A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default European GP 07

Ok f1 addict's , It is time for the Alonso ,Kimi, Lewis and massa show

European Grand Prix Preview
Wednesday 18th July 2007

Right now, the grand prix weekends seem like a mild distraction from all the news washing over F1 right now. Stepneygate dominates the news pages with ludicrous leaks of watertight legal documents (i.e. newspapers are just making stuff up) and outlandish counter claims (other people just making stuff up); then there's Honda continuing to pursue other teams' technical staff, Red Bull announcing Geoff Willis as their Technical Director, the customer car row being brought to a head by Bernie Ecclestone, a new F1 circuit at Indy and the teams trying to delay the FIA's energy recovery rules.

As if that wasn't enough there's a new driver in an F1 seat. Spyker have confirmed that Markus Winkelhock will make his Grand Prix debut at this weekend's European Grand Prix. Markus, is the son of the late F1 driver Manfred and has put in time as a Spyker tester this year. Winkelhock Senior raced for similarly underfunded F1 teams before being killed in a Kremer Porsche at Mosport in Canada.

However while Manfred's time in F1 stretched over five seasons, Markus should enjoy his moment in the spotlight. Team boss Colin Kolles said: "I am pleased to be able to reward Markus for his patience and loyalty to the team over the last 18 months with his F1 debut at the Nurburgring. It's very much a one-off race at the moment as we need some more time to decide who will be Adrian's partner for the rest of the year."

Which is great news for Sutil because now it's official - they're not going to offload him before the end of the season.

Meanwhile at the front of the grid, battle will be rejoined between Ferrari and Mclaren with Ferrari still the favourites to peg back the gap at the top of both tables. Testing at Spa ended with Kimi Raikkonen fastest, though the circuit is far more of a low downforce set-up than the Nurburgring, which has a balance of fast and slow corners, not unlike Silverstone but with much greater changes of elevation.

Ferrari didn't too badly there either, come to think of it.

There are places to overtake at the German circuit and so we should be in for some more wheel-to-wheel action - if not at the front, then certainly in the midfield.

We had an epic rain-affected race in 1999 when Johnny Herbert won in a Stewart from 14th on the grid and it's about time we had more rain and another barnstorming GP. And some different people on the podium.

Felipe Massa will be keen to challenge Raikkonen for the bragging rights at Ferrari after his gridline stall put him to the back, but there is still a niggling doubt that there may be an anomaly in his engine unit which he will have to race again at the Nurburgring.

Competition will be just as fierce as ever it is between the McLaren team-mates, especially after allegations that Fernando Alonso tried to mislead the McLaren team over set-up at Silverstone to make sure he got the edge on Lewis Hamilton. At Planet-F1 we prefer ****-up theory to conspiracy theory and though Alonso's less than diplomatic comments about Hamilton's GB performance indicate a huge degree of Schardenfreude, that's probably all it was.

But the duel will be as fascinating as ever.

BMW will be keen to mix it with their Mercedes rivals in The Stuttgart company's German backyard, but while they might get close to them on the power circuits of Spa and Monza, Mclaren-Mercedes should have the edge at the 'Ring.

Mclaren have a perfect finishing record in 2007, unlike the Red Bull and Toro Rosso teams who have a less-than 50% finishing record. It's a joke we've made before but for a product that's supposed to keep you going all night, the Red Bull teams can't keep their cars going for more than about 10 laps.
Attached Images  

Last edited by A.Wayne; 07-20-2007 at 04:21 AM.
Old 07-20-2007, 04:15 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Default Thursday's press conference - Europe

Thursday, July 19th 2007, 15:51 GMT

Participating: Lewis Hamilton (McLaren Mercedes), Nick Heidfeld (BMW Sauber), Christian Klien (Honda), Nico Rosberg (Williams), Ralf Schumacher (Toyota), Adrian Sutil (Spyker).

Q. Christian, you drove both the Honda and the Spyker at the Spa test; what was that like?

Christian Klien: Well, it was obviously a great experience to drive two different cars on one track in one test. Spyker invited me for a test just to get to know the team, get to know the car as well.

Obviously testing is very restricted this year for a test driver, so it's important to get as much time in the car as possible so we sat down with Honda and asked them if there was a possibility to test with Spyker and they agreed, they were very supportive, and they loaned me to Spyker for this test day.

