Sponsored by:

Control Arms - 968

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2001, 06:32 PM
Jeff95M030
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Control Arms - 968

After a few track events in my 1995 968 M030, I am sensing a looseness in the steering at speed. Before the season started the dealer replaced the inner mounts for the control arms with factory parts and I had an excellent track alignment done at a local shop (Autobahn Performance in Peabody, MA). It started out tight, but I can now feel a looseness in the steering at speed, especially just off center. Nothing loose when the car is tech'ed. Any ideas on what to inspect further from folks that race a 968 or similar 944?

By the way, if in the northeast, be sure to get up to the new, improved Le Circuit in Mt. Tremblant, Canada. It has not lost the *pucker factor* of the original, but it's a world class track with excellent safety improvements and a perfect new surface...

Thanks. >JM
Old 09-02-2001, 11:47 PM
Coleco
Instructor

I am no expert, so you may want to wait for someone who actually knows what they are talking about.

I would look at the Tie Rod Ends and check the control arm bushings, but like you said they were just replaced so I wouldn't think that would be the problem. However they were replace with rubber and if you were running hard they could be gone already. Were you running race tires or street tyres(getting euro on ya )? The tracks you went to, were they tight auto-x type tracks, or sweepers?

If you do find that the rubber bushings need to be replaced, you may want to go with Spherical Bushings.

I live the next town over from Peabody. How do you like Autobahn Performance? Your coming all the way from VT you must like them. Do you patron any other shops in NE? Do they(Autobahn) have computer pad scales for corner balancing?
Old 09-03-2001, 10:01 AM
Adam Richman
Pro

JM, I have a few thoughts but not sure any of them are IT. One, I need to turn my bearings about 1/8th of a turn seemingly after every track weekend. Two, after my last event(and I might be the only one who has ever had this happen) all of my adjustment eccentrics were tightened by one hand on a wrench (way too loose) and my alignment was pushed to one side (loss of camber on one side and a gain on the other). Three, check the ball joints (not sure if that would give you the effect you describe)??? Four, I flopped my tires on the rims up front due to excessive wear on the outer shoulders and for the first time this past weekend, I noticed a lot of shimmy at high speeds (but with the suspension loaded, it was true) so are there any possible tire wear issues?

I think that explaining to my mechanic exactly what I am doing with the car has him approaching it differently. If he does the bearings, he tightens them down more than he does on any other car. He did my alignment last and he tighened the **** out of the bolts. I don't know if this helps but thought I would try.

Best of luck
Old 09-13-2001, 05:13 PM
belz
Instructor

Jeff-
are you checking the car while in the air?
I know this sound elementary but unless your suspension is unloaded it will be difficult to determine the cause.
As mentioned previuosly: check the ball joints for play and the tie rod ends.
Grab the tire/wheel and move it side to side and back and forth. Look for movement in the strut top and bottom and wheel bearing play.
Good luck ... I had a similar issue and it was a failing ball joint.

Quick Reply: Control Arms - 968