Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 / 951 Locked rear axle

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2002, 05:12 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
To George about the 944 Turbo S Trans, ;Yea, I know it would be illegal, as a matter of fact Albert said the same thing, but in the SE as far back as we run in the class, I guess he doesnt worry about that, as in who protests the guy in 23d position.

I have just gotten a 924 S trans that has the correct 5th gear, and have found an Audi trans that has the 4-11 ring and pinion. I have a limited slip that is in another trans. Total cost so far is $450, now all I have to do is put the three things together. I know I don't have the ability to do it, so I bet it will cost me at least $400 to #500 to get it done. But, I should have a good transmission for about $1,000.
Old 09-04-2002, 05:50 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[quote]Originally posted by Bill L Seifert:
<strong>To George about the 944 Turbo S Trans, ;Yea, I know it would be illegal, as a matter of fact Albert said the same thing, but in the SE as far back as we run in the class, I guess he doesnt worry about that, as in who protests the guy in 23d position.
</strong><hr></blockquote>

You mean 2nd or 3rd don't you?

You're far too modest. I've seen your name in the Record Book section of Sports Car (yeah, I'm one of the nerds that does read it). I see on 5/25 you took second at Memphis and third at Gateway on 5/11.

<strong>I have just gotten a 924 S trans that has the correct 5th gear, and have found an Audi trans that has the 4-11 ring and pinion. I have a limited slip that is in another trans. Total cost so far is $450, now all I have to do is put the three things together. I know I don't have the ability to do it, so I bet it will cost me at least $400 to #500 to get it done. But, I should have a good transmission for about $1,000.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Wow. Way cool on the R&P and the LSD. Those are both things I'm sort of keeping an eye out for, but I still have too many other things I need first (like a job so I can spend my budget rather than hold it in reserve). Did any of the Audi gearboxes come with LSD? Might be a cheaper source. I'm just too new to the 944 to know this.
Old 09-04-2002, 06:50 PM
special tool
Banned

A turbo car with a 350mm +/- wheel and welded spiders would break your thumbs, wouldn't it? Also, you wouldn't need too much castor.
Old 09-05-2002, 08:25 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
To George,

The Audi trans does not have a LSD, but the mechanic I use sometimes, suggested using the Audi Trans in the 944. He said the 944 LSD should fit. The bad thing is that all the gears in 1st thru 5th are different, which makes the whole thing illegal for ITS, but again who's going to protest. But, I think I will try to put the Audi Ring and Pinion in the 944 box, thought it looks like it is going to be a pain. If you try this be careful. Audi 5000 80-81 has 4-11 gears, 82-85 has 3-89 gears, and 86 goes back to 4-11. The trans we found in Atlanta, is an 86, or so they say. He did say money back if it is wrong.

About the job, I'm between jobs now, also. As you know "WORK" is the curse of the racing class

Bill
Old 09-05-2002, 08:52 PM
Geo
Race Director

<strong>About the job, I'm between jobs now, also.
</strong><hr></blockquote>

Ouch. Sorry to hear that.

<strong>As you know "WORK" is the curse of the racing class</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hehe.

The sad part for me is that my budget is finally coming together and I have the time to work in it, BUT I will not spend that money on the car as long as I might need it for a safety valve.

Then again, I might at least get the tubing and put the cage in once somone else is through with the bender and notcher.

Quick Reply: 944 / 951 Locked rear axle