It was a very interesting test and obviously there's maybe a chance to do some racing for them this year.

Q. What chances are there of a race drive next year?

CK: It's all very open. I've done the test with Spyker, so it's down to them if they give me the chance to race for them this year. With Honda, we have to see. You will know in one hour.

Q. Ralf, again, testing looked pretty good at Spa, fourth fastest on the first two days.

Ralf Schumacher: We seem to pick up pace, especially on those kind of circuits. Spa is another quick circuit which seems to suit our car. Obviously we have to wait and see how it is here but it shouldn't be too bad either.

Q. Your feelings about this race? You've qualified second twice here, you've won here as well, three times fourth in the race.

RS: Well, it would be great to repeat it, but this year it's a little bit difficult, I guess. But we are trying hard. For us, the priority is top ten in qualifying with both cars and then we see from there.

Q. But you feel this sort of circuit doesn't really suit your car as well as one with longer, faster corners.

RS: That I don't know because I haven't been here with the car. We will find out during the weekend, but having said that, why should it be worse? We know which direction we have to go to make it work so I hope we will do so here as well.

Q. When is that coming, when is that likely?

RS: We know what we have to do with the car, it exists. In the last few races we've changed a few things and that should apply for this circuit as well. We will find out tomorrow.

Q. Adrian, one year on since you made your Formula One debut here at this circuit, a bit more than a year in fact. What are your feelings about your Formula One career so far?

Adrian Sutil: Yes, it's nice to be back here. Last year it was my first time in the car here on the Friday and it was a great day. This time it's as a race driver, my first home Grand Prix. It's a really nice feeling and I really look forward to the race weekend.

Q. But you have a new teammate and probably a new teammate at the next race as well. How disruptive is that for you?

AS: It doesn't matter for me really. I'm concentrating on my own things. It's nice to have Markus next to me, he's a really, really nice guy. I like him and I think we will have a good weekend. But I don't really care about my teammates. I know what my job is and I try to do it as well as possible.

Q. Is the car difficult to drive? We've seen a few excursions over the last few races.

AS: For sure it's difficult to drive but normally in qualifying we have a good balance and I'm quite happy with the car. We had some technical problems in the last races. Hopefully they are fixed for this race and for the following races as well. But I'm confident. I'm always confident, and for our possibilities at the moment I'm quite happy with the car.

Q. Nico, we could say that you've had a lot of bad luck. Is it bad luck or is it something that could have been avoided? It seems to have continued and continued.

Nico Rosberg: Yeah, sometimes it just didn't go the right way as it sometimes is in races and at other times, it was just not good enough on the reliability front and that's it. So I don't think bad luck, as such, really counts. The results this year, points-wise, could have gone a lot better but that's just the way it is and I hope that in the coming races I can break loose and score some points, that would be great.

Q. Are developments coming along OK at a reasonable rate?

NR: Yeah, definitely. The factory is working very hard, and we've had a whole new (range of) aero parts and everything coming through lately. We're definitely making progress but so is everybody else and I think we've kind of stayed where we were, more or less, so it's really important to try and get a few bits and pieces coming again in the near future to try and break into the top eight again.

Q. What about this race?

NR: I think this track is good for our car, similar to Monaco or places like that. It's going to suit our car a little bit better, I think, so there's a better chance here for us to get some points than compared to Silverstone, for instance.

Q. Lewis, how are you? I hear you've had some 'flu.

Lewis Hamilton: Yeah, I'm OK, I've just not had a great week. I was a bit ill at the beginning of the week but I'm feeling a lot better now.

Q. And a busy day today; tell us about what you've been doing so far?

LH: It's normal. We have plenty of appearances to do and some working with Mercedes Benz. The weather's not been great. People say it's typical English weather but if you look at Silverstone, I think we had a good weekend.

Q. And also some karting today as well.

LH: Yeah, we did the Vodafone karting event and it's really nerve-wracking going back in a go-kart because I'm a bit rusty. I know Nico's been in a kart since me.

NR: You're lucky I was not at the event.

LH: But I was on form. I was actually quite impressed. It's good to see the youngsters... it's incredible to see how quick these young kids are, how committed they are.

