Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boxster engine issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 07:28 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a friend that just replaced a regular Boxster engine, and I believe he bought it from Pelican Parts.

One question, are you sure you can rebuild a Boxster motor? Our local independent Porsche guy, says you can't buy parts for either the 986 or 996 engines. Porsche doesn't want anyone rebuilding them but Porsche itself. I have wondered if that is really true.

Bill Seifert

1983 944 Race Car
Old 05-04-2006, 07:33 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NetManiac
Range 1 is "close to redline". Can't remember how close though. Redline is 7200, so I figure that's between 7000 and 7200.

Range 2 is "over redline". With revlimiters, obviously the only way to do this is to mis a shift.

According to the P-guys at the local dealership Range2 is not from missing a shift, but from the mechanical over-rev during heavy breaking-heel-toe. If the clutch goes out to early, the engine will be forced to "over-rev". You can feel this in the engine loading and avoid it by concentrating on the threshold braking release point. Again, real bummer on the engine. Oh and my friend had alot of the range2 ticks on his ECU.
Old 05-04-2006, 08:04 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol...

...seems people like to argue about missed shift vs. engine go boom issues all the time with respect to porsche waterbabies...

.....yet people like to give me grief about running my TIP 993 at DEs... I just smile as I keep up with them just fine and never have to worry about a missed shift or 'overrev'
Old 05-04-2006, 08:36 PM
NetManiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bill L Seifert
One question, are you sure you can rebuild a Boxster motor? Our local independent Porsche guy, says you can't buy parts for either the 986 or 996 engines. Porsche doesn't want anyone rebuilding them but Porsche itself. I have wondered if that is really true.
That is a question I have often pondered myself. I have heard the same rumors and found them difficult to believe. I am about to find out just how true it is. I have friends that have purchased internal parts for things such as transmissions. But I do not know about engines. We shall soon see.
Old 05-04-2006, 08:49 PM
NetManiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bobt993
According to the P-guys at the local dealership Range2 is not from missing a shift, but from the mechanical over-rev during heavy breaking-heel-toe. If the clutch goes out to early, the engine will be forced to "over-rev". You can feel this in the engine loading and avoid it by concentrating on the threshold braking release point. Again, real bummer on the engine. Oh and my friend had alot of the range2 ticks on his ECU.
OK, well semantics as the point was that a Range 2 is over redline, 7201 and over in my case. The ONLY way to get there with a revlimiter is to screw up a down shift (i.e. missed shift). Wether it's because I let the clutch out too soon or put it in the wrong gear.

It you do the math, 251 spark cycles means my engine spent a total of 690 MILLISECONDS at, or above 7201 RPM. Since I did it at least twice lets split that in half, which leaves 345 ms per instance. That's less than half a second, which tells me that however it got over redline I realized it and did what I could to remedy the situation and did it pretty quickly.
Old 05-04-2006, 09:00 PM
NetManiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ceboyd
lol...

...seems people like to argue about missed shift vs. engine go boom issues all the time with respect to porsche waterbabies...

.....yet people like to give me grief about running my TIP 993 at DEs... I just smile as I keep up with them just fine and never have to worry about a missed shift or 'overrev'
Yeah, I understand your point. I just found auto/tip just a tad too frustrating to drive on the street, much less that track.
Old 05-04-2006, 09:12 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Talking

Yeah, I understand your point. I just found auto/tip just a tad too frustrating to drive on the street, much less that track.

ah.. you didn't learn the little tricks to driving a tip at the track then... it has its own unique way to make sure you get a downshift with a blip of the gas just before you need to accelerate

...hard to explain what I mean but it's a bit counterintuitive and took me a whiile to get the hang of it..... *(just like I'm sure it will take me even more time to properly learn the heel-toe dance once I move onto something else that is manual gear box for the track)

but I can honestly say that I pull OUT of turns faster than any of my 993 stick counter parts (provided they haven't done the expesive trans mod and only the LWF mod on their NA 993) ..the guys with Trans mod I have NOT had the chance to go back-to-back with at the track so I can't comment on their
ability to accerlerate out of a turn compared to my lowley tip
Old 05-04-2006, 09:15 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mike,

Be sure and let us know if you can rebuild the Boxster motor. By the way, how much is a replacement long block from Porsche? I'll be sure and be sitting down when I read your reply.

Bill
Old 05-04-2006, 10:50 PM
bruinbro
Pro

Mike,
I'm in the same boat as you except I got a 2001 S engine relatively cheap as a replacement.

Ask Brad what he is doing with my engine. You might want to consider that.

Bro
Old 05-05-2006, 01:58 AM
NetManiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bill L Seifert
Mike,

Be sure and let us know if you can rebuild the Boxster motor. By the way, how much is a replacement long block from Porsche? I'll be sure and be sitting down when I read your reply.

Bill
Bill, the best quote I have so far is $7700 from the local dealer. And this is with the PCA discount. I just saw one on ebay earlier this evening for $6990. Both factory remanufactured with 2 year warrenty. However, once you add in the core charge both the numbers will likely end up somewhere north of $10K. And since I plan to continue racing this car, I really, really want a spare. Then the next time this happens its ~$1K for the motor swap and I'm back on track the following weekend.

And yes, I will be digging this thread back up once the swap, and then the rebuild are complete. So keep your subscription to this thread and you will know what I know shortly after I know it.
Old 05-05-2006, 02:07 AM
NetManiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ceboyd
ah.. you didn't learn the little tricks to driving a tip at the track then... it has its own unique way to make sure you get a downshift with a blip of the gas just before you need to accelerate

...hard to explain what I mean but it's a bit counterintuitive and took me a whiile to get the hang of it..... *(just like I'm sure it will take me even more time to properly learn the heel-toe dance once I move onto something else that is manual gear box for the track)

but I can honestly say that I pull OUT of turns faster than any of my 993 stick counter parts (provided they haven't done the expesive trans mod and only the LWF mod on their NA 993) ..the guys with Trans mod I have NOT had the chance to go back-to-back with at the track so I can't comment on their
ability to accerlerate out of a turn compared to my lowley tip
Hmmm, interesting. If I ever get up to IL (or you get down to CA) I'll have to get you to show me how that's done. I am always open to learning new driving techniques, especially if it means making the most out of all these tips I run across.
Old 05-05-2006, 02:09 AM
NetManiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bruinbro
Mike,
I'm in the same boat as you except I got a 2001 S engine relatively cheap as a replacement.

Ask Brad what he is doing with my engine. You might want to consider that.

Bro
Bro, I guess he finally got a chance to break yours down. Not sure what he's going to do with it now. I'm considering a lot of options at the moment. So we'll see.
Old 05-05-2006, 03:04 AM
bruinbro
Pro

Bro, I guess he finally got a chance to break yours down. Not sure what he's going to do with it now. I'm considering a lot of options at the moment. So we'll see.
Ask him. You will be entertained at the very least.

Bro
Old 05-05-2006, 03:12 AM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

hmmm.. so it sounds like a replacement boxster engine costs about the same as buying a used 993 engine (from what I've seen anyway)... very interesting....
Old 05-05-2006, 03:13 AM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Hmmm, interesting. If I ever get up to IL (or you get down to CA) I'll have to get you to show me how that's done. I am always open to learning new driving techniques, especially if it means making the most out of all these tips I run across.

sure.. just LMK...

..as long as I still have my car at the time

Quick Reply: Boxster engine issues