Sponsored by:

Hans Device

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 09:29 PM
Roscoe
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hans Device

Guys, I track my GT3 a couple of times a year and have started in on the Skip Barber Race Series. I am considering a HANS device mostly for the Skip Series, but wonder if the 30 degree will work in the GT3. Any and all comments on this and HANS generally welcome.
Old 06-23-2006, 10:23 PM
onasled
Instructor

No, it really won't.
Old 06-23-2006, 10:44 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,487 Likes on 2,271 Posts

indeed, you need two different hans for gt3 and the skip cars.
Old 06-23-2006, 10:49 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I believe one of the only H&N restraints that can go from a sedan to a open wheel cockpit is the ISAAC.
Old 06-23-2006, 11:19 PM
bruinbro
Pro

Originally Posted by ltc
I believe one of the only H&N restraints that can go from a sedan to a open wheel cockpit is the ISAAC.
I'm an ISSAC fan, but won't the R-3 work?

Bro
Old 06-23-2006, 11:29 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

It may, but I don't recall anyone ever posting that it did.
I know there have been folks with an ISAAC who have used it in both types of cars.
Old 06-23-2006, 11:41 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

It would appear as though the R3 is similar to the HANS in that you must order a specific R3 to be compatible with your seating::
http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/group.asp?GroupID=R3

Formula car seats:
http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pro...p?Product=9570
Sedan seats:
http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pro...p?Product=9572
Karts:
http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pro...p?Product=9317
(I am still unsure as to whether or not I would feel comfortable wtih my son wearing a karting R3....just doesn't seem quite right given the nature of karting)
Old 06-24-2006, 02:29 AM
AndyT
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there are a few Hans devices. They are designated by the angle as to which the driver sits against the seat. I am driving a 993 turbo with Recaro race seats. I am using a Hans 30 degree device. As I have heard from people that have been to the Hans information session to become authorized dealers the steeper the degree the more horizontal the driver is. So in a Skip Barber open wheel car you's need a 10 or 20 degree HANS since you are basically laying flat in the car. Check wth Bob at Stable Energies for the most accurate story. www.stableenergies.com
Old 06-24-2006, 09:47 AM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by onasled
No, it really won't.
Originally Posted by mooty
indeed, you need two different hans for gt3 and the skip cars.
Why do you say that? Have you guys ever tried different models in different cars?

I have done that a lot with various HANS models and as long as you try to make it work more upright than the model designation, it seems to work fine.
Old 06-25-2006, 09:14 PM
esq996tt
Rennlist Member

I have a 30 I bought when I did a couple of Skippy races in 04 and 05. I am racing a Boxster now and had the same concern. I am using it without any problems. Edwin.
Old 06-25-2006, 09:45 PM
onasled
Instructor

Originally Posted by esq996tt
I have a 30 I bought when I did a couple of Skippy races in 04 and 05. I am racing a Boxster now and had the same concern. I am using it without any problems. Edwin.
But you guys are using it wrong!
Hans obviously has not made these different model for comfort issues. If you are using a 30 degree when a 20 degree is called for then you are not getting the benefit of the correct Hans. You are in fact giving up 10 degrees of restraint which means your head will move a few more inches forward in a head on crash.
You guys are smart enough to get a Hans in the first place, so it baffles me that you would use it incorrectly.

The only people who should be answering this question in the first place is Hans. Just call them. I doubt they will tell you that you need a new one just to make money off you.
Old 06-25-2006, 10:13 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

But you guys are using it wrong!
Hans obviously has not made these different model for comfort issues. If you are using a 30 degree when a 20 degree is called for then you are not getting the benefit of the correct Hans. You are in fact giving up 10 degrees of restraint which means your head will move a few more inches forward in a head on crash.
You guys are smart enough to get a Hans in the first place, so it baffles me that you would use it incorrectly.
I guess I am just a dumb F%^K racer who doesn't know enough to come out of the rain. Heck I am lucky to have been promoted to the second grade, last year. Yep, I just like to make stuff up instead of calling Hubbard-Downing about their product. I didn' realize you spoke to their engineers and identifed how much further your head will move for each 10 degree change in model. I guess I was just too stoopid to understand them when I called for advice about using different models in different cars - they must have been speaking at a 4th grade level - well beyond me.

The only people who should be answering this question in the first place is Hans. Just call them. I doubt they will tell you that you need a new one just to make money off you.
Then why did you answer the question in the first place?
Old 06-25-2006, 10:29 PM
onasled
Instructor

Sorry sparky, I didn't realize this forum was under your critique. Next time I post here I will PM it to you for your approval first.
Old 06-25-2006, 11:09 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Greg Fishman
That is why I stayed out of this thread. IMO if you want advice about the HANS go straight to the source not to a web board.
Well, I had personal experience and had spoken to H-D about that topic and the question was asked - so I offered what I knew and what the manufacturer had told me. I don't think I will repeat that mistake again.
Old 06-25-2006, 11:22 PM
onasled
Instructor

Originally Posted by SundayDriver
Well, I had personal experience and had spoken to H-D about that topic and the question was asked - so I offered what I knew and what the manufacturer had told me. I don't think I will repeat that mistake again.
No, that's not how it went down. If you had spoken with Hans then it in was no way reflected in your first post
Originally Posted by SundayDriver
.....I have done that a lot with various HANS models and as long as you try to make it work more upright than the model designation, it seems to work fine.
I just think you are on damage control myself ...

Quick Reply: Hans Device