Q. More committed than you remember being at that age?

LH: I wouldn't say more than me, but I'm just remembering how committed you are at such a young age. It's good to still see that people are like that.

Q. What is your approach now to the coming races? Halfway through the season, you are leading the championship. People have been talking, even McLaren have been talking, about adopting a relatively conservative approach.

LH: Of course we have to bear in mind that we have to try and finish every race and maintain the level if we can. But that doesn't mean that we slack. We are going to keep on pushing hard to beat everyone.

That is how we have been all season. The whole team is pushing extremely hard back at the factory to improve the car. I'm working hard at my training to improve my game. Yes we go into the race thinking ‘ok, we need the points.' But we want to win, so it is a balance.

Q. A difficult balance?

LH: I don't think it is difficult, maybe it would be for some people…

Q. Nick, you didn't test at Spa, how do you feel about coming to this race?

Nick Heidfeld: Obviously I'm very much looking forward to my home Grand Prix. Spa is a very different circuit to here and we actually didn't test a lot of parts for the Nurburgring.

I think we are coming here knowing that we have a good package. As in the last couple of races we are maybe trying to keep Renault behind us and trying to hold our position in the constructor's championship. Of course we are trying to go forward and challenge Ferrari and McLaren but as we have seen at Silverstone and Magny-Cours they are too far ahead.

Q. Apart from the gearbox problem though, your team were taking on the McLaren-Mercedes at the Spa test.

NH: Yes, the team was very happy with the test we did there. Actually we did expect it to go well because we knew it was a similar downforce package as we use in Indianapolis and Canada where we have already been strong this year.

Q. And of course on this circuit you have had mixed results but some very good ones. Your first pole…

NH: Yes, I prefer to remember the good ones. I got my very first pole position here, my first and only one so far. I also finished second the same weekend. Of course it would be fantastic to do the same again at my home Grand Prix. But as I just said at the moment I think we are the third strongest team so fifth position would be good.

Questions From The Floor

Q. (Andrea Cremonesi - La Gazzetta dello Sport) A question for Lewis. Of course next week will be very important for the situation of McLaren in this championship. What is your feeling, knowing that everything you have worked for could be cancelled?

LH: I'm not really bothered about it to be honest. I don't think that is going to happen, so I'm not worried, I'm very confident. I'm confident in what the team has done over the years and I have every confidence in the team now. I don't believe anything like that would happen. On my part that is all I'm going to say. Otherwise you should speak to Fernando.

Q. (Erik Kirschbaum – Reuters) Ralf, you have had a difficult and frustrating year so far. How do you feel about coming home now and would you call this your most frustrating year in Formula One?

RS: First of all it is good to be here, good to be back. I have hope that one of us [Germans] that we have here now can do something for the home fans who have come to see us. So far yes it has been a difficult year result-wise. But we have made some progress recently. We have made some progress with the car performance. It is only mid-season so there are a lot of races to go really. I'm quite sure that towards the end we will be slightly stronger as well.

Q. (Marco Degl'Innocenti – La Gazzetta dello Sport) A question to you all. What do you expect from the FIA council on Thursday? Can you imagine a punishment for McLaren?

NH: I don't know really what to expect because I don't have enough information about it. I have read about it in the press but I focus on myself, on the job I do inside the team. Of course I will watch it and see what happens but I have no clue what will happen.

Q. Ralf, your brother told us that you talked in Canada and after that he had a good feeling and he said you were on your way and you had some opportunities for next year. Can you tell us some news?

RS: If you talked to him you should know! All I can say is that at the moment I concentrate on what I do. As soon as I have any news I'm sure you will be the first to know. At the moment there is nothing to say.

Q. (Carole Capitaine – L'Equipe) Question for Lewis. At Silverstone you said you had a problem with the set-up on your car. What do you expect from this race?

LH: I expect it to be better. We went down a certain route… You only have P1, P2, P3 and it's not a lot of time to find the perfect set-up. Sometimes you go down one route and its too late to go back to another one, you don't have enough time so you continue with that and hope it is good enough. We didn't have the right set-up for once at Silverstone. Going into this weekend we understand where we went wrong, we think we come here a bit stronger.

