Sponsored by:

CV Boot Ripped-Trackable?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 08:28 PM
bauerjab
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Question CV Boot Ripped-Trackable?

I just found out my inside passenger rear CV boot is ripped.

It is a slit about 1/2 inch. I figure it ripped at my last event at Watkins Glen. I see some of the CV grease on my muffler and starter. Not a lot.

Can I make four DE runs?? Can I cause alot of damage if I do run and the joint fails? Is it dangerous?

Thanks in advance

John
Old 07-24-2006, 08:55 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

John;

You really should have the joint serviced before you drive at speed again. With a tear that small, you may not have any serious degredation of the joint... yet. Rest assured it will fail quickly as the rip gets bigger (which it will, quickly) and more crap gets in there.

Imagine a 5lb steel bar whipping around under there at ?number-x1000 rpm. A CV joint is NOT something you want to take chances with.
Old 07-24-2006, 09:49 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by bauerjab
ICan I make four DE runs?? Can I cause alot of damage if I do run and the joint fails? Is it dangerous?
4 runs? You'll probably make it.
Damage? If it failed in a turn, you would lose all power...and that could be interesting
Dangerous? At least a little.

That said, I would try to replace before the event. But if I discovered it at an event, I would likely keep going (well actually I have a spare half shaft, so I would just replace it at the event ).

Originally Posted by RedlineMan
A CV joint is NOT something you want to take chances with.
Agreed. You can replace the whole half shaft in an hour max. It's really an easy job to do (other than getting the big honking nut off the end).
Old 07-24-2006, 10:01 PM
Big6Dad
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

John,
That would not pass pre tech for NNJR-PCA. Not worth the chance. As has been stated, you can replace a whole half shaft in an hour or less...
Old 07-24-2006, 10:18 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm assuming from the picture it's a 911. They can't be that much harder to replace than a 944. It's an hour and a half job for a clutz like me. Do it.

Bill Seifert

1983 944 Race Car
Old 07-24-2006, 10:30 PM
JPhillips-998
Cows-4-Rent
Rennlist Member

That would not pass pre tech for NNJR-PCA
Are you really saying that NNJR-PCA is going to jack up cars and check axles for a pre-tech??? I've never seen more that a torque wrench and flash light at any pre-tech inspection.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:38 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Now that he's told everyone, they're oln the look out....

I replaced both my axles and had to replace 3 out of 4 boot w/in a year. Now I keep one with me when I go to the track.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:58 PM
Manny Alban
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

At the Putnam Club Race I noticed grease when I was switching tires. Upon inspection, it turned out to be a 2" tear in the outer boot. Fortunately someone had a replacement boot. Also, it was fortunate that I caught it before it did more damage. I did the two sprint races and the top gun race with no problems. However, the car went right to the shop after the race weekend to have them serviced
Old 07-24-2006, 11:23 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Originally Posted by JPhillips-998
Are you really saying that NNJR-PCA is going to jack up cars and check axles for a pre-tech??? I've never seen more that a torque wrench and flash light at any pre-tech inspection.
Many PCA regions require a pre-track tech inspection, which includes a thorough under-car inspection on a lift. PCA Potomac runs a free tech inspection usually two weeks before each event. This gives people enough time to fix most things that turn up in the inspection. Techs can also be done by several area shops.

Like NNJR, a torn CV boot would fail Potomac tech - no question. Torn tierod end boots are another. Misadjusted wheel bearings, cracked rotors, loose bolts, lousy repair work; tech sees it all. You might be surprised at some of the things that are found. Mostly, they are things that could result in a mechanical failure on track. Its rare to see anyone who has passed tech have a mechanical during the event.

The track tech you are talking about is in addition to the pre-tech. Track tech is designed to weed out obvious things that some guys just forget.
Old 07-25-2006, 06:08 AM
bauerjab
Burning Brakes

thanks everyone. i will fix it before i go.
Old 07-25-2006, 07:42 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

My advice parallels 38D's - get it fixed and carry a replacement halfshaft with you, if you have the room in/on your trailer/tow vehicle. It's an easy replacement at the track and will save a weekend, I know this for a fact.

Try being 1350mi. from home at a Club Race and figuring out your axle is about to be trashed.

I did finish the weekend, being that a fellow Club Racer had a spare CV boot...but when I got home, I ordered a replacement and set the axle I took off aside for an emergency spare.

Now I'll NEVER have CV troubles again - right? ...kinda like rain tires, if you leave them at home, it'll rain, if you bring them, it won't.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:03 AM
bauerjab
Burning Brakes

It looks like the repair is fairly straightforward. Do I need any special tools. Is it as simple as taking off the hex bolts, removing the CV clip, sliding off the joint, and then replacing the boot?

I have a lift at home, so I can get underneath the car.

Also, I assume I'll need new bolts, washers, etc?

Is that also true.

Thanks

John
Old 07-25-2006, 09:28 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bauerjab
It looks like the repair is fairly straightforward. Do I need any special tools. Is it as simple as taking off the hex bolts, removing the CV clip, sliding off the joint, and then replacing the boot?

I have a lift at home, so I can get underneath the car. Also, I assume I'll need new bolts, washers, etc? Is that also true.
Hey; You've got it covered. You should also clean the joint of all grease and re-lube it. You can make sure there is no contamination (which will kill the joint fast) and inspect it for wear when it is clean. If you take the joint completely apart (which I avoid if possible), you will spend some time trying to figure out how it goes back together again. I don't bother with new bolts. I've never had a problem with reusing my 22-year-old originals. If I had a high powered car, I might replace them.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:02 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Originally Posted by JPhillips-998
Yep.
Like Potomac, NNJR holds a free tech inspection at one of the local Porsche shops. If a DE participant can't attend that tech inspection, he must take his car to an approved tech site (typically any of the local shops that support our club) and have them do an inspection. There's a two-page checklist on our website that the tech inspectors follow.

Frankly, I wouldn't want to take my car out on the track without someone giving it a good look over on a lift.

-Z-man, past NNJR Track tech co-chair
Old 07-25-2006, 10:48 AM
doyle
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The job is easy enough. I once replaced a shaft on my 944 on my lunch break in a shirt and tie. No sweat, no dirt (except on hands).

Quick Reply: CV Boot Ripped-Trackable?