Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PRELIMINARY Autobahn Track Notes (long)

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2005, 04:41 PM
ColorChange
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PRELIMINARY Autobahn Track Notes (long)

OK, here are my VERY PRELIMINARY track notes for the Autobahn North course. I only got 5 sessions in before picking up a screw in a tire and having to have it patched. I was out for the first session during the snow. I guess I need to ad a new category for weather conditions to my data sheet. DISCLAIMER: These notes are based upon very limited track time and driver ability. Still I hope they will help and because the track is so new, they are probably better than nothing. Furthermore, my comments are made from the point of view of a 600+ horsepower 911 and will be fairly different in an n.a.944. I will update them when I get more time at the track.

Overall Comments: The track surface is new and is 40’ wide! Much wider than most tracks and should make for some great racing. The ground off of the track is very soft right now and you’ll dig in pretty deep if you go off (don’t ask me how I know that);(. The track seams like you could apex early in a lot of places but you usually can’t. As usual, start with late apexes and move them up. There are no brake markers or many marks (on such a new and green track) that is difficult to pick your visualization points. You might consider touring time to help with you vision and picking up points. There is little elevation change and little camber change. The track has big, tall ramped curbs and really big rumble strips that you generally want to stay away from. The track is quite safe overall and fairly short at 1.5 miles. It is relatively slow and tough on brakes for the bigger/faster cars. It feels similar to Gingerman and is and tighter than Putnam. They have EMT's on site and free wireless internet service. Gas is available, 93 octane $4/gal, 100 $5/gal, 104$6/gal.

Turn 1: Extremely fast. Starting over 110mph in my car so probably flat for most. Set up on the right side as usual and just stay to the inside so that you can do your serious braking in a straight line. For some cars you might need to begin braking while you are exiting 1 so be careful, kind of a reverse trail brake. I hit the entry to 1 at over 130 mph. Most cars are closer to 100 mph.

Turn 2: Extremely slow turn and deceptive. For my car (street tires and 37 degrees), I had to be below 45 mph to get near the apex. It is important for me to hit the apex because there is a decent straight and you want to get the power down. Do not take too much of the curb or rumble strips as they will upset the car.

Turn 3: Apex fairly late and carry a lot of speed. It is a compromise corner feeding into 4 and you probably will not be able to fully track out on 3 and have enough time to get back over to set up for 4.

Turn 4: A nice carousel that is pretty fast. Get on the throttle as early as you can and use all the track out as necessary. The late exit is very slightly off camber so pay attention and don’t carry too much speed. The arc on this turn is huge for me as I continue on the turn all the way until I hit the turn in for 5. There is no straight in my car.

Turn 5: After finishing the huge arc from 4, you need to quickly hit your turn-in speed for 5. I tap and turn in with a fairly quick transition as you go from hard left turn g’s to hard right turn g’s. Get on the throttle as early as possible as you can drift right across the apex and power down the straight, again, using all the track.

Turn 6: Biggest sucker turn on the track (2 is second) and the second most important. Ignore the first part of the turn. Ignore the first kink in the turn. Come into 6 braking deeply, stay way to the outside and DO NOT TURN IN EARLY! If you early apex here, you will hit huge rumble strips and probably have an off. Also, don’t bite off too much of the curb as it is tall and steep and will upset your car. You can take about ½ of the ramped section of the . If you hit it right, you can be on the power early, drift out to the end of the rumble strips at track out, and motor down the straight.

Turn 7: Big trail braking turn. Come in deep and fast. Don’t apex early in my car, this turn is compromised by the setup for 8 so I can’t fully track out and get about halfway across the track on exit before bringing it back it to set up for 8. Don’t take too big a bite of the curb or you’ll upset the car. Get on the throttle and concentrate on the entrance to 8.

Turn 8-9: I’ve put these two together as they work together and are so critical. If you blow 8 you’ve lost the exit on 9. 9 is the most important turn on the track because it feeds the biggest straight. Begin the entry to 8 all the way on the left, and brake deeply and slow quite a bit. Get the turn in and don’t worry too much about the apex. What is more important is too set yourself up for the exit rumble strips on 8 so that you are at the right speed and attitude so that you can get on the throttle as soon as possible entering 9. Once you hit the exit to 8, turn in and squeeze as much throttle as possible to come close to the apex at 9, but STAY ON THE THROTTLE. You have a wide track and I drift all the way through the exit of 8 until well through the exit of 9. I even have to shift while in a drift. This is real interesting and the people following me wondered what was going on all the time. By taking as early an apex on 9 as possible, you can get on the throttle earlier than most people who end up hugging the right side on the exit of 9.
Old 04-24-2005, 06:55 PM
DJ
Haiku Grasshoppa
Rennlist Member
Can I Drove Your Car?

Lap times?
Old 04-24-2005, 07:03 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where's this place at. (I know I ended the sentence with a preposition)

Bill Seifert

1987 944S Race Car
Old 04-24-2005, 07:42 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

CC,
I hope to make it to that track this summer (Bill, Joliet IL, BTW) thanks for the write up. Just curious how long the "half track" is and times. Also did the battery hold up? Make any difference in handling feel?
Thanks
Old 04-24-2005, 08:22 PM
ColorChange
Three Wheelin'

I really never got a shot at putting up a fast time as I was still working the track up and trying different lines. That was planned for Sunday but I had a brake problem and missed the day. The fastest I got was just under 1:13.

Greg, you've been in the right seat and your going to ask me if my driving can notice a 30 lb battery movement? Boy, when you pull a guys leg you rip it out of the socket don't you. My car was pretty close to neutral now and I am very happy with the balance but I think that was sway bar and tire pressure changes. The battery is rock solid.

I have data and videos for later.

Last edited by ColorChange; 04-24-2005 at 08:42 PM.
Old 04-24-2005, 09:29 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by ColorChange
I really never got a shot at putting up a fast time as I was still working the track up and trying different lines. That was planned for Sunday but I had a brake problem and missed the day. The fastest I got was just under 1:13.

Greg, you've been in the right seat and your going to ask me if my driving can notice a 30 lb battery movement? Boy, when you pull a guys leg you rip it out of the socket don't you. My car was pretty close to neutral now and I am very happy with the balance but I think that was sway bar and tire pressure changes. The battery is rock solid.

I have data and videos for later.
Thanks Tim. Sounds like a pretty short track. Wonder what the full course would be like?

Thanks for the good nature about my low (pun intended) attempt at humor. Hope to see you at Putnam or elsewhere this season.
Old 04-24-2005, 11:12 PM
ColorChange
Three Wheelin'

I knew you were giving me sh^t.

I should also add the exit of pit row is a little dangerous in that it spits you right out into a high speed braking zone (or flat out depending upon the car) so be careful.

I hope to see you as well Greg. I got another experienced racer/instructor sick again on Saturday while riding along.
Old 04-25-2005, 01:11 AM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by ColorChange
I hope to see you as well Greg. I got another experienced racer/instructor sick again on Saturday while riding along.
As you get smoother, Tim, you'll find that happens less.
Old 04-25-2005, 09:55 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

CC,
You ought to consider going to the TracQuest event at Mid Ohio in May. Lots of room to open up your car and it is thinking man's track. The organizer is Todd Serota and he might be a good resource for you as he has a mega hp 996GT2 and knows the track well. www.tracquest.com

Quick Reply: PRELIMINARY Autobahn Track Notes (long)