Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Melo bumped Jorg!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 02:07 PM
carreracup21
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw several driving mistakes by Melo as well. His team botched the pit stop and cost him a 20 second penalty. No fresh tires and then Jorg reeled in about 20 seconds after that. I certainly don't believe Melo is a better driver than Jorg nor do I believe that F team is better than the Lizards. What they do have is a faster car, as anyone could plainly see in the final drag race down the back straight.
Old 03-18-2007, 02:24 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

I just studied all the replays. I take my comment back. There was nothing Jorg could have done. turn 17 is a double apex, he got the inside of the first apex and even gave the ferarri racing room on the inside, and due to his speed, he couldnt have really gone narrower. the ferarri took the inside spot, though still behind and then at the second apex exit, the ferarri, bumped the porsche. that was enough to unsettle the car and give him the edge. the second bump (and third) were kind of after the fact. I can see why Jorg was upset.

MK

Originally Posted by mark kibort
You know what, you are right. sometimes you have to make your own luck. he made a terrific move to the inside, should have kept it narrow all the way around the exit. Then, he wouldnt have been in the situation he got in.
I still dont like the "punt to pass" move, but it was close racing and we have seen this before.

Remember the speedGT race last year or the season before where the caddliac did this, But the porsche he was passing trying to paas took a way narrow and slow line on the exit, so much so, the caddilac was going to do a sissor and couldnt slow down and punted the porsche. the caddilac was penalized, even though in that case, the porsche didnt need to block on the exit.

Mk
Old 03-18-2007, 02:40 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kary993
Perhaps the better team won...not sure...but I saw Melo make quite a few mistakes on that last lap land et Jorg back in there. Not usre Melo was handling the pressue so well, was he the best driver/team. That is questionable.

Yes his tires were going off but that was a decision they made to stay ahead. Yes they were penalized, part of racing I am afraid. As I said, good race until half way through the last turn. I can win every race I am in if I punt people that way...that is not good racing. There will be some firewaroks later this season at some point you can bet.
There was no punting , all the contact was side to side , i can tell you this you will get no agreement from any pro driver that they would not have defended their lead like Melos... It was not jorg's lead he was trying to claim it , it was the ferrari that led the way , he did what he had to do and if i was Jorg's boss i would have punted him in the *** for complaining after being outfoxed,...
then again the ALMS agrees, the immeadiate arrogance by Jorg after the race on the radio about filing a protest is , well ,Hmm can i say , girlie .....
Old 03-18-2007, 02:45 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mark kibort
I just studied all the replays. I take my comment back. There was nothing Jorg could have done. turn 17 is a double apex, he got the inside of the first apex and even gave the ferarri racing room on the inside, and due to his speed, he couldnt have really gone narrower. the ferarri took the inside spot, though still behind and then at the second apex exit, the ferarri, bumped the porsche. that was enough to unsettle the car and give him the edge. the second bump (and third) were kind of after the fact. I can see why Jorg was upset.

K

Spot on mark , He was outdriven ...... then cried
Old 03-18-2007, 02:52 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

One of things somewhat over looked here is Jorg could have punted the 430 any number of times on the last lap and he didn't do so!!! The hit in the rear right corner by the 430 looked pretty intentional to me.

Mike
Old 03-18-2007, 02:55 PM
Jarez Mifkin
Three Wheelin'

Note to self, remind me to stay clear of A.Wayne as he thinks running into the back of a person is outdrving them...
Old 03-18-2007, 02:56 PM
carreracup21
Three Wheelin'

I thought Jorg acted very restrained in the post race interview. Obviously very dissapointed, he gave his opinion, was calm and moved on. Seems like a real gentleman to me given what happened.
Old 03-18-2007, 03:00 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jmorris3
Note to self, remind me to stay clear of A.Wayne as he thinks running into the back of a person is outdrving them...

