Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maverick Region Club Race Photos

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 04:08 PM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did the red RS have a full cage with door bars ?
No, it had a Safety Devices bolt in cage with no knee or crossbar. This incident illustrates why we need mandatory weld-in cages built to a spec specified in the rule book. This was a bad hit & Bob is very lucky to be here after it. He is in much worse shape then another close friend was after his 160+ mph incident @ Daytona last year in his 996 cup. A REAL cage would have made a world of difference in this incident. I have already discussed this briefly with a couple of PCA officials & submitted it as a rule suggestion for next year. We also need to mandate HANS devices but that's a no brainer.

PS: George, one of the best cage builders in the country is in the garage next to yours. Get your car over there & get a real cage put in it I've spent enough time in hospitals recently wondering if close friends were going to make it or not after accidents
Old 05-30-2007, 05:16 PM
TR6
Drifting

Originally Posted by JayP
What was the track like? Were there streams across the track on the straights? With this rain, I'd expect it to be soggy.
The track itself was fairly dry with no standing water anywhere by the time this race was running (I had been out in a DE session just prior). The problem was the ground was so muddy and soft that the cars that dipped a wheel off would drag mud on the track. When I was in the DE session, I was coming down to the bottom of the new section and saw the debris flag, rounded turn 7, and the track was covered with mud where someone had gone off and come back on. Yikes.
Old 05-30-2007, 06:30 PM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JW, topp racing?
Old 05-30-2007, 07:07 PM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

JW, topp racing?
Greg,
That's Todd Oppermann's operation. His shop is in Barry Moore's building. His crew maintains our cars & travels with us for support. Great group of guys who have saved out butts too many times to remember

Last edited by JW in Texas; 05-30-2007 at 08:23 PM.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:12 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by JW in Texas
Greg,
That's Todd Oppermann's operation. His shop is in Barry Moore's building. His crew maintains our cars & travels with us for support. Great group of guys who have saved out butts too many times to remember
Amen brother! And they do all kinds of cars. Todd's tearing out my existing cage and building a new one for me once the crew gets back from the soiree up east.

And +1 on the HANS, or other approved H&N restraint (no, I'm not trying to start WWIV here). I was reticent at first, but I'm glad I bought mine and wear it for DE's as well as races.

Last edited by Toby Pennycuff; 05-30-2007 at 09:26 PM.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:35 PM
rickdm
Racer

I was at the DE this weekend, and there were about 15 of us on the upper porch watching as this accident unfolded. First seeing the dirt get thrown onto the track, and then the results. It all seemed to happen in slow motion as the red car went off on the inside and then rolled back onto the rack onto the path of the white car. The impact was unbelievable, it had to be about 80mph. There were many wives and girlfriends on the balcony who literally screamed at the impact. I just pray the driver of the red car recovers fully.

After watching Toby and Pat run their first race, I was beginning to think racing might be a fun thing to do. After watching the accident I have begun to think that I should wait until I get a full cage in the car.

rickdm
Old 05-30-2007, 09:32 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by rickdm
After watching Toby and Pat run their first race, I was beginning to think racing might be a fun thing to do. After watching the accident I have begun to think that I should wait until I get a full cage in the car.

rickdm
Rick,

C'mon in! The water's just fine. Yes, you ABSOLUTELY want a cage welded into the car. And spend the money to get whatever H&N device floats your boat. Just get one!

TBP
Old 05-30-2007, 10:14 PM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JW in Texas
Greg,
I've heard several times before that he's THE man around here to do cages. I need to talk to him about some designs and talk $$$, I was thinking of having him do it over winter. I know which building it is, but I forget, is there a door or office that I should knock on? Is there a good time to talk to him?

Originally Posted by rickdm
I should wait until I get a full cage in the car.
Definitely, I wouldn't ever do any w2w racing in anything less than a 6pt welded cage with side protection. The PCA rules really are lacking here IMO.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:36 PM
cooleyjb
Documenter of Ineptitude
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by Greg Smith
Definitely, I wouldn't ever do any w2w racing in anything less than a 6pt welded cage with side protection. The PCA rules really are lacking here IMO.

After reading this I decided to go look at the rules to see what htey were.

They let you race with a bolt in roll bar if you are in stock classes. ARE YOU KIDDING ME. A roll bar in a wheel to wheel race. What a joke of a rule. I personally wouldn't want to be on the track with someone who just had a bolt in rollbar.

Is this ever going to be changed. However I have yet to see someone in a CR that has had just a rollbar.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:40 PM
bmoore
Instructor

You can reach Todd at 214-469-8391 or toddoppermann@yahoo.com
I tested one of his cages after going under the bridge at Road Atlanta and hitting the inside concrete wall very hard. Car was totaled but I was ok.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:50 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,433 Likes on 767 Posts

I've heard several times before that he's THE man around here to do cages. I need to talk to him about some designs and talk $$$, I was thinking of having him do it over winter. I know which building it is, but I forget, is there a door or office that I should knock on? Is there a good time to talk to him?

Whatever you do, do NOT, under ANY circumstances, knock on the door marked Container Waste.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:07 PM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Whatever you do, do NOT, under ANY circumstances, knock on the door marked Container Waste.
Error 404: teh funny failed

Thanks Barry.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:45 PM
Dick Dobson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Great pics, thanks for posting.
Old 05-31-2007, 12:01 AM
amondc
Burning Brakes

Just got an email from Todd that he changed his email address to toppracing@gmail.com
Old 05-31-2007, 12:07 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,433 Likes on 767 Posts

Error 404: teh funny failed

Thanks Barry.

Actually, the people who got the joke laughed a lot.

Quick Reply: Maverick Region Club Race Photos