Q. (MC) How good was the Spa test for you?

LH: The Spa test went well for me, I had a nice clear day with no rain. I think everyone else had some rain over the next couple of days. It was a real boost of confidence for me. We got there and the car felt better than it has felt all season so I was very, very happy. We did the team briefing and I was just comfortable with my set-up. When you drive a car that you are comfortable with it is just a pleasure. So for once I enjoyed testing.

Q. (MC) So would that have actually been a step forward in terms of set-up for future races?

LH: Maybe for that track. But in terms of just making sure we have the right direction I think we have gone back to where we were before and we have to continue to make sure we improve in that area.
Old 07-20-2007, 04:17 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Default NURBURGRING FORECAST and Timetable

Friday Hi 27°C / 81°F
T-storms Lo 14°C / 57°F

Sat.
Hi 23°C / 73°F
Partly Cloudy Lo 10°C / 50°F

Sunday
Hi 21°C / 70°F
Showers Lo 12°C / 53°F

Time Table ,

Friday 20 July
10h00 - 11h30: First free practice
14h00 - 15h30: Second free practice
16h00: FIA press conference

Saturday 21 July
11h00 - 12h00: Third free practice
14h00 - 15h00: Qualifying
14h00: FIA post qualifying press conference

Sunday 22 July
14h00 - 16h00: European GP
16h00: FIA post race press conference

European GP Info
No of Laps: 60
Race Distance: 308.863 km
Lap Record: Michael Schumacher (Ferrari) 1:29.468
2006 Winner: Michael Schumacher (Ferrari)
Old 07-20-2007, 10:39 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It's only Friday but looking pretty good.
Attached Images  
Old 07-20-2007, 11:44 AM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

I know its only Friday but at where Ralphie is coming in....... Hey, its his home track. Lets see what's in that Toyota and GO Kimi and Felipe and Lewis..... I'm looking forward to an interesting WET race.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:34 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
It's only Friday but looking pretty good.
Yeah for Whom ? Finn,

you are Starting to get chirpy @ GP time again , It's all good , i would hate taking the spoils of victory from one so Depressed
Old 07-20-2007, 12:35 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Default Hamilton fastest in practice 1 - Europe

By Matt Beer Friday, July 20th 2007, 09:33 GMT

Championship leader Lewis Hamilton led the way for McLaren in the first practice session for the European Grand Prix at the Nurburgring.

The Briton held the top spot for the majority of the 90 minutes. His first flying lap was spoiled when he ran wide at the RTL Kurve, but he moved to first position next time around.

Hamilton would remain there until the final ten minutes, when the lead contenders switched to the softer compound for the first time and he was momentarily pushed down to fourth behind Kimi Raikkonen, Fernando Alonso and Nick Heidfeld.

But Hamilton completed his own soft tyre run a few moments later, and returned to the top of the list with a 1:32.515.

That put him 0.236 seconds clear of Raikkonen's Ferrari, with Alonso holding third in the second McLaren.

The world champion had gone down the escape road at the chicane on his first run of the morning after encountering Felipe Massa on an out lap.

Alonso rejoined ahead of Massa on the exit of the corner, then rebuffed the Brazilian's attempt to pass on the pits straight, before Massa backed off and allowed the McLaren to pull away.

Massa ended the session in sixth place, behind the two BMWs, after a mistake on his last run.

Heidfeld and teammate Robert Kubica had held second and third behind Hamilton for much of the morning, and both lapped within a few hundredths of a second of the McLaren before the late improvements from the top three drivers.

As has been their practice in recent races, the Toyotas dominated the times for the first half hour as Ralf Schumacher and Jarno Trulli were the first of the leading drivers to attempt flying laps. Schumacher was ultimately shuffled down to seventh, with Trulli in 11th.

Honda's newly re-signed Jenson Button and Rubens Barrichello took eighth and 10th, sandwiching David Coulthard's Red Bull.

Renault had a difficult session, with Heikki Kovalainen and Giancarlo Fisichella only 18th and 19th - the latter having spun through the gravel at the newly renamed Schumacher S.

Debutant Markus Winkelhock had a tough start to his first Grand Prix weekend in the Spyker recently vacated by Christijan Albers.

The German ended the morning slowest of all and 0.8 seconds adrift of teammate Adrian Sutil. He also had a quick spin in the final part of the stadium section, but was able to resume with minimal delay.

