Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Why is it H&N restraint posts always end up the same
Hey... he started it! .....

Old 06-26-2006, 08:00 AM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You race a mini and are a HANS expert? Sunday Drover races sports cars at the Runoffs and was probably the first Rennlister to buy a HANS back before they were fashionable and all the frenchmen were wearing them and you have the nuts to call him out?

Time to break into the bank and buy a clue.
Old 06-26-2006, 08:46 AM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

I didn't talk with H&D, but I did talk to the SB people before ai took a course with them. They told me to leave my sports car HANS at home because the seating postion in their cars was so different. Just another data point for what it's worth.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:09 AM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
I didn't talk with H&D, but I did talk to the SB people before ai took a course with them. They told me to leave my sports car HANS at home because the seating postion in their cars was so different. Just another data point for what it's worth.
Exactly - you can not go in that direction. I tired to use a 20 in a SB car and it pushes the helmet up so that you can not see well. But if you have a 30 or 40, you can use it in an upright seating position. It works fine one direction, but not the other because of the shape of the different models.

And yes, to reiterate, I spoke to HD and got their input on this. Anyone who is contemplating this should check with them firsthand.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:14 AM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by onasled
Sorry sparky, I didn't realize this forum was under your critique. Next time I post here I will PM it to you for your approval first.
That's OK - you don't need my approval to post. Nor do I or anyone else need your approval to call "Bull****" when it is appropriate.

You posted safety info without validating it and without personal experience.
That is no different than the guy who posted about the huge number of cars crashing at 140mph with almost no injuries, proving how safe DEEs were.
That is no different that GhettoRacer and his assertions that he can control a car regardless of what happens on the track.
You are in fine company.

Unlike most boards, this one tends to provide accurate, thoughtful advice - rather than the Roadfly approach of "He who is loudest and posts the same BS the most times is right". As long as this forum is based on quality info, I will continue to participate and to call "BS" when I see it. When it becomes another Roadfly, I will be gone.

But I suspect you already knew all of that.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:15 AM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by onasled
Hey... he started it! .....

Yes, I did. And I will continue to do that whenever I see such BS posted, as long as I choose to participate here.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:25 AM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SundayDriver
Yes, I did. And I will continue to do that whenever I see such BS posted, as long as I choose to participate here.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:56 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK, just because it is Monday, the weather is crappy, and I feel like stirring the pot, did you see what Joey Hand said regarding his Hans after the wreck? http://www.grandamerican.com/News/Article.asp?ID=6724

"When it was all said and done, I came to a stop upside down. I was still in the seat, and the first thing I noticed was my right shoe was off. I blew my right shoe off and my right glove somehow. I unbuckled myself and fell down out of the car onto the roof. There was fuel running down my back and into the roof of the car, and oil and stuff. The corner workers were yelling to get out of the car because it was going to catch fire, and I couldn't get out because my HANS device was stuck in the window net, and the window was smaller than normal.

I went back in and tried to get my helmet off and then they called me back out again, and then they finally got me out with my HANS and everything on. I just climbed out and laid against the wall. We were too close to the car, still, so they dragged me up the way and worked on me from there."

(emphasis added)

It might have been the same with any H&N restraint device, but this is of concern to me. I have the ISAAC with the quick release pull pins. Once I pull the pins, the only thing attached to my head and body is normal harnesses and a normal helmet. My only worry is that corner workers may not understand how to pull the quick release pins if I am not conscious.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:02 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Did you also see this part?
FWIW I believe that the HANS is the only device that GA lets drivers use.

: What about the HANS Device?

HAND: That's number two for me and the HANS Device. That's the second time the HANS Device saved me. They said there's no way I could have survived the impacts without the HANS Device. It saved me again. In (a Toyota Atlantic car at) Milwaukee it saved me and here it saved me. I won't drive without it if I have a chance. Not many people can say that they hit hard enough to have a HANS Device save them twice. Whatever, we'll go on.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:08 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Fishman
Did you also see this part?
FWIW I believe that the HANS is the only device that GA lets drivers use.

: What about the HANS Device?

HAND: That's number two for me and the HANS Device. That's the second time the HANS Device saved me. They said there's no way I could have survived the impacts without the HANS Device. It saved me again. In (a Toyota Atlantic car at) Milwaukee it saved me and here it saved me. I won't drive without it if I have a chance. Not many people can say that they hit hard enough to have a HANS Device save them twice. Whatever, we'll go on.
Yes, I am pretty confident that all of the major H&N devices would do a great job of protecting you in their primary function. My personal concern is with getting out of the car quickly in the event of a fire. Also, note that I said that it might have been exactly the same with any H&N restraint.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:10 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,488 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Originally Posted by SundayDriver
Exactly - you can not go in that direction. I tired to use a 20 in a SB car and it pushes the helmet up so that you can not see well. But if you have a 30 or 40, you can use it in an upright seating position. It works fine one direction, but not the other because of the shape of the different models.
ah... got it mark.
that's what i did, i have a 20 (my own) and tried it in a SB car. doesn't work, just like how you decribed, pushed helmet up.
but i never tried the other way, 30 or 40 (dont have one) in a street car.
thanx for the clarification.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:14 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by TD in DC
It might have been the same with any H&N restraint device, but this is of concern to me. I have the ISAAC with the quick release pull pins. Once I pull the pins, the only thing attached to my head and body is normal harnesses and a normal helmet. My only worry is that corner workers may not understand how to pull the quick release pins if I am not conscious.
I can disconnect my HANS from the helmet in about 2 seconds. I get into the car with it off, and then connect it to the helmet each time. The issues is that during a panic situation, all bets are off. Having been inverted, I have at least a little first hand experience in this.

Btw Sunday, your post are always informative and based in fact. Thanks for posting here.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:22 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TD in DC
Not wishing to turn this into yet another H&N restraint product war, but with the R3, nothing needs to be disconnected in order to pull a driver out. And since it is 'form-fitting' to the driver's body, it shouldn't get caught on anything...

-Z.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:32 AM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh boy, here we go again. The R3 has a section that sticks up behind the helmet similar to the Hans, so there is no reason to think it would be any different. Personally, I think all H&N devices would have caused a problem trying to get out, but without one, he may not have been alive to try. As Colin said, the Hans can be removed from the helmet, but in a panic situation, you are not thinking, you are reacting.

So no matter what you H&N you use, practice getting out of the car with it on, or practice disconnecting it or what ever until it is an instinct. I practice releasing my Isaac quickly with one hand after every run.

Quick Reply: Hans Device