Haaa, haa, not to worry morris3 , i never start from the back , so there is no chance of this happening to you ....
Old 03-18-2007, 03:08 PM
cooleyjb
Documenter of Ineptitude
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
Ohh yeah, the 13/13 guys are it again

Jorg blew the race OK , he went down the inside and did not hold the inside line to block melos as he wanted more exit speed , HE WAS OUT DRIVEN AS HE WAS ALL RACE BY A BETTER TEAM AND DRIVERS, who if not for recieving a pit lane infraction , jorg would not have been close enough to challenge for the lead , get over it and head back to DE guys... the better drivers and team won
If he was beaten by a better team how come Ferrari was the one that had the infraction. I'd argue that the teams were both pretty equal considering the amount of time in the pits. IIRC the pit time difference at the end of the race was 20 seconds and that was attributed to the window washer with his visor up. 2 tenths of a second separating the two cars after 12 hours means the team were equal. You can't ask for better racing than that.

He was outdriven in the last corner yes, but in the last few laps I'd say on average, the Flying Lizard team had the better package. However you can't forget that the Ferrari started at the back of the grid and made it's way past everyone.

Honestly I haven't been on the edge of my seat for the end of a race like that in a while. Bravo to ALMS
Old 03-18-2007, 03:13 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

I gotta go with Wayne here...darn good racing. There's nothing wrong with a little side-to-side contact on the last lap of a 12 hour sprint race. If he had hit Jorg in the back bumper to send him spinning through T17, it would have been a different deal. I've seen everything from Spec Miatas to Star Mazdas bumping side by side in the last corner to get to the checkered flag and it was great racing every time. When I saw Jorg on the inside on the back straight, I knew what Melo was planning well before they every got to T17...Jorg should have known too. Jorg had his own options...he could have overslowed and cut back to the inside as Melo went deep trying to defend the inside. Melo made the better move and Jorg went him as the first loser.
Old 03-18-2007, 03:23 PM
Rick DeMan
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 645 Likes on 202 Posts

A. Wayne....Take off those rose colored glasses...The Porsche was in front in turn 17 by 15 feet....!!

Makes me wonder if you were even watching the same race...We are talking about Sebring 07 correct..

Rick DeMan

DeMan Motorsport
Upper Nyack, NY
845 727 3070
Porsche Sales & Service
Porsche Race services and parts
www.DeManMotorsport.com
Old 03-18-2007, 03:27 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by Rick DeMan
A. Wayne....Take off those rose colored glasses...The Porsche was in front in turn 17 by 15 feet....!!
That's because Melo was setting him up...Melo overslowed so that he could cut back up the inside. Brilliant move that Jorg should have seen coming at the exit of T16.
Old 03-18-2007, 03:32 PM
951M471 CarreraM491
Advanced

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
sweet baby jesus , don't you guys know anything about racing , Jorg was out driven and outfoxed , perfect race finish , Jamie Melos is a racer in anybodys books , jorg needs to be scolded for losing that not crying ...

I've been racing probably longer than you've been on this planet, and I've seen it many times before, and heard all the excuses. What this came down to was that Melo could not handle being beaten in the last corner on the last lap and he took the cowards way out...he ramed his opponent... any monkey can ram into their competitor. You can try to rationalize it anyway you want... but Melo is a coward, and he's luck noone got hurt, I've seen this manuever kill people!!!

It's really too bad... I was actually rooting for Ferrari, but Melo's driving was the worst I've seen since Schumacher punted Villenueve, but at least Schumacher fessed up and apologized. Melo should be racing Nascar!
Old 03-18-2007, 03:44 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Does anyone have a link to the video? All of these accusations of a "ram" don't at all seem to jive with the picture in my mind of the two cars rubbing fenders. A ram would seem to indicate that Melo drove up behind Jorg and bumped his rear bumper.
Old 03-18-2007, 04:02 PM
DanS911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 951M471 CarreraM491
Melo should be racing Nascar!
+1 even "CRASHCAR" says punting in the corners is cowardly.
That place where he hit him is one of the scariest, on the edge with a big wall coming, hanging on the tires kinda places on the track. Right at the top of third gear in my car.

BTW no way that was a side to side contact IMHO.

On the other hand maybe we could make some money on this.
Start selling new "Racing Accessories" those big honkin' bars the cops use on the front of their cruisers.
Helps to clear the way of those annoying cars in front of you

Quick Reply: Melo bumped Jorg!