The weather remained dry throughout the session, but dark clouds were gathering towards the end of the morning, hinting that rain might intervene later in the day.

Pos Driver Team Time Laps
1. Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes (B) 1:32.515 26
2. Raikkonen Ferrari (B) 1:32.751 + 0.236 24
3. Alonso McLaren-Mercedes (B) 1:32.932 + 0.417 27
4. Heidfeld BMW Sauber (B) 1:32.975 + 0.460 35
5. Kubica BMW Sauber (B) 1:33.205 + 0.690 34
6. Massa Ferrari (B) 1:33.605 + 1.090 24
7. R.Schumacher Toyota (B) 1:33.825 + 1.310 32
8. Button Honda (B) 1:33.936 + 1.421 28
9. Coulthard Red Bull-Renault (B) 1:34.062 + 1.547 25
10. Barrichello Honda (B) 1:34.142 + 1.627 25
11. Trulli Toyota (B) 1:34.152 + 1.637 34
12. Wurz Williams-Toyota (B) 1:34.345 + 1.830 32
13. Rosberg Williams-Toyota (B) 1:34.563 + 2.048 32
14. Davidson Super Aguri-Honda (B) 1:34.567 + 2.052 30
15. Webber Red Bull-Renault (B) 1:34.683 + 2.168 22
16. Sato Super Aguri-Honda (B) 1:34.708 + 2.193 36
17. Liuzzi Toro Rosso-Ferrari (B) 1:34.907 + 2.392 31
18. Kovalainen Renault (B) 1:34.921 + 2.406 21
19. Fisichella Renault (B) 1:35.077 + 2.562 22
20. Speed Toro Rosso-Ferrari (B) 1:35.643 + 3.128 15
21. Sutil Spyker-Ferrari (B) 1:36.340 + 3.825 22
22. Winkelhock Spyker-Ferrari (B) 1:37.116 + 4.601 30
Attached Images  
Old 07-20-2007, 12:36 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Default Raikkonen quickest in practice 2 - Europe

By Matt Beer Friday, July 20th 2007, 13:32 GMT

Kimi Raikkonen moved to the top of the times in the second free practice session at the Nurburgring.

The winner of the last two Grands Prix beat morning pace-setter Lewis Hamilton by 0.139 seconds, with Felipe Massa and Fernando Alonso taking third and fourth.

The drivers initially took to the track on intermediates in the wake of the downpour that had affected the GP2 practice session.

But Jenson Button was the only driver to actually complete a flying lap on the intermediate Bridgestones, as Hamilton came out on dry rubber and immediately beat the Honda's time by a full 15 seconds.

Alonso, Massa and Raikkonen then all took turns to go fastest before Hamilton reclaimed the position as the hour mark approached.

Then with five minutes remaining, Raikkonen set the 1:33.339 lap that would stand as the fastest of the afternoon.

Hamilton tried to respond, but had a spin at the Michelin Kurve. He rejoined without drama, only to go off the road and across the grass at the Ford Kurve on his next lap, leaving him to settle for second.

The session saw extremely close times throughout the order, with the four title contenders covered by just 0.298 seconds, and the first 15 cars lapping within 1.092 seconds of Raikkonen's pace.

Ralf Schumacher took fifth for Toyota, less than a tenth behind Alonso, and a similarly small margin ahead of teammate Jarno Trulli.

Williams' Nico Rosberg and Honda's Button took seventh and eighth, with the two BMWs unable to repeat their morning form and ending the session in the final top ten positions.

Despite the treacherous conditions, there were relatively few incidents.

Massa ran wide on the exit of the stadium on his penultimate lap and bounced over the grass without damage.

Vitantonio Liuzzi emulated Hamilton's error at the Ford Kurve, but went significantly further off the road before regaining the asphalt.

Newcomer Markus Winkelhock ended the session in the gravel, after spinning at the Bit Kurve with 20 minutes remaining. He ended the session slowest of all, 0.8 seconds behind his Spyker teammate Adrian Sutil.

