Sponsored by:

Tow Vehicles (Ford F450)

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 02:22 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Anything they sell in Europ now is underpowered to compete here, they will need a 6+ liter turbo.. I think that is what is holding them up.
They should get on this. I'd buy one.
Old 02-03-2008, 12:29 PM
Ed Newman
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On that note how about diesel vans! I don't understand why Ford and GM thinkg we need 300 hp in a work van. They don't tow much and weigh under 10k loaded. How about a nice 4 liter from some of the euro stuff or maybe bring those toyota full size diesel cargo vans I see in mexico and the carribean here. I spent $16,000.00 on fuel last month for work. I need a better option.
Old 02-03-2008, 02:40 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Newman
On that note how about diesel vans! I don't understand why Ford and GM thinkg we need 300 hp in a work van. They don't tow much and weigh under 10k loaded. How about a nice 4 liter from some of the euro stuff or maybe bring those toyota full size diesel cargo vans I see in mexico and the carribean here. I spent $16,000.00 on fuel last month for work. I need a better option.
GN used to have a deal with Isuzu and put their small diesels in panel trucks. They got great mileage and I know of several that put 300K on them.
Old 02-03-2008, 03:21 PM
d15b7
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Newman
hi!

that is called a 'Dodge Sprinter'. its a full size van, with a Mercedes diesel engine in it (maybe 2.7 liter 5 cyl turbo, i think?). they are showing up all over the place for deliveries (like DHL, FedEX, etc). lots of plumbing supply and other service companies are running them now; they are reliable, and get very good mileage compared to other 'regular' vans.

i don't think that they have much towing capacity, though.

todd
Old 02-03-2008, 11:07 PM
htron435
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally prefer the Dodge 3500 Dually--the Cummins will run forever. In my opinion, the Dodge gives the comfort and drivability of the Chevy but with the reliability of a large commercial diesel truck. I never cared much for the Fords.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:18 AM
d15b7
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

it doesn't have to be a diesel to live a long, useful life:

http://www.wsaw.com/home/headlines/15101381.html

i'd bet that Chevy Silverado has a 350 at its heart! never overhauled, and used for business every day!

todd
Old 02-04-2008, 08:21 AM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts
Default How long do I need to be?

The length of the trailer has to be appropriate for the wheelbase of the tow vehicle. For example, the Toyota Sequoia has the same engine and powertrain as the Toyota Tundra giving it the same towing capacity (around 10,000 lbs.), but with a 122" wheelbase it cannot tow a long trailer as well as the Tundra with a 145" wheelbase. The F-250 short wheelbase is 156" allowing an even longer trailer.

But how long is long enough?

I found a guide here: http://www.rvtowingtips.com/how-long.htm

Note that a 24' trailer will be around 31' from coupler to tail (the way the first table woriks) depending on design. Does that mean a 145" wheelbase is just not enough, or is the table and guidance not that precise? Does 4" really support 1'?

How does this guideline match up with your trailer and tow vehicle?

Last edited by Phokaioglaukos; 02-17-2008 at 09:12 AM.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:30 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Interesting and vauable chart. My CC dually's WB is 172.4. Accordingly I can tow somewhere around 35.5 feet of trailer. My 28 ft Pace is 31 ft overall.

Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
The length of the trailer has to be appropriate for the wheelbase of the tow vehicle. For example, the Toyota Sequoia has the same engine and powertrain as the Toyota Tundra giving it the same towing capacity (around 10,000 lbs.), but with a 122" wheelbase it cannot tow a long trailer as well as the Tundra with a 145" wheelbase. The F-250 short wheelbase is 156" allowing an even longer trailer.

But how long is long enough?

I found a guide here: http://http://www.rvtowingtips.com/how-long.htm

Note that a 24' trailer will be around 31' from coupler to tail (the way the first table woriks) depending on design. Does that mean a 145" wheelbase is just not enough, or is the table and guidance not that precise? Does 4" really support 1'?

How does this guideline match up with your trailer and tow vehicle?
Old 02-04-2008, 11:13 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by d15b7
hi!

that is called a 'Dodge Sprinter'. its a full size van, with a Mercedes diesel engine in it (maybe 2.7 liter 5 cyl turbo, i think?). they are showing up all over the place for deliveries (like DHL, FedEX, etc). lots of plumbing supply and other service companies are running them now; they are reliable, and get very good mileage compared to other 'regular' vans.

i don't think that they have much towing capacity, though.

todd

The load capacity is pretty good, but the tow rating is only like 5k. Clear the vehicle is designed for load carrying in a big box style (clear standing height in the rear) and not towing. They may also be it a bit underpowered for highway use(low peak power and high drag) and probably best suited to city driving.
Old 02-05-2008, 04:56 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,588 Likes on 736 Posts

My experience with Euro Diesel vans is that they go 120Mph++

Especially the 180HP 3.5L V6 turbo diesel in the Mercedes (Dodge) Sprinter vans, basically the same engine you would find in an S320CDI, even the lower 120-130HP vans go 100+Mph. They do cost $60-70K loaded.
But you could not tow anything more than a 20ft trailer, as they are nothing like the big diesel pickup trucks here.

I have tried staying with the big S400CDI and the 740I diesels from Mercedes and BMW in Germany driving a S 430 and they are WAAAY faster than the gasoline version on the autobahn. Diesel does not mean slow.

an R8 diesel with 750lbft of torque anyone?
Old 02-05-2008, 05:48 PM
htron435
Advanced

Reminds me of that episode of Top Gear where they drive the delivery van around the Ring in 10 min. . . I think it's on youtube (like everything else ).
Old 05-05-2008, 03:49 PM
LanceK
Pro

Check out the Dodge.

The Cummins is universally regarded at the best engine (by the diesel guys). 30% less moving parts and a single turbo.

My '06 has been perfect and gets 18 hwy unloaded and hand calculated.

The Ford tends to be the nicer truck overall but is considered to have a "bad heart".

I used to work for FoMoCo and when I purchased my truck was offered an employee price (less than invoice) from buddies who still work there. I still went with the Cummins based on a ton of research AND my friends at Ford who told me the Powerstroke was still junk.

My .02.
Old 05-05-2008, 04:08 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

I have had 2 F350's...My newest one has the 6.0 diesel...and it will be my last Ford product...ever. Wow, what a piece of junk. Cummins Dodge here I come!
Old 05-05-2008, 04:11 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Friend is a huge Ford fan and works at a Ford dealership, on diesels mostly. He just bought a Ford F350, one from two generations back with the 7.3 liter engine. The last Ford diesel that did not have horrible issues. The 6.0 and the current 6.4 are not popular.
Old 05-05-2008, 04:20 PM
LanceK
Pro

Don't mean to bash Ford as they still make great trucks.

And it should be said that the 7.3 is regarded as a legendary engine.

A couple of things.

1. Take a look at the two vehicle of choice for the guys who use these trucks to tow for a living. I'd say conservatively 75% seem to choose Cummins/Dodge.

2. My seat of the pants also gives the nod to the Cummins for the "X factor". Hard to explain these things in words but the best way for me to describe it is the Ford and Chevy feel more Japanese and the Cummins feels more German to me. A small but attractive aspect, especially for Porsche guys...

If Ford came with a Cummins it would be the perfect truck. I chose Dodge because not having as plush an interior etc. was much less important than the performance of the engine.

Quick Reply: Tow Vehicles (Ford F450)