Sponsored by:

My Buyers Guide for Airjack Equipment

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 04:32 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts
Default My Buyers Guide for Airjack Equipment

I figured I would post the information I got while sourcing airjacks. It seems that there is no "one stop shopping" place to get everything you need.

Wand purchased at www.cupcarsolutions.com
SpeedWand
This wand allows you to control the pressure at the wand, so that the jack will deploy more slowly and last longer. You can do the same thing with the regulator, but I figured for a few extra $s, this was easier.
$495

Nitrogen Tank & Regulator purchased at www.weldingdepot.com

Nitrogen Regulator CGA-580 30 - 450 PSI 452N-450 Single Stage
I got this one. Most airjacks have a max pressure of between 20 and 40 bar. THe only reason to run them that high is they will lift faster. They can be run at 10-15 bar in most case just fine. 450psi is just around 30 bar, so I figured that was plenty. I do not have adjustable shocks, so those may require something different
3000 PSI Max Inlet
Working 30 - 450 PSI Max
2" Gauges
Two Year Warranty
UL Approved
$84.70
Listed under Cutting & Brazing Equip.-->Flowmeters & Regulators

Nitrogen Cylinder 40 CU. FT. CGA-580 - Industrial Quality
In CT, you need a permit to own anything bigger (not sure about other states). This should be plenty big enough to run the jacks all season and then some.
22" H x 6-3/4" Dia.
$175.30
Listed under Cutting & Brazing Equip.-->Cylinders

Hose purchased at www.bsrproducts.com
IRR.PH.2035 - 3/8 YELL AIR JACK HOSE-35ft

BSR pit tools 3/8" 35 foot Gorrila air hose (made by goodyear)
500 PSI for use with air wand
$89.90

I will need a few adapter to get from the hose to the wand, but most people seemed to thing good old Home depot brass fittings were fine for that.
Attached Images     
Old 02-16-2007, 08:26 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get two hoses....sometimes the inner wall bleeds out and balloons the outer yellow casing resulting in slow leaks. You will eventually find that one tank does not go very far esp if you are going to use air tools/impact wrenches.
Also, close the regulator between each use while at the track; fittings will also find a way to have lost some N2 thus being insufficient to lift the car( so don't forget your low profile NASCAR hand jack).

You will also need a regulator cage if you are planning to take the bottle to the pit wall. (can't have the regulator getting knocked off of the bottle There is a guy at TRG who used to make them. Nice aluminum diamond plate step on the cage to stand on while at the pit wall. Its good to have in the paddock as well if you plan on taking the bottle out of the trailer for safety reasons.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:34 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by leif997
Get two hoses....sometimes the inner wall bleeds out and balloons the outer yellow casing resulting in slow leaks. You will eventually find that one tank does not go very far esp if you are going to use air tools/impact wrenches.
Also, close the regulator between each use while at the track; fittings will also find a way to have lost some N2 thus being insufficient to lift the car( so don't forget your low profile NASCAR hand jack).

You will also need a regulator cage if you are planning to take the bottle to the pit wall. (can't have the regulator getting knocked off of the bottle There is a guy at TRG who used to make them. Nice aluminum diamond plate step on the cage to stand on while at the pit wall. Its good to have in the paddock as well if you plan on taking the bottle out of the trailer for safety reasons.
Thanks for the advice. I definitely wanted a cage for the regulator, but had not found one I like yet. I will check out TRG!
Old 02-16-2007, 11:38 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Colin, you can rent the larger tanks which is what I've done.
Old 02-17-2007, 09:05 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
Colin, you can rent the larger tanks which is what I've done.
Yes, I did think about that, but figured this would be easier. I don't plan to run air tools off it (I already have a elec impact gun), so I think the 40 cu ft should last decently. Plus, they are cheap to refill anyway.
Old 02-17-2007, 09:33 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I have the largest one in my trailer and use it only for air jacks, filling tires, and my remote reservior shocks when I check and adjust the pressure each track day. It is a year old and I still haven't used 1/2 of it yet.
Old 02-17-2007, 03:05 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nitrogen regulator cage found the link for the regulator cages. he also makes custom airjack safety stands.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:39 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Old thread, but thought I would provide one update on buying air jacks related stuff. I'd suggest a bigger tank (80 cu ft or bigger) as a 40 will really only last one weekend.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:23 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Now I find this! Thanks tho ... This shd be part of a must read/reference thread - everything you need in one place.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:28 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Anyone know where to get an early cup sobek dump valve?
Old 10-25-2012, 10:33 AM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

The link for the air hose is out of date. I bought mine from Amazon with free "Prime" shipping. I could not find it locally. I also had a devil of a time finding the fittings rated for 500 psi. I think I had to settle for one just rated 400 psi. The wand that came with the car uses industrial fittings, and the high psi fittings seem to be more readily available in the automotive style. I didn;t know there were so MANY styles!

Quick Reply: My Buyers Guide for Airjack Equipment