Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Performance difference between Smart Racing and other high end sway bars?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 03:27 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by APKhaos
As chrisp said, SRP bars go up to 31mm, and the arms have a wide range of adjustment. The TRG & Tarret bars top out at 23mm.
FYI- the number sizes that SRP uses are not millimeter measurements, so #27 does not mean 27mm (according to SRP #27=1.125" but 27mm=1.063"). All of their bars have the same outside diameter, they vary the inside diameter to change the rate.

Cory is right about the adjustment bolts being fiddly to get in and out. Curse enough and they'll go for you.
Or use a big enough hammer! Those little shoulder bolts have to be ordered from SRP, it is probably a good idea to get some spares. I had a bolt on the rear Tarett bar on my 944 shake loose in transport (my own fault, I hadn't reconnected everything after alignment as I planned to tighten it all up at the track). Fortunately the Tarett uses off the shelf hardware and I was able to find a replacement in the hardware kit I have in the trailer.
Old 01-20-2008, 05:16 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

more good info from Cory. Thanks.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:56 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So.. when is someone gong to bring up blade type sway systems? All the mentioned setups are the same in function for the most part but the blade systems have some very good attributes to offer.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:24 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Re Kurt's post above:
Be advised that you are seeing the work of a master fabricator and ounce trimmer here. Mere mortals should look on with wonder, but should not try this at home.

Re maximum rear bar rates:
As chrisp said, SRP bars go up to 31mm, and the arms have a wide range of adjustment. The TRG & Tarret bars top out at 23mm.
I had the SRP 31mm on my 85 911, and set it around mid range for typical dry conditions. It was very easy to set for 'oversteer on demand' with a 22/31 tb setup. On a coil-over setup, it would probably be possible to tune it even stiffer. Full soft setting was fine for rain. Cory is right about the adjustment bolts being fiddly to get in and out. Curse enough and they'll go for you.
May I ask what you'd use on a 951 that sees some street driving but is primarily set up for the track?
Old 08-10-2015, 06:06 PM
pojefferson
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"I can't believe there is any performance gain as long as the less costly bars don't fail. I have SRP and I really like them for adjustability and reliability. I chose them because I have seen many Weltmeister failures. The SRP bars are more robust."

Truth.

I have a 1988 Carrera that I describe a "street car that is track-capable". I bought the Tarett bars 2.5 years ago, to round out all the other related suspension/handling mods (i.e. 3 pt strut brace, larger torsion bars, de-cambered ball joints and camber plates, RSR front struts, 934 rear shocks, etc., etc.). I do only about 10 to 12 DE _days_ a year. This is what happened to me part way through the 1st session of a 2-day event (~26 DE days on the Taretts):

Quick Reply: Performance difference between Smart Racing and other high end sway bars?