1. Raikkonen Ferrari (B) 1:33.339 28
2. Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes (B) 1:33.478 + 0.139 28
3. Massa Ferrari (B) 1:33.590 + 0.251 27
4. Alonso McLaren-Mercedes (B) 1:33.637 + 0.298 30
5. R.Schumacher Toyota (B) 1:33.668 + 0.329 18
6. Trulli Toyota (B) 1:33.746 + 0.407 22
7. Rosberg Williams-Toyota (B) 1:33.845 + 0.506 24
8. Button Honda (B) 1:33.880 + 0.541 36
9. Heidfeld BMW Sauber (B) 1:34.146 + 0.807 22
10. Kubica BMW Sauber (B) 1:34.221 + 0.882 19
11. Webber Red Bull-Renault (B) 1:34.235 + 0.896 29
12. Wurz Williams-Toyota (B) 1:34.264 + 0.925 21
13. Sato Super Aguri-Honda (B) 1:34.357 + 1.018 26
14. Barrichello Honda (B) 1:34.411 + 1.072 26
15. Fisichella Renault (B) 1:34.431 + 1.092 28
16. Kovalainen Renault (B) 1:34.446 + 1.107 25
17. Coulthard Red Bull-Renault (B) 1:34.504 + 1.165 19
18. Davidson Super Aguri-Honda (B) 1:34.554 + 1.215 26
19. Speed Toro Rosso-Ferrari (B) 1:35.320 + 1.981 26
20. Liuzzi Toro Rosso-Ferrari (B) 1:35.653 + 2.314 24
21. Sutil Spyker-Ferrari (B) 1:36.527 + 3.188 25
22. Winkelhock Spyker-Ferrari (B) 1:37.319 + 3.980 19
Attached Images  
Old 07-20-2007, 12:38 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
Yeah for Whom ? Finn,

you are Starting to get chirpy @ GP time again , It's all good , i would hate taking the spoils of victory from one so Depressed
...At the Helsinki airport when I was leaving for Miami few days ago, I looked at the big 1 liter Finlandia bottles thinking should I buy one to take home in Miami (I of course always stock up one or two of those) but then I remember why should I since Wayne will bring me one pretty soon...

BTW, I bought "Minttu" bottle instead!
(in case you don't know what it is, we'll fix that when we meet)
Old 07-20-2007, 12:44 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
...At the Helsinki airport when I was leaving for Miami few days ago, I looked at the big 1 liter Finlandia bottles thinking should I buy one to take home in Miami (I of course always stock up one or two of those) but then I remember why should I since Wayne will bring me one pretty soon...

BTW, I bought "Minttu" bottle instead!
(in case you don't know what it is, we'll fix that when we meet)
Welcome back to Paradise
Old 07-21-2007, 10:54 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Default Raikkonen fastest in practice 3 - Europe

By Matt Beer Saturday, July 21st 2007, 10:07 GMT

Kimi Raikkonen dominated the final free practice session before qualifying for the European Grand Prix at the Nurburgring today.

The Ferrari driver was the first of the leading contenders to take to the track and held the top spot for the majority of the hour.

With 20 minutes remaining, Fernando Alonso produced a 1:32.039 lap in his McLaren to beat Raikkonen by 0.065 seconds, but this was swiftly beaten when the field switched to soft tyres for the final scramble in the last five minutes.

Again Raikkonen was the first of the top four drivers to set a time on softs, and immediately retook first place by 0.643 seconds, lapping in 1:31.396.

Lewis Hamilton improved to second for McLaren, 0.231 seconds behind Raikkonen, and four tenths of a second clear of teammate Alonso.

Before the soft tyre runs, the title contending quartet had been in a class of their own - covered by just two tenths of a second, and with everyone from fifth place back a second or more slower.

But BMW's Robert Kubica managed to infiltrate the top four with his final run, equalling Alonso's time and being classified fourth.

He pushed Felipe Massa down to fifth, as the Ferrari driver made an error on his soft tyre lap.

Williams were strong throughout the session and Nico Rosberg ended the hour sixth, ahead of Kubica's teammate Nick Heidfeld.

The Red Bulls of Mark Webber and David Coulthard were next up, with Ralf Schumacher's Toyota completing the top ten.

It was another low key session for reigning champions Renault, as Giancarlo Fisichella and Heikki Kovalainen only managed 16th and 18th places respectively.

The Finnish rookie missed the final quarter of an hour after slowing suddenly with a mechanical problem and having to cruise back to the pits.

