Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why does your PCA region host a club race?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2005, 09:33 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Why does your PCA region host a club race?

A simple question that I hope will evoke lots of commentary. I have some thoughts I'm holding back for now as to not influence the direction this thread might go - yet.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:24 AM
aeshultz
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a question that our Board has actually debated. I'll likewise hold off on personal views.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:27 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 63 Likes on 25 Posts

Never thought of that... why that would be abnormal? Do you mean that PCA National should host the races?
Old 12-09-2005, 10:34 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DJF1
Never thought of that... why that would be abnormal? Do you mean that PCA National should host the races?
I'm not trying to suggest any abnormality or that PCA National should host the races, just wondering what motivates one region to host a race while others choose not to.

To kick start the conversation a bit more, consider this additional question: why a race and not another DE?
Old 12-09-2005, 10:56 AM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Charlie - since no one else seems to want to respond ... it's maybe not the right time of day .... I'll start.

1. Regions can make money hosting a club race. The money can do back to the region to be spent wherever. Whether a region makes more on a race than a DE probably depends on the particular venue, date etc.

2. Some regions have a "deep track tradition". I'm thinking of a region like Potomac. They do tons of DEs, have lots of racers, have a very active membership, great leadership etc.

3. Gets members involved in things like flagging that might not otherwise even go to the track. They get an introduction to an activity other members find real enjoyment doing.

What happened to the Pocono race?
Old 12-09-2005, 12:19 PM
ZBlue996Kam
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm hoping that making money is not the top priority for hosting a club race.

I believe PCA is a not for profit organization. As long as the event don't lose money a region that is interested in racing and have the resources to do so should host a club race event.

After all, to me Porsche is racing and racing is Porsche. (I might be wrong on this one these days).

It has to do with the people who manage the region just like Porsche management to decide whether to race or not.

I personally is very disappointed by my local region who used to host club races and has stopped for the past couple of years.

I am also disappointed by Porsche for not participating in motor racing in the top category for the past couple of years.

However, I appreciate both my local region and Porsche for providing me with a well made car and driving events that I enjoy tremendously.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:43 PM
dzombek
Racer

This is a great question.

My .02 comes from being an active member in the club and have being an event chair. Although I don't race yet(Don't tell the wife), I love volunteering at these events so that the racers have a safe and fun time on the track.

I know our region does it because its a way to get the members who do race out on the track. But it is very expensive to host a race and we have come close to loosing money before. I believe the main desire for a region to host these event, Race and DE's, is to be attractive to exiting and new Porsche owners. Shows them the avenues that are possible for enjoying thier cars. And this helps to bring more members into the club, that only makes the family bigger(Hope that didn't sound weird).

David
Old 12-09-2005, 12:43 PM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Kam - Didn't say profitability is the top priority, but I suspect if the sponsor of the idea to host a club race started his presentation at the board meeting saying that he had a great idea for an event for the club that would probably lose money ... or maybe if we're lucky, breakeven ... I doubt the other members of the board would find that very persuasive.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:51 PM
Al P.
Pro

and as a side bar.....
Why do some regions seem to have a large contingent of volunteer workers for things like a club race while others seem to struggle to get folks to come out to help run an event?
Old 12-09-2005, 01:07 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We don't host a club race.

We have 5-6 DE/time trials per year but no races. When I asked, I was told it's simply due to expense - flying out 3-4 people from national and putting them up for a few days is not a trivial expense. We get plenty of race weekends from the clubs not affiliated with PCNA like PRC and POC, so we don't suffer from the lack of PCA races. There are generally two PCA races out here each year, I'm not sure who actually sponsors them (I'm guessing So Cal folk because it isn't Zone 7).

Our club is a non-profit. Most the money comes in from the time trial series, but the folk who participate in time trials are loathe (and rightfully so) to pay extra to support other club activities for other club members.
Old 12-09-2005, 01:23 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Because they can.

I am in the previously mentioned Potomac (Thanks for the kind words Dave!) and I think we hold it for many reasons that are all tied to the members and not to a profit. If there is a profit it is a windfall that is used to promote other activities for the members and not intent. I think e have had years where it was a negative cash flow event and most are close to break even overall. Last year ours was a 3 day event with many other events coupled with the races themselves. There was a concours and a rally to the track as well as other fun stuff for non racing PCA members to do as well.

As to volunteers numbers. Much can be said for having a large region to start with as there is a LOT involved in hosting a race. I also think that having seasoned capable folks at the top during planning and execution makes all the difference to the volunteers. When you think you are part of a class act you feel better about doing you part and don't feel that you wasted a weekend or get frustrated just trying to do you part.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:07 PM
Dick Dobson
Addict
Rennlist Member

I would like to think that our region and it's predecessors do it because we have a place where members can use their cars as they we intentionally bred to be used. It is a wonderful opportunity for any PCA member to get to know their car and what it is capable of at the limits. a facility like we have should not be wasted!
Old 12-09-2005, 02:08 PM
tntporsche
Instructor

NNJR lost the date for the club race several years ago and we have not been able to get it back . . . I tried to add a day to our September Porscherama event but I was unsuccessful.

Originally Posted by dave morris
Charlie - since no one else seems to want to respond ... it's maybe not the right time of day .... I'll start.

1. Regions can make money hosting a club race. The money can do back to the region to be spent wherever. Whether a region makes more on a race than a DE probably depends on the particular venue, date etc.

2. Some regions have a "deep track tradition". I'm thinking of a region like Potomac. They do tons of DEs, have lots of racers, have a very active membership, great leadership etc.

3. Gets members involved in things like flagging that might not otherwise even go to the track. They get an introduction to an activity other members find real enjoyment doing.

What happened to the Pocono race?
Old 12-09-2005, 03:41 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 63 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
I'm not trying to suggest any abnormality or that PCA National should host the races, just wondering what motivates one region to host a race while others choose not to.

To kick start the conversation a bit more, consider this additional question: why a race and not another DE?
Hmm...its a good question really... I bet something has ticked you off, but my humble opinion is that when I was with the LSR region, I kind of expected my region to host a race on my home race track. For some people its also a matter of distance, so if the local regions dont host a race we would be left with not many options if you dont want to travel 1000 miles lets say to Florida for Sebring or out east and midwest for the "big races". So as a member I would be rather dissapointed if my region would not host a race! Well, n my new region there is no hope as we dont really have any decent track , but in my old region I did have that expectation.
Old 12-09-2005, 04:14 PM
TREMPER
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Just to continue the thread, hosting a successful club race without significant sponsorship is hard versus running a successful DE. The volunteer level is atleast a factor of 5 or so higher for a club race. It takes about 30-40 hard working volunteers in registration and stagging as well as other jobs to run the race at Wakins Glen..The corresponding DE with the same number of entrants needs a volunteer base of about ten. The profit margins per entrant are about the same , we just charge more for the race to pick up the extra costs of track rental ( 2X vs DE), shirts, programs, National expenses, awards, etc..
We put on the club race to compliment the other Zone events. We host a tech weekend in Tech Tactics, Zone Concours and Rally, Zone DE, Zone two day autocross and a Club Race..so we cover all of the arenas of the club, but we have a large and very dedicated volunteer base, without which none of these events could occur.
Pete

Quick Reply: Why does your PCA region host a club race?