings.

I have had no problems with the belts sliding off once they are tightened. I was very careful about belt placement.

That being said, while I buckle them up I have to be very careful and make sure the belts are placed as close to the inside of the hans as possible. I also really make the harness tight.

Norm
Old 04-20-2005, 10:03 AM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

I have the black tape. Sounds like a set up issue as pointed out earlier.

Velcro would make it tough to tighten the shoulder belts.

Bruce, The problem with slicks is they make a average driver look like a star. One reason that the performance difference is so drastic on my car is that I had the suspension set up for slicks before Sebring and never made the change. So my DOT's were about 60% contact with the racing surface. My Dunlops are very happy.
Old 04-20-2005, 12:41 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The Schroth HANS belts really look like the perfect solution but I do not believe they are PCA legal. PCA specifies a 3" lapbelt.... lots of debate on this and Schroth claims that testing shows the 2" belt is actually safer.... I certainly have no reason not to believe them.... but as far as I know PCA has not changed the rule despite some complaints.

Definately check your belt height... I had to add a second bar to my cage to raise the belt mounting point to get the HANS to fit right.

Also I would NOT cross my shoulder harnesses.... this sounds way dangerous to me...

Bill. W... maybe you should just trade the slicks for some Pep Boys Super Gold Miler Cadet Supreme tires.... bet your belts would not longer slip in the corners.....
Old 04-20-2005, 01:54 PM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bill. W... maybe you should just trade the slicks for some Pep Boys Super Gold Miler Cadet Supreme tires.... bet your belts would not longer slip in the corners.....

What a forum! So many solutions to a simple problem. Maybe my lack of smoothness (thrashing around in the cockpit) is the problem. I just got a super wide lens for my in car video. After this race I will have film that may solve a lot of puzzles.
Old 04-20-2005, 02:22 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey;

- The belts should rise no more than 20 degrees to the shoulders on any install. Having them level is a DEFINITE advantage for HANS use. Otherwise, the front "tips" of the HANS collar will tend to rise in an impact. This tends to flip the straps off the collar. LEVEL IS BEST.

- Your belts should be positioned on the belt bar slightly narrower than the seat holes. This pulls them together in parallel when the belts are tensioned.

- You should strive for the shortest belt paths possible. 12" max if possible. The longer the path from bar to seat, the closer the belts should be to eachother on the bar. If you exceed 16" you should seriously consider crossing them.

All of these items alone will aid HANS retention. Taken together thay have a large effect.
Old 04-21-2005, 02:30 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

HANS says mounting points to the car also need to be set so that the inner edges of shoulder belt are no more than 3" apart which means they can be closer and the seat belt holes will determine the resting place. Hate to say it but if you guys think you have a problem of keeping the HANS on know just think of the violence of a crash...can you say "belt slipage=no retention"? Why is this never addressed with HANS. They only talk about the theoretical 1 dimensional straight crash. Maybe pro drivers are staying alive with HANS partly due to the device and the other part to the fact that even the NASCAR full containment seats act like a highly restrictive F1 cockpit.
Old 04-21-2005, 10:56 AM
PMS993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bill;

I think a "Hans" specific seat is the best fix for the slippage. Expensive option but it seems nearly all of the sports car racing organizations are beginning to require the use of the Hans, so...
Old 04-21-2005, 12:32 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

Bill,

I do not think the HANS spec seat does anything for retention. I think the HANS seat has more cutout to the rear of the headrest so that the HANS does not push your head down so you end up looking at your navel and that's it. The only way a seat would help retention from my understanding is if the seat is a full retention design and the non-HANS recaro for example has that too. IF the shoulder belt holes are closer together than standard then maybe that helps? Does anyone know if the Recaro HANS forexample has closer holes more along the line of HANS mount instructions for 3" max gap between the inner edges of the straps? I do think if you stay in the seat better the HANS should stay on you better but a 50g crash is very violent.
Old 04-21-2005, 01:29 PM
Howard
Racer

Bill,

I use the Schroth Hans compatible harness, no issues. The lap belt is 3" and the shoulders 2". It's important to retain the distance between the shoulder straps where they mount on the roll bar behind your seat. I use 2 nylon rod collars which will keep the straps from separating, the straps are slightly against the opening on the seat , closest to centerline of the seat. My seat is the Sparco Evo2, but it should not make a difference.
Dunlops- I've had tire failures with these, they cut VERY easily, also blew a couple on the OVAL, not fun. Going to Michelins.
Old 04-21-2005, 02:30 PM
PMS993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
Does anyone know if the Recaro HANS forexample has closer holes more along the line of HANS mount instructions for 3" max gap between the inner edges of the straps? I do think if you stay in the seat better the HANS should stay on you better but a 50g crash is very violent.
That is the primary difference between the old Recaros and the Hans Recaros.

I just think Bill, skinny guy that he is, just squirms too much when he drives. Maybe he should gain some weight and it wouldn't be an issue any more.
Old 04-21-2005, 03:03 PM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

pass the potato chips please...
Old 04-27-2005, 04:37 PM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by A930Rocket
Is it just me or do more people have more "problems" getting their Hans right than other H&N restraints?

I use the Isaac H&N and other than getting used to it, it was a snap.

Any thoughts?....
I agree, but then I am rather close to the subject.

The single best manual on the HANS device is from FIA, and can be found here: http://www.fia.com/resources/documen...HANS_Guide.pdf

Ignore dimension "B" in Fig. 8 on p6. This is under review; it's much too small.

Quick Reply: My Hans devise attacked me again & Dunlops