1. Raikkonen Ferrari (B) 1:31.396 18
2. Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes (B) 1:31.627 + 0.231 12
3. Alonso McLaren-Mercedes (B) 1:32.039 + 0.643 11
4. Kubica BMW Sauber (B) 1:32.039 + 0.643 18
5. Massa Ferrari (B) 1:32.217 + 0.821 18
6. Rosberg Williams-Toyota (B) 1:32.344 + 0.948 16
7. Heidfeld BMW Sauber (B) 1:32.581 + 1.185 20
8. Webber Red Bull-Renault (B) 1:32.632 + 1.236 16
9. Coulthard Red Bull-Renault (B) 1:32.679 + 1.283 18
10. R.Schumacher Toyota (B) 1:32.788 + 1.392 21
11. Liuzzi Toro Rosso-Ferrari (B) 1:32.841 + 1.445 20
12. Button Honda (B) 1:32.869 + 1.473 18
13. Trulli Toyota (B) 1:32.936 + 1.540 20
14. Speed Toro Rosso-Ferrari (B) 1:32.974 + 1.578 14
15. Wurz Williams-Toyota (B) 1:33.154 + 1.758 16
16. Fisichella Renault (B) 1:33.214 + 1.818 17
17. Barrichello Honda (B) 1:33.229 + 1.833 19
18. Kovalainen Renault (B) 1:33.484 + 2.088 13
19. Davidson Super Aguri-Honda (B) 1:33.792 + 2.396 20
20. Sato Super Aguri-Honda (B) 1:33.945 + 2.549 19
21. Sutil Spyker-Ferrari (B) 1:34.423 + 3.027 20
22. Winkelhock Spyker-Ferrari (B) 1:36.090 + 4.694 19
Old 07-21-2007, 10:55 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Default Raikkonen beats Alonso to Europe pole

By Matt Beer Saturday, July 21st 2007, 13:35 GMT

Kimi Raikkonen took pole position for the European Grand Prix in a session interrupted by a substantial accident for championship leader Lewis Hamilton.

Hamilton had just set the fastest time in the first sector when a loose right front wheel caused his McLaren to slew straight on in the first part of the flat out Schumacher S.

The McLaren sped across the gravel trap and made violent contact with the tyre barrier. The Briton attempted to extricate himself from the cockpit but was clearly in some discomfort and stopped to await medical assistance.

The session was immediately red-flagged while the doctors attended to Hamilton, who waved to the crowd while being stretchered to a waiting ambulance.

He was taken to the medical centre, where it was confirmed that he had escaped without injury, although he must still await clearance from the medical officials to participate in tomorrow's Grand Prix.

The session was halted for nearly half an hour when Hamilton received attention and the tyre barriers were re-assembled.

When the action resumed there was only time for a single flying lap for the remaining contenders.

Felipe Massa moved straight to provisional pole, but was soon usurped by his Ferrari teammate Raikkonen.

Fernando Alonso beat the Ferrari's time in the first sector but a major error in the middle sector meant he could only manage second on the grid behind Raikkonen, who clinched his first pole since the season-opener.

Massa had to settle for third, ahead of the BMWs of Nick Heidfeld and Robert Kubica.

Mark Webber broke into the top six for Red Bull, with Heikki Kovalainen seventh in the best of the Renaults.

The Toyotas took eighth and ninth, with Hamilton placed tenth with the best of his fuel-burning laps.

Jarno Trulli outqualified teammate Ralf Schumacher, but was fortunate to make it into Q3 at all, having spun at the chicane on his final Q2 lap. Despite ending the session on the grass, his previous time proved sufficient for 10th place and a place in the final segment.

While Kovalainen made it into the top ten with his final lap of Q2, his Renault teammate Giancarlo Fisichella did not get the same improvement, and was pushed back to 13th place, behind the two Williams.

Just 0.018 seconds split Nico Rosberg and Alex Wurz, and both nudged into the top ten near the end of Q2, but were edged back to the sixth row.

Honda's Jenson Button and Red Bull's David Coulthard were the biggest casualties of the first segment.

Button could not find sufficient pace to make the cut and will start 17th, three places behind teammate Rubens Barrichello, while Coulthard rued his team's tactics after having two laps spoilt by being too close to teammate Webber's turbulence, and then being sent out too late to complete his final run.

The combined effect of these problems left him back in 20th on the grid.

Super Aguri were the best of the three small teams in Germany, with Anthony Davidson and Takuma Sato both getting into Q2. They could not progress any further, and will share row eight.

The Toro Rossos took 18th and 19th, Scott Speed ahead of Vitantonio Liuzzi, while the Spykers again filled the final places, with Adrian Sutil 1.4 seconds faster than his temporary teammate Markus Winkelhock.
Europe qualifying breakdown Session 1 Session 2 Session 3
Pos Driver Team Pos Time Lap Pos Time Lap Pos Time Lap
1. Raikkonen Ferrari 3. 1:31.522 3 4. 1:31.237 3 1. 1:31.450 10
2. Alonso McLaren 1. 1:31.074 3 2. 1:30.983 3 2. 1:31.741 10
3. Massa Ferrari 2. 1:31.447 3 1. 1:30.912 3 3. 1:31.778 10
4. Heidfeld BMW Sauber 5. 1:31.889 5 6. 1:31.652 5 4. 1:31.840 10
5. Kubica BMW Sauber 6. 1:31.961 4 5. 1:31.444 6 5. 1:32.123 10
6. Webber Red Bull 13. 1:32.629 6 7. 1:31.661 6 6. 1:32.476 10
7. Kovalainen Renault 12. 1:32.594 7 8. 1:31.783 6 7. 1:32.478 10
8. Trulli Toyota 10. 1:32.381 7 10. 1:31.859 5 8. 1:32.501 10
9. R.Schumacher Toyota 11. 1:32.446 6 9. 1:31.843 6 9. 1:32.570 10
10. Hamilton McLaren 4. 1:31.587 3 3. 1:31.185 3 10. 1:33.833 6
11. Rosberg Williams 7. 1:32.117 7 11. 1:31.978 6
12. Wurz Williams 8. 1:32.173 6 12. 1:31.996 6
13. Fisichella Renault 9. 1:32.378 7 13. 1:32.010 6
14. Barrichello Honda 14. 1:32.674 6 14. 1:32.221 6
15. Davidson Super Aguri 16. 1:32.793 6 15. 1:32.451 6
16. Sato Super Aguri 15. 1:32.678 6 16. 1:32.838 5
17. Button Honda 17. 1:32.983 6
18. Speed Toro Rosso 18. 1:33.038 6
19. Liuzzi Toro Rosso 19. 1:33.148 6
20. Coulthard Red Bull 20. 1:33.151 6
21. Sutil Spyker 21. 1:34.500 9
22. Winkelhock Spyker 22. 1:35.940 6
Attached Images  

Last edited by A.Wayne; 07-21-2007 at 11:15 AM.
Old 07-21-2007, 10:57 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Default Hamilton escapes injury after crash

By Mark Glendenning Saturday, July 21st 2007, 13:43 GMT

Lewis Hamilton after his accident at NurburgringWorld championship leader Lewis Hamilton has escaped serious injury after crashing heavily during qualifying for the European Grand Prix at the Nurburgring.

Hamilton was entering the fast esses after the hairpin during the third phase of qualifying when his McLaren suffered a failure on the right front corner, pitching the car through the gravel and into the tyre wall at high speed.

"It was a failure of the right-hand wheel gun, so effectively the wheel wasn't properly put on," said team boss Ron Dennis.

"But that's not the mechanic's fault. We are not quite sure what failed, but in fact it was quite fortunate because the same gun was used on Fernando's car and he hadn't started to lean on it yet.

"We could tell from that it was a gun failure. At least we know we don't have a problem with the car.

"No injuries, no broken bones, just keeping him in hospital for a couple of hours as precaution," added Dennis.

It took Hamilton some time to climb from the wreckage, whereupon medical personnel loaded him onto a stretcher and took him to the medical centre, where he will remain for the next few hours under observation.

If Hamilton starts the race, he will do it from 10th position.
Attached Images  
Old 07-21-2007, 12:42 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

http://mediacenter.corriere.it/Media...c53b&navName=1

In car video of the accident
Old 07-21-2007, 12:45 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

For the last time , I have no info on Stepney gate .
